Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2016, 08:00 AM

24,089 posts, read 15,200,084 times

Advertisements

My son and I think being POTUS has been on Trump's mind for years. We also think his winning the primary was no fluke, because he has been doing focus groups to find out what words work,etc. He payed the media.

Hillary, deserved or no, has too much baggage to eleven run again.

Like Michael Moore said, it was an opportunity for the country to give DC the finger.

The only thing I cannot figure is if the country was so fed up with Washington politicians, why did almost all incumbents win. Therefore the conclusion is that they were not really fed up. That whole thing was tv media following their own herd BS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2016, 08:12 AM

12,688 posts, read 6,763,223 times
I was a little surprised, yes. I had resigned myself that one of two horrible people were going to win, so I wasn't really upset at all. But all the polls and every other indicator was pointing to a clear victory for Hitlery. The science of predicting these things is usually pretty accurate. This is the biggest surprise win since Harry Truman in 1948. The early prediction systems failed back then and they failed again this year. Those running polls will be in a scramble to figure out why they were so wrong.

Old 11-26-2016, 08:30 AM

10,372 posts, read 10,730,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
I had a strange inclination that Trump would win and was preparing for a win as I watched FOX News on November 8th.

The people on FOX News gave me no confidence that he would win until electoral votes started to pour in on some not-so-expected swing states like North Carolina, Ohio, Wisconsin, then finally Florida. Also, other non-swing states were amazingly close.

FOX News seemed to know what was going on earlier than anyone else because they started to party as the other news media outlets started commencement of their unexpected wrist-slashing parties.
I had Fox News on and this is totally inaccurate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by john3232 View Post
I thought Trump had a good chance to win especially since the Dems weren't expecting a particularly close election. Or to put it another way...the Dems weren't ready cheat by any means necessary.

I believe when it became apparent Trump would win the Dems began to padded their numbers in Cal. to ensure HC would at least win the popular vote.
If it were so easy they would've padded their numbers in Florida, Michigan and Pennsylvania.

Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
I was a little surprised, yes. I had resigned myself that one of two horrible people were going to win, so I wasn't really upset at all. But all the polls and every other indicator was pointing to a clear victory for Hitlery. The science of predicting these things is usually pretty accurate. This is the biggest surprise win since Harry Truman in 1948. The early prediction systems failed back then and they failed again this year. Those running polls will be in a scramble to figure out why they were so wrong.
The polling companies had about 50 years when they could make telephone calls to landline phones to do accurate polling. This no longer applies. Now any type of polling will be suspect.

Old 11-26-2016, 09:58 AM

13,700 posts, read 9,795,841 times
This thread started in the Philosophy Forum, so I'll continue that theme. I aver that our current election aptly justifies Plato's skepticism of democracy. Most sobering is Plato's prediction for the successive stage of government, after democracy runs its course. Let us hope that that fate somehow eludes us in modern America.

Personally I'd steeled myself to a possible Trump victory as soon as Rubio and then Kasich withdrew from the Republican primaries. The saccharine appeal of Trump's populism threatened to overwhelm whatever more refined taste that still lingered in the American palate. While I viewed with dread a Trump victory, the possibility still struck me as being small – but still definitely there. The horrors of election-night were to me not entirely shocking. They confirmed my suppositions, that the complexities of modern life are inapposite with the starry-eyed Enlightenment optimism of America's much-vaunted Founding Fathers. Perhaps the advent of Trump will serve as jarring lesson to what could possibly go wrong, and we'll emerge from this experience sobered and reformed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by A1eutian View Post
The images that will stick with me forever are the Hillary supporters watching the vote count once they realized that Trump was winning. ... There were scenes of vacant eyed or openly weeping Clinton devotees consoling each other. Is it wise to get so attached to a candidate that you are gutted if they lose?
Perhaps this is less about fondness for one's losing candidate, than despair over what will befall the country, with the winning candidate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolac View Post
I am a pretty faithful follower of fivethirtyeight.com, and he had Clinton at about a 70% chance of winning. Just shows the media and the polls were wrong.
30% odds of winning are actually pretty high. If the weather-forecast gives 30% chance of rain, take an umbrella.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmm0484 View Post
The appeal of Trump to working people is aspirational. Even though he is rich, and although he insults some people, he does not generally talk down to anyone, or put on "airs." He is a blue collar person's ideal billionaire. He is not the "same-old, same-old"party line candidate that Hillary represented.
This is an excellent point! Though Trump's fortune is inherited, he didn't inherit the sophistication and drawing-room manners traditionally expected of the wealthy. His wealth is therefore accessible to the Proles, who salivate over using their own awe-shucks plain-spoken verve to achieve similar success… forgetting that Trump's success began with successfully choosing his parents

Old 11-26-2016, 09:58 AM

23,795 posts, read 13,318,761 times
I was surprised, but I will be much more surprised if he is not impeached. He's already set to to violate the Constitution. Don't think anyone will go after him? Think again.

Just because his cult and the power-crazed GOP let him get away with all of his unethical and criminal dealings, does not mean that everyone else will. As soon as there is enough proof, they will go after him. Even that whack job Giuliani is aware of this as an attorney. And won't those pit bulls in Congress look foolish if they let Trump get away with everything they've accused Clinton of.

"...The incoming president, in other words, is actively soliciting business from agents of foreign governments. Many of these agents, in turn, said that they will accept the president-elect’s offer to do business because they want to win favor with the new leader of the United States..."

"...a University of Minnesota law professor who previously served as chief ethics counsel to President George W. Bush, says that Trump’s efforts to do business with these diplomats is at odds with a provision of the Constitution intended to prevent foreign states from effectively buying influence with federal officials..."

https://thinkprogress.org/trump-pois...935#.rj0iq4z59

Old 11-26-2016, 10:04 AM

4,584 posts, read 4,213,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
I was surprised, but I will be much more surprised if he is not impeached. He's already set to to violate the Constitution. Don't think anyone will go after him? Think again.

Just because his cult and the power-crazed GOP let him get away with all of his unethical and criminal dealings, does not mean that everyone else will. As soon as there is enough proof, they will go after him. Even that whack job Giuliani is aware of this as an attorney. And won't those pit bulls in Congress look foolish if they let Trump get away with everything they've accused Clinton of.

"...The incoming president, in other words, is actively soliciting business from agents of foreign governments. Many of these agents, in turn, said that they will accept the president-elect’s offer to do business because they want to win favor with the new leader of the United States..."

"...a University of Minnesota law professor who previously served as chief ethics counsel to President George W. Bush, says that Trump’s efforts to do business with these diplomats is at odds with a provision of the Constitution intended to prevent foreign states from effectively buying influence with federal officials..."

https://thinkprogress.org/trump-pois...935#.rj0iq4z59
I think you need to read up on impeachment and the number of Congressional votes necessary. Don't let that stop your liberal rants though ...

Old 11-26-2016, 10:19 AM

5,108 posts, read 2,329,480 times
I voted for him, and I was very surprised. Back in 2012 I thought that Romney would win Ohio, Michigan, Wisconsin, and maybe even PA. Since that didn't even come close to happening, I didn't think that Trump would take those states either. I guess I should have had faith that those states would go red eventually.

Old 11-26-2016, 10:29 AM

20,160 posts, read 12,819,640 times
I was pleasantly surprised as I was watching the results on Fox News. But in the back of my mind, the Clinton machine was willing to do anything. So who knows.

Old 11-26-2016, 04:54 PM

14,018 posts, read 8,172,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post

If it were so easy they would've padded their numbers in Florida, Michigan and Pennsylvania.
I never said it was easy. My point is the Dems were well aware this election was going to be watched closely but weren't too concerned.

They thought they would win and win big.

On the other hand if the Dems thought the election would be close then they would have cheated. How? By padding the vote count in minority areas.

And I wouldn't be a bit surprised to learn the vote count in Southern Cal. was padded with illegal votes.

Trump was very smart hammering the point about a rigged election. This forced the Dems to be very careful and since they assumed the election was a done deal it wasn't necessary to cheat.

The Cal. numbers were likely been padded once it became apparent Trump would win. Making sure HC won at least the popular vote suddenly came into play.

Old 11-26-2016, 05:15 PM

68,364 posts, read 54,592,516 times
Were you really surprised when Trump won the election?

No, he told us numerous times it was rigged!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections