Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2016, 06:57 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,623,015 times

Advertisements

I'm just wondering about something.

Did Hillary Clinton's comment about the "basket of deplorables" really change anyone's mind about who they would support in the election?

I know it was a stupid thing to say, but did anyone here actually make their decision as a result of it? Obviously Trump supporters were galvanized by it, but I'm wondering about people who were undecided before that.

I make no bones about the fact that I preferred her to Trump (although I preferred Bernie to both), but this really isn't a "gotcha" question. I seriously want to know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2016, 06:58 AM

16,786 posts, read 8,272,162 times
About the same effect as Mr. Steal your pension and load you with debt Romney and his 47% statement.

Old 11-15-2016, 07:06 AM

9,613 posts, read 7,010,681 times
No good can come from directing attacks to the voters themselves. For someone agreeing with some of Trump's stances and promises to represent the forgotten, calling them "deplorable" only makes them feel ridiculed as well.

Old 11-15-2016, 07:07 AM

4,861 posts, read 9,351,283 times
Not at all because I knew that that was how Hillary felt about anyone who doesn't see things the way she does well before she said it.

It only served to prove what any thinking person with even the most basic observational skills already knew, which is that Hillary is a self-righteous, elitist snob who masquerades very poorly as someone who cares about the working class.

Old 11-15-2016, 07:07 AM

4,967 posts, read 2,266,613 times
I'd say Clinton's comments toward Trump supports had a negligible affect, but the rust belt states were close, so....

Criticizing Bernie Sander's supports may have more of a negative impact. Add the two groups together and that's a large segment of the electorate.

And while she was name-calling voters that preferred anyone over her, Trump was reaching out to typical Clinton and Sander's supporters.

I think that picture in it's entirety may have swayed independents.

Last edited by Mad_Jasper; 11-15-2016 at 08:15 AM..

Old 11-15-2016, 07:12 AM

3,841 posts, read 1,991,276 times
I was never voting for HRC. That comment only made me more sure of myself. I am not a deplorable. I am not a racist, sexist or bigot. She made a big mistake when she tried to paint half of Trump supporters with a broad brush. She tried to shame people to vote for her because if not they were "deplorable". It failed. It only made his supporters angrier and more motivated to go vote on election day against her.

Old 11-15-2016, 07:13 AM

4,504 posts, read 3,051,684 times
It didn't change my mind. I've hated her for 30 years.

Old 11-15-2016, 07:14 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,623,015 times
I understand the complaints, but what I am still hoping to learn is if anyone here personally changed their vote over it. Personal, "yes, I did,", or "no, I had already chosen" stories, or stories from people who know *for a fact* that it was the deciding factor for someone they actually know. Everything else is interesting, but it's also pretty much just speculation.

Example: Romney's "47%" comment was a huge turn-off for me, but it isn't what made me decide how to vote. I had already decided that.

So I guess what I really want to know is, how much power does a single remark have to change an election. Did "deplorables" really alter the outcome, or would she have lost anyway?

Updated: thanks to those who are replying with personal experience.

Old 11-15-2016, 07:17 AM

4,504 posts, read 3,051,684 times
I honestly believe it was a culmination of things. No one single thing caused her downfall. People simply don't like her. She's not relatable. Seriously...every single thing about her is repulsive.

I hope I never have to look at her or hear her voice again.

Old 11-15-2016, 07:18 AM

15,682 posts, read 10,476,140 times
I've written this before, but Hillary's "deplorables" comment made me go from hold-my-nose Trump voter to Trump advocate. Also, nothing would have prevented me from voting for him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections