Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which Democrat Would have Best Chance at Beating Trump in 2020 for President?
Elizabeth Warren 19 17.12%
Jason Kander 6 5.41%
Tim Kaine 5 4.50%
Tim Ryan 5 4.50%
Keith Ellison 6 5.41%
other (explain) 70 63.06%
Voters: 111. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2017, 10:05 PM

8,886 posts, read 4,596,109 times

Advertisements

Here's a thought - the Dems should run Ivanka. She's much more liberal than her father, her husband is Jewish, and she is totally a woman. And Donald would step aside in her favor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2017, 09:14 AM

9,470 posts, read 9,384,470 times
This thread is simply an excuse for the Republicans to bash the Democratic Party. The Pubs no longer have Hillary to beat up on and are sooooo lonely.

Old 04-11-2017, 10:35 AM

937 posts, read 700,935 times
^^ Now that's a understatement!! ^^

Old 04-11-2017, 02:42 PM

4,081 posts, read 3,611,536 times
Honestly, I think Democrats would be wise to go with someone from middle America. One of the biggest criticisms of the Democratic Party is that they have abandoned middle American in favor of Coastal SJW's. Running a candidate like Kamala Harris, Corey Booker, Andrew Cuomo, etc. may be enough to oust Trump in 2020, but I don't believe it solves the underlying issue.

Old 04-14-2017, 02:44 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,736,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dequindre View Post
Honestly, I think Democrats would be wise to go with someone from middle America. One of the biggest criticisms of the Democratic Party is that they have abandoned middle American in favor of Coastal SJW's. Running a candidate like Kamala Harris, Corey Booker, Andrew Cuomo, etc. may be enough to oust Trump in 2020, but I don't believe it solves the underlying issue.
As a Democrat, I don't want to cater to middle America. The coastal economies are doing so much better than middle America and I have nothing in common with them. IMO let middle America live with Republican policies while the coasts move forward with things like healthcare, college, environmental protections and alternative energy sources on the coasts. Middle America can end Planned Parenthood and live with the resulting unplanned pregnancies, limited availability of birth control, politicians controlled by religion, end minimum wage, reduced availability of health coverage, lack of coverage for pre-existing conditions and prisons for profit. As we move forward, the best result would be increased state independence and the right for states to impose lengthy residency requirements so red staters can't game the system and shop for blue state benefits should they become ill. I don't believe the answer is for Democrats to start catering to middle America.

Old 04-14-2017, 04:30 PM

9,470 posts, read 9,384,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
As a Democrat, I don't want to cater to middle America. The coastal economies are doing so much better than middle America and I have nothing in common with them. IMO let middle America live with Republican policies while the coasts move forward with things like healthcare, college, environmental protections and alternative energy sources on the coasts. Middle America can end Planned Parenthood and live with the resulting unplanned pregnancies, limited availability of birth control, politicians controlled by religion, end minimum wage, reduced availability of health coverage, lack of coverage for pre-existing conditions and prisons for profit. As we move forward, the best result would be increased state independence and the right for states to impose lengthy residency requirements so red staters can't game the system and shop for blue state benefits should they become ill. I don't believe the answer is for Democrats to start catering to middle America.

Excellent points!!!!

Old 04-14-2017, 05:33 PM

106 posts, read 122,688 times
Quote:
This mindset is why our party lost the election, though.

Trump won because he catered to middle America because whether we like it or not, their vote matters just as much as ours. I'm not saying that we should develop a more conservative platform but if we expect to rebound from this embarrassing defeat (yes, it is an embarrassing defeat when you consider we lost in Pennsylvania, Michigan, Wisconsin, and the northern district of Maine), we need to be able to compromise to an extent.

Old 04-14-2017, 05:39 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,736,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by as111 View Post
This mindset is why our party lost the election, though.

Trump won because he catered to middle America because whether we like it or not, their vote matters just as much as ours. I'm not saying that we should develop a more conservative platform but if we expect to rebound from this embarrassing defeat (yes, it is an embarrassing defeat when you consider we lost in Pennsylvania, Michigan, Wisconsin, and the northern district of Maine), we need to be able to compromise to an extent.
IMO I would rather they get exactly what the Republicans give them and I will laugh about it. I have no desire to find commonality with them. This idea that we should "win over" right wingers in middle America? No thank you. I would rather remain in my blue state and ignore them as much as possible.

Old 04-14-2017, 06:12 PM

106 posts, read 122,688 times
Quote:
IMO I would rather they get exactly what the Republicans give them and I will laugh about it. I have no desire to find commonality with them. This idea that we should "win over" right wingers in middle America? No thank you. I would rather remain in my blue state and ignore them as much as possible.
Then Trump will be re-elected.

Old 04-14-2017, 07:24 PM

3,696 posts, read 2,903,980 times
Quote:
As Democrats, we NEED to appeal to middle America.

Not all of middle America is Republican. Democrats live in red states as well.

I spent 20+ years in the party doing voter education, registration, and as a state delegate.

By your logic, then these people should be ignored since they are --goddess forbid---not in the lofty coastal areas.

My job involves a good deal of travel and yes, the coastal areas are doing well but so are quite a few areas in middle America.

I think that it's pretty short-sighted to think that only Democrats in larger cities or coastal areas matter. In fact, it is that kind of thinking that will ensure another GOP victory in 2020.

Middle America is what helped decide this election against our party. The blue states overwhelmingly of course went Democrat but a lot of the purplish states swung red--some of them for the first time in many years.

Even if the people are not Democrats, shouldn't we show them what they could have under the Democrats?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections