Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2016, 02:46 PM

16,952 posts, read 16,834,929 times

Advertisements

When you say: "Everything says Clinton was going to win!" ...That is the first problem. Or...Everyone says Trump is going to lose." I ask again, trust not the media or what Hillary says, or the polls say, but instead, get in a voting booth and make your own choices.

Had more people not believed Hillary was going to win, they would not be as "shell-shocked" as they are today. Who promised her the win? NOBODY. Who promised Trump the win? NOBODY. It was not based on polls or favoritism, promises or predictions. It was based on WHO you wanted for your president, on the day you walked inside the voting booth. I knew who I wanted that day (Trump) but I had NO idea so many felt like I did. So, we can safely assume, that not many people felt that way about Hillary and not that many wanted her for president and not that many voted for Hillary.

I guess the saying holds true: "Get out and vote." For those who stayed home, I don't know who you wanted. Maybe you wanted none of the candidates or maybe you thought Hillary was going to win, so why bother voting?

But voting gives us POWER to pick our president. I think we all learned a lesson that day but especially Hillary Clinton..... that believing you are going to win, is not the same as winning.

Old 11-14-2016, 02:48 PM

304 posts, read 161,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
I'm an independent. I supported Hillary because of, well, you know what the other candidate was like. I considered him, the person, unfit for the office of the Presidency.

I hear what you're saying and agree with some of what you say. But the tone is harsh and unwarranted. I don't think they, including me, were arrogant. The data reflected that almost the whole time that she would win. It's unfair to blame supporters for being happy about that, but I doubt the HRC team took it for granted. I hope the polls and other data are reviewed thoroughly to figure out what went so wrong.

I think the protests are a good thing, if they are nonviolent. It records for history an important thing: the election of what is perhaps the most unqualified and unfit person for President, who bragged about molesting women and made fun of a disabled person, and made entire races/ethnicities feel discriminated against because of his rhetoric (not necessarily his positions; it was his tone and rhetoric). It's not that they lost the election; it's the kind of person who was elected.

I think why some others voted for him is what made me want to vote Republican this time around (although I didn't, because of the candidate). It was Obamacare and the male transgender in the women's bathroom thing. They were two bridges too far for me. I have a right to go to the bathroom in privacy, not next to a strange man. It's not just about safety, although that's part of it. It's that I have a right to privacy. Someone else's right was put ahead of mine, even though there was a logical resolution, which transgenders refused (one stand-alone stall that is unisex; or a unisex multi-stall bathroom for all, in addition to the regular male/female). And Obamacare, which I have and get a partial subsidy for, was a nightmare that was hurting the middle class. What's worse, no one seemed to care, and no one seemed to be working on the unfairness. They simply didn't care. When I posted about my problems with Obamacare, not once...not once...did any leftie ever ask about my problems, concede that I may have had those problems, etc. Instead, I was repeatedly accused of lying. Even when all the ins. cos. started withdrawing and the program started imploding. No one cared one bit that I couldn't find a doctor to take my insurance. I didn't matter. All that mattered was that I pay for someone else's insurance, despite that I live a healthy lifestyle and don't file many claims. I was paying for the obese guy eating pizza on the sofa and shooting up insulin.

It's hard to overestimate the effect that Obamacare and the transgender thing had on the middle class, esp. women.
Respectfully I have to disagree with some points.

Hillary did not visit Wisconsin since the primary, Michigan till the last week and only visited Philly and Pittsburgh in PA not the more blue collar sections, hate to admit it and while he might be mostly full of it Trump did give the impression he was listening to the blue collar middle class.

I do agree that if the protest are nonviolent then its ok its been almost a week now, time to move on.

And I do agree about the bathroom thing. There was plenty of room for compromise sadly both sides have a my way or no way mentality but as you said a bridge too far at this moment that got pushed to to point of blowback

Old 11-14-2016, 02:49 PM

2,548 posts, read 3,444,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
I think most of the electorate is given too much credit as far as intelligence and they simply knew Trump from the Celebrity Apprentice and WrestleMania and stuck with the known commodity. Same as with Frosted Flakes vs Cracklin' Oat Bran, no one in their right mind would consciously choose a limp and soggy cereal over the delicious goodness that is otherwise available, it's all where they put stuff on the shelf.
So since no one in their right mind chose Hillary Clinton, she is the limp and soggy cereal? That makes Trump the sturdy, delicious goodness that is Cracklin' Oat Bran.

Great analogy! Sorry, I don't watch television or mainstream news like CNN. Not familiar with Celebrity Apprentice or Wrestle Mania.

Old 11-14-2016, 02:49 PM

8,761 posts, read 11,173,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dole-McCain Republican View Post

*So many people are very unhappy with Obama's dismal record as POTUS. HRC made a gamble to tie herself at the hip with Obama. Obviously, her hope was that her promise to be an Obama third term would galvanize minorities and liberal activists. It did not. Instead, it backfired, and voters who were upset about the Obama presidency made their voices heard.
She was so desperate that during the debates, she mentioned her great work with George Bush!

Old 11-14-2016, 02:58 PM

45,835 posts, read 61,234,967 times
I will absolutely cast a vote for Frosted Flakes.

Another point, and it may have been made: you can only insult people so many times by calling them deplorable, or hicks or whatever before they get mad.

All politics is local, even the Presidency.

Old 11-14-2016, 03:02 PM

30,566 posts, read 23,982,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
I'm an independent. I supported Hillary because of, well, you know what the other candidate was like. I considered him, the person, unfit for the office of the Presidency.

I hear what you're saying and agree with some of what you say. But the tone is harsh and unwarranted. I don't think they, including me, were arrogant...
YOU haven't been arrogant...but others? Well:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
I think most of the electorate is given too much credit as far as intelligence and they simply knew Trump from the Celebrity Apprentice and WrestleMania and stuck with the known commodity. Same as with Frosted Flakes vs Cracklin' Oat Bran, no one in their right mind would consciously choose a limp and soggy cereal over the delicious goodness that is otherwise available, it's all where they put stuff on the shelf.

Old 11-14-2016, 03:04 PM

13,762 posts, read 9,853,754 times
Hillary lost because the constituency to which she could successfully make a visceral appeal, was smaller than the constituency to which Trump successfully made such appeal. I'll leave it to others to debate as to whether this gap in appeal is due to personalities, real or perceived ethical lapses, lack of compelling ideas, or other aspects of character or policy.

What scares me is a pitchfork-style peasant revolt. It's not about race, religion, gender, sexual orientation, etc. It's not about abortion, gay marriage, guns or flag-burning. It's about a government by good champagne and craft-beer, or boxed-wine and Bud Lite. It's about government by elegant sports-coupe, or jacked-up pickup-truck. If it turns out that Trump was a devious charlatan, who played his constituency and who would revert to governing as a conventional Republican, I will rejoice. If he governs as he campaigned, then I foresee strife and problems - whether our position happens to be liberal, or conservative.

Old 11-14-2016, 04:51 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,252,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
YOU haven't been arrogant...but others? Well:
more like cynicism but I'll at least give you credit in recognizing the intent meant
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections