Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2016, 02:20 AM

30,775 posts, read 18,548,795 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgn2013 View Post
Working class white people have this strange obsession with wanting plain-talking people as their leaders. I want my president to be demonstrably more intelligent than I am...or at least sound like it. That shows a rejection of intellect and education as useful traits which is exactly why students from Africa, East Asia and South Asia are kicking our kids' butts at many schools.

This middle America anti-intellectualism crap needs to stop.
I'm neither white or nor working class. But I, too, value plain-talking people. We've seen what slick/smooth talkers often get us: into disastrous situations. For all of the crap people talk about Trump and his blunt way of speech, many do and say the same thing in private, which is what made some of the attacks against Trump turn on deaf ears.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2016, 02:23 AM

30,775 posts, read 18,548,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juneaubound View Post
Had Fox News on in the background all election day, and then watched the results come in all night. I remember listening to the talking heads, and it was very obvious that they believed and fully expected that Clinton was going to take the night. My husband was on the Internet in the home office, and every time a state was called I'd yell the results through the house. When Trump won Florida, NC and Ohio I was surprised but still contained. When they called Wisconsin I yelled through the house, my husband flew into the living room and we actually hugged each other. THAT'S how much the possibility of a Clinton win had been wearing on both of us for a long time. In my mind Wisconsin was the deal breaker. Stayed up watching results come in until after 2am because I wanted a final call before I went to bed.

Did I see Trump winning? Truthfully no. The Clinton machine and dirty politics - I thought the "force was with them". Biased media. Polls that weren't even close (some calling a 98% chance of a win for Clinton). Dirty info coming out of Wikileaks about the DNC and the Clinton campaign. Trump rally numbers. Trump saying stupid sh*t. Clinton coughing and hiding and lying.

Around dinner time on election night I went to Clintons' official FB page and read this: "This team has so much to be proud of. Whatever happens tonight, thank you for everything." Didn't sound like the message of a winner...........

I said it before on here and I'll say it again - Americans put their poker faces on and held their cards close to their chest.

I don't know how Trump will do now that he has won, but I KNEW how Clinton would do if she won, and this is the most unsettled I have ever been re: an election. I am very proud of how this election turned out.
Great analysis! I'm particularly drawn to the bolded part, which was a key consideration for me. I have Republican #NeverTrump friends whose number one issue is abortion and claimed they couldn't vote for Trump because of his past stances on the issue and their fear that he wouldn't actually appoint pro-life justices to the Supreme Court. My thing was, well, at least with Trump (and it looks like he's going to make good on his promises), you have a chance of pro-life justices. With Hillary, you knew you were getting abortion on demand justices to the high court.

Old 11-28-2016, 04:08 AM

7,689 posts, read 4,225,553 times
I was surprised but I was not shocked with his behavior nor shocked that he had national support. I grew up in small town Texas many decades ago and this behavior is not unusual.

Old 11-28-2016, 04:11 AM

7,689 posts, read 4,225,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgn2013 View Post
Working class white people have this strange obsession with wanting plain-talking people as their leaders. I want my president to be demonstrably more intelligent than I am...or at least sound like it. That shows a rejection of intellect and education as useful traits which is exactly why students from Africa, East Asia and South Asia are kicking our kids' butts at many schools.

This middle America anti-intellectualism crap needs to stop.
I am working class and I like both kinds of talk and I prefer that leaders can demonstrate both.

Old 11-28-2016, 04:26 AM

34,290 posts, read 17,382,442 times
I was not that surprised, as months ago, I had posted if he wins, Rust Belt is key. I also saw 4 states HRC had 60% chance in per 538blog, and she needed them all to push past 270. Odds of 4 60% events going ones way are about 1 in 8 (.6 * .6 * .6 * .6). Putrid.

Old 11-28-2016, 05:14 AM

77,770 posts, read 105,273,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anglonorseman View Post
I don't see how, considering how the USA is and how many people think Clinton was full of ****, and how people don't agree with the media moral agenda. Could these opinion polls be manipulated by the liberal media? I'm a pollster, and I have no real bias, i just do things for the truth.
I was totally surprised but of course happy. Of course I was one of those who said, he wasn't a serious candidate, just wanted the spot light: then I said he would never get the nomination: After that I said they would try and find a way to replace him. From there I said he would not win and now I am saying he will likely only serve one term if even that. I wonder if I will get it right one of these days?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections