Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2016, 10:49 AM

28,711 posts, read 18,909,402 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bale002 View Post
If there is a distinction between surprised and unexpected, then for me it was against expectations, but not a surprise.

Not a surprise, because Bill Clinton's wife was probably the worst candidate that the so-called democrats could have fielded. Really? What were they thinking? Astounding!

Against expectations because it seemed the deck was stacked in her favor anyway, and that was what the powers be really wanted.

That's a good way to put it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2016, 11:47 AM

1,156 posts, read 947,433 times
I was surprised. I knew Clinton was a historically unpopular candidate. On the other hand, I thought the Republicans found the one candidate in the country she could beat.

Every losing presidential candidate still alive today is lamenting that he couldn't have run against Clinton or Trump. McCain, Dole, Dukakis, Mondale, Kerry, Romney even Perot or Anderson would have likely won in a landslide.

Old 11-24-2016, 12:59 PM

3,507 posts, read 2,801,571 times
I was some what surprise but did think that there was a possibility of Trump winning. While in most of the weeks Hillary had been quite far ahead there were certain times when Trump was on par with Hillary, and with the reopening of the FBI investigation I felt that this was a blow to Hillary.

As far as the polls, my belief is that a higher percentage of people who said that were voting for Hillary didn't vote as compare to Trump's. While I knew that Trump had a much stronger and supportive base, I felt that demographically, meaning younger people are more likely to be liberal, Hillary would be pushed ahead. I think that the Clinton loving liberals were counting on this and they felt that Hillary would coast through. I also feel that by far the biggest damage was the email scandal. That and the fact that Hillary was not charismatic enough. It really should have been Bernie Sanders up against Trump.

Old 11-24-2016, 02:57 PM

50,454 posts, read 64,308,089 times
I was shocked when Romney lost to Obama the second time. I understood Obama winning the first time, but not the second. After that, I could not make myself feel confident that anyone I voted for would win, so yes I was shocked, but glad, when Trump won.

Now, with a republican mandate, we will hopefully see some kick ass changes.

Old 11-24-2016, 04:11 PM

41,936 posts, read 37,101,999 times
No, the voter suppression tactics of the Republicans had been in full force for years. 300k were suppressed in Wisconsin alone. Trump "won" by 27k there.

And with electronic voting, and Russians having been shown to both hack voting systems, and hack systems to try to influence the election, I thought it would be very very possible.

I didn't think so many people would rally for a sexist pig, a person that mocks disabled people, and such a cruddy speaker... but I'm not surprised so many people are xenophobic. But, enough did, and with the voter suppression, and probably hacking, it happened.

Old 11-24-2016, 06:51 PM

1,110 posts, read 901,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordo View Post
It really should have been Bernie Sanders up against Trump.
What he said....

Old 11-24-2016, 07:17 PM

3,493 posts, read 3,220,757 times
Frankly, I'm surprised it was so close. I don't know three people who voted for Hill and I live in a 40% gay neighborhood.

Old 11-24-2016, 07:23 PM

277 posts, read 329,935 times
I was.

I was also overjoyed he won.

Old 11-25-2016, 03:04 AM

5,984 posts, read 3,475,545 times
No I wasn't surprised in the least bit. Despite the polls I always trust in the stupidity and ignorance of mankind to repeatedly make the wrong decisions. That applies not only to the US election but worldwide, for instance Brexit (among a myriad of other things throughout history). I'm sure many more bad decisions are on the way during the coming decades. Not that I care enough to concern myself with it too much.

Old 11-25-2016, 04:29 AM

240 posts, read 255,205 times
At the same time, I was both surprised, but I also expected it, if that makes any sense. Clinton had been leading in the polls (though I never really trusted them) and I wasn't certain whether people disliked Trump enough to grudgingly vote for the also widely disliked Clinton. Considering her scandals, rumors of bad health, widespread anti-establishment sentiment, and Bernie getting screwed over by the DNC, I couldn't see how she could be elected, but the polls were there, instilling doubt. On election night, I checked Bing's election results every two or three minutes to see who was leading in key states (Bing, btw, gave a 89.7% chance of Hillary being elected) Once it became clear Trump had won Florida and Ohio, I felt much more confident that he would win, though there was still some tension after he failed to carry Virginia and Colorado. I was truly surprised that he won Wisconsin, Michigan, and (especially) Pennsylvania. I don't think many of his supporters expected that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections