Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-07-2013, 07:32 AM

14,688 posts, read 26,626,353 times

Advertisements

So, someone else has a disappointing thread so I figured I would be like Tom Cruise and go the other way. What games have you bought or played that were an excellent surprise?

Two come to mind for me:

Ghostbusters - I honestly only bought this because it was super cheap and it has Bill Murray, Harold Ramis, Dan Akroyd and Ernie Hudson voicing the characters. I really expected it to be terrible. Despite being a tad convoluted, the gameplay is actually very good. And the writing was as good as the original movie and better (though that is not hard) than the sequel.

Infamous - Another game I bought solely because it was cheap. I really knew nothing about it and it took me a while to get used to it, but once I did I really liked it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2013, 12:48 PM

112 posts, read 207,642 times
Games don't surprise me much anymore like they did in the old nintendo days. I guess because back then I didn't have any expectations of what a game should be. Plus no internet blogs or word of mouth to go by. I would just have mom buy them based on the cover art and the three screen capture pics on the back. Then I'd just hope for the best. Games that surprised me then were...
Battletoads
Legend of Zelda
Metroid
Snake Rattle and Roll
Ducktales
Games don't surprise me much anymore . I guess I'm just getting to old. Although I did like the Infamous series for PS3. That game caught me off guard.

Old 02-07-2013, 12:54 PM

3,925 posts, read 6,842,298 times
Probably the only game that comes to mind is Harvest Moon. My little cousin would play it a lot and I always viewed it as a little kids game. I was "too old" to be playing such childish games. Then once I picked it up and started I got addicted.

Old 02-07-2013, 01:04 PM

4,970 posts, read 6,271,677 times
Spyro the Dragon on the PS1. I have no idea why but I got totally addicted to that game.
Medievil was another good one on the PS1 that I didn't expect much from but loved.
Red Dead Redemption in a way. I thought I would like it basically being GTA set in the wild west, but I was blown away by how much their was to do, how huge the map was, and how realistic the graphics seemed. Living in the Midwest, I still play that game sometimes just to get my fix for the desert southwest. I always was amazed that I would be entertained just hunting in that game. So that game did surprise me in ways I didn't expect.

Old 02-07-2013, 01:43 PM

5,658 posts, read 6,279,394 times
I have several, but I need to think about it and get back to you.

However, I had to comment on Infamous. I bought the $200 PS3 package that included Uncharted 1 and 2 and Infamous 1 and 2. I started Infamous 2 the other day and I've been very tired ever since. I can hardly put it down. Last night I decided at 9:30 to just play "a few minutes" -- maybe till 10:00 and then I'd go to sleep. That turned into me playing till 1:30am. Incredibly addictive and impressive game.

Old 02-07-2013, 07:44 PM

552 posts, read 721,092 times
Im not a big RPG guy so when my boss gave me his old Fallout 3 last year I was like eh, but it was really good. Also I bought Dark Souls and it turned out to be one of my favorites of all time.

Old 02-08-2013, 02:06 PM

1,969 posts, read 3,598,916 times
I know they aren't exactly under the radar, but I had purchased Uncharted 1 and 2 years after they had been released (close to around with UC3 was about to be released). I knew they got rave reviews, but I didn't expect just how engaging the games would be. Immediately after beating the first game, rather then move onto one of my various backlogged games, I grammed the 2nd one as well, and got the third shortly after release, and I almost never buy new.

Old 02-08-2013, 11:13 PM

5 posts, read 3,553 times
Honestly, it was draw something. When I first heard the game, I thought it was another boring and weak one; played by kids and not that good. But I was wrong. It is not RPG or 3D but I really got hooked which surprise me really. It was fun but I do not know if you also played or you still play it but I do. I wrong wrong when I thought it was a game for kids only - it was a game for all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games