Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2016, 11:12 AM

7,275 posts, read 5,285,135 times

Advertisements

Thread after thread and plastered in the media how a president is elected when he/she doesn't win the popular vote.

I point my finger at the 42% of the people who didn't vote. Even if 10% had legitimate medical or other reasons where it made it impossible to vote, shame on the rest. How can you truly know how this country feels without counting the views of the non voters (who should have voted)? Statistics are only on the 58% who did vote.

It's a shame IMO not voting. I don't buy the "my vote doesn't count" theory because you might live in the wrong colored state. I for one in MA am in an entirely blue state and it was known Hillary would win big here, and she did. Would all of the states played out the same if the rest of the eligible voters bothered to show up? WOuld the rust belt states have flipped if everyone voted? We'll never know, and thus is the plight of the outcome of an election.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2016, 11:17 AM

7,308 posts, read 14,693,069 times
No. All of the States's wouldn't have voted to elect Hillary. This is a message from everyday Americans that we are tired of the same ole corrupt politicians in Washinton. And Hillary is corrupt to the bone. That lyin' dog would sell you out in a heartbeat. She's is our country's Judas.

Old 11-12-2016, 11:18 AM

7,275 posts, read 5,285,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post
No. All of the States's wouldn't have voted to elect Hillary. This is a message from everyday Americans that we are tired of the same ole corrupt politicians in Washinton. And Hillary is corrupt to the bone. That lyin' dog would sell you out in a heartbeat. She's is our country's Judas.
I never said what would have occurred. But math and statistics can point to the rust belt, and wonder if the rest of the non voters voted, would those states have stayed blue as they always do? Non voters effect the outcome equally if not more than tallying up the votes.

Old 11-12-2016, 11:32 AM

39,078 posts, read 51,239,172 times
Republicans don't want more people to vote. They have been working overtime at suppression. 300,000 voters in Wisconsin lacked hard ID for voting. Trump won by 27,000. High fives all around.

Old 11-12-2016, 11:35 AM

15,637 posts, read 10,393,078 times
Who has said all, or even a majority, of the nonvoters in the election would have voted for Hillary?

Old 11-12-2016, 11:47 AM

7,308 posts, read 14,693,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Republicans don't want more people to vote. They have been working overtime at suppression. 300,000 voters in Wisconsin lacked hard ID for voting. Trump won by 27,000. High fives all around.
If they lacked a hard ID they shouldn't be voting. Getting an ID is not a difficult task for anyone unless they are here illegally.

Old 11-12-2016, 12:06 PM

4,428 posts, read 6,510,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmancpa View Post
Thread after thread and plastered in the media how a president is elected when he/she doesn't win the popular vote.

I point my finger at the 42% of the people who didn't vote. Even if 10% had legitimate medical or other reasons where it made it impossible to vote, shame on the rest. How can you truly know how this country feels without counting the views of the non voters (who should have voted)? Statistics are only on the 58% who did vote.

It's a shame IMO not voting. I don't buy the "my vote doesn't count" theory because you might live in the wrong colored state. I for one in MA am in an entirely blue state and it was known Hillary would win big here, and she did. Would all of the states played out the same if the rest of the eligible voters bothered to show up? WOuld the rust belt states have flipped if everyone voted? We'll never know, and thus is the plight of the outcome of an election.
I didn't vote because I didn't like any of the canidates. And I don't vote the lesser of two evils.

On top this in any give election 40% to 50% don't show. Soooooo

Old 11-12-2016, 12:06 PM

8,069 posts, read 6,970,740 times
It's a combination of a lot of factors including people not voting. Personally and this my opinion Clinton was a big problem. The fact that she didn't strongly speak against the TPP and did not make it part of her agenda made her lose those Midwestern states and PA. I can understand people not trusting her about keeping the jobs here because I did not either.

Another factor is that a lot of people in those swing/light blue states wanted a change.

Did they make the right bet? Only time we tell, but I am very afraid Trump will betray them and side with the swamp he was supposed to drain. Trump is a wild card. My only hope is that the man is a narcissist, he might actually side with the people who elected him.

This idea that everything that happened in this country is Obama's fault is ridiculous. Republicans have had a lot of power in the last decades. The GOP establishment is far worse. These people want people do die on the streets, work without benefits, send most jobs overseas and retire without any social programs.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United...ol_of_Congress

Old 11-12-2016, 12:07 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,261,787 times
There is also the gerrymandering, i.e., redistricting Republicans have favored so much, and that has given the Congress so many GOP members. When that goes away in 2023, things will most likely be massively different.

Old 11-12-2016, 12:10 PM

8,069 posts, read 6,970,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
Who has said all, or even a majority, of the nonvoters in the election would have voted for Hillary?
That is fair question.

I think it's time for democrats to move on and stop pretending it was all a conspiracy. Being stuck in the past is not gonna do any good. We need to make sure we win back the senate and eventually the House.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections