Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2016, 06:55 AM

3,091 posts, read 3,979,781 times

Advertisements

I was completely stunned that he won. I am a pretty faithful follower of fivethirtyeight.com, and he had Clinton at about a 70% chance of winning. Just shows the media and the polls were wrong. LOL at the foolish Russian interference propaganda.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2016, 07:07 AM

1,504 posts, read 856,996 times
I was also stunned...and wondered what planet I was on when TRUMP won. Being a Canadian observer...I really did not like Clinton much..and Trump was not much of a second choice.

The fact that a reality TV star is now President of the USA....is bizarre to say the least...but good luck to him regardless...you have to work with what you got.

Old 11-25-2016, 07:35 AM

45,790 posts, read 61,187,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by O.A.Bachlow View Post
I was also stunned...and wondered what planet I was on when TRUMP won. Being a Canadian observer...I really did not like Clinton much..and Trump was not much of a second choice.

The fact that a reality TV star is now President of the USA....is bizarre to say the least...but good luck to him regardless...you have to work with what you got.
People keep saying "reality star" while either not acknowledging, or possibly not knowing, that Trump had been in the public eye for decades prior to that show. In fact he got that gig precisely because he was famous.

Old 11-25-2016, 08:12 AM

16,062 posts, read 26,840,984 times
I was stunned he won. I think many people would not publicly come out and say they were pro-Trump. Many of my friends who are conservative said they wouldn't vote for him. When he won they fessed up that they did. People were worried about being judged for voting for a racist, misogynistic, homophobe and I don't blame them.

Old 11-25-2016, 09:51 AM

2,982 posts, read 4,120,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
I was completely blown away. I just "knew" it would be Clinton, even before Bernie was off the table.

I can't even begin to imagine what happened with the polls; I don't even know how that works.

But after watching Oprah buy Obama his new job 8 years ago I just assumed Clinton was in. Did NOT see this coming.
I am a Canadian with no dog in the fight, but I was not at all surprised with Trump's win. The reasons I figured he had a legitimate shot are as follows:

1. Most Americans vote party not candidate, much like here in Canada. It makes no difference if you put a chimpanzee on the ballot, 46% will vote Republican and 46% will vote Democrat. The remaining 8% decide who wins the election.

2. The American economy is not firing on all cylinders despite what the media and the Hopium Peddler in the Oval Office tells you. There are a great many Americans who are living at the poverty line who bought into Trump's promise of forcing American companies to bring manufacturing jobs back to America.

3. Clinton seemed terrified of Trump, despite the media reporting that she led in the polls throughout most of the election. If she truly had leads as great as the polls said she did, she would have focused on her platform rather than resorting to attack-style campaigning.

4. Despite making numerous statements that would have meant suicide for most candidates, Trump's popularity never seemed to waver. This demonstrated that there are a lot of Americans who are tired of the established politicians in Washington. Trump is the exact opposite of that. He has no political history, is anti-PC and looked like a breath of fresh air to a lot of voters.

There are two links below that go a long way to explain Trumps core support and why he won the election. I suggest giving them a look if this topic interests you.

Trump: Tribune Of Poor White People | The American Conservative

Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
I was stunned he won. I think many people would not publicly come out and say they were pro-Trump. Many of my friends who are conservative said they wouldn't vote for him. When he won they fessed up that they did. People were worried about being judged for voting for a racist, misogynistic, homophobe and I don't blame them.
Hillary didn't help this much when she called half of Trump's supporters "a basket of deplorables".

Old 11-25-2016, 11:01 AM

23,805 posts, read 24,374,922 times
I was shocked.

Old 11-25-2016, 02:15 PM

10,218 posts, read 7,664,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anglonorseman View Post
I don't see how, considering how the USA is and how many people think Clinton was full of ****, and how people don't agree with the media moral agenda. Could these opinion polls be manipulated by the liberal media? I'm a pollster, and I have no real bias, i just do things for the truth.
I actually think it's possible he didn't win. It's almost impossible for all those polls to have been that wrong for that long, IMO. I think it's likely that there were a couple of real surprises, but that several states using electronic machines were hacked...esp a state without a paper trail. And maybe only a couple of counties in each of those states.

Russia had been hacking extensively to interfere with the election, so it's logical it would have continued doing so. Also, on the day of the election, the largest Democratic forum on the network was crashed by a hacker. The message I read on the site said the hacking had been done by a real pro...it was going to take them days to get it back up and running. So the evidence is there to indicate that there was a concerted effort to ensure that Trump won, hitting on several fronts.

Last edited by bpollen; 11-25-2016 at 02:48 PM..

Old 11-25-2016, 03:57 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,558,170 times
Happily surprised.

Old 11-25-2016, 04:39 PM

10,372 posts, read 10,766,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annuvin View Post
I am a Canadian with no dog in the fight, but I was not at all surprised with Trump's win. The reasons I figured he had a legitimate shot are as follows:

1. Most Americans vote party not candidate, much like here in Canada. It makes no difference if you put a chimpanzee on the ballot, 46% will vote Republican and 46% will vote Democrat. The remaining 8% decide who wins the election.

2. The American economy is not firing on all cylinders despite what the media and the Hopium Peddler in the Oval Office tells you. There are a great many Americans who are living at the poverty line who bought into Trump's promise of forcing American companies to bring manufacturing jobs back to America.

3. Clinton seemed terrified of Trump, despite the media reporting that she led in the polls throughout most of the election. If she truly had leads as great as the polls said she did, she would have focused on her platform rather than resorting to attack-style campaigning.

4. Despite making numerous statements that would have meant suicide for most candidates, Trump's popularity never seemed to waver. This demonstrated that there are a lot of Americans who are tired of the established politicians in Washington. Trump is the exact opposite of that. He has no political history, is anti-PC and looked like a breath of fresh air to a lot of voters.

Hillary didn't help this much when she called half of Trump's supporters "a basket of deplorables".
My thoughts to your points:

1. According to Pew Research in 2016, 48% of American registered voters identify as Democrats or say they lean toward the Democratic Party, compared with 44% who identify as Republican or lean toward the Republican Party. Not quite as you describe. The Republican candidate has a disadvantage to overcome but the electoral college really distorts the overall registration numbers.

2. All presidents have tended to make the economy appear better that it is once they get in office. This isn't a Republican vs. Democrat issue. The fact is we have many more unemployed and underemployed that the statistics indicate.

3. It appeared to me that Clinton was delighted to have Trump as her opponent. I agree that she should have focused on her platform rather than resorting to attack-style campaigning.

4. I did think that Trump's statements and behavior were political suicide. I understood that a certain segment hated HRC and would resort to voting for anyone except her. The remaining Trump supporters are people who view Trump as Santa Claus or the fairy godmother.

A Clinton victory would've accomplished nothing on domestic issues since the Republicans control House and Senate. The ball is completely in the Republicans' court and it will be up to them to see if they can govern with Republican control.

BTW, I am a registered Republican who does not believe in voting straight party ticket. I have voted Republican over 50% of the time since 1976.

Old 11-25-2016, 05:44 PM

4,504 posts, read 3,054,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A1eutian View Post
The images that will stick with me forever are the Hillary supporters watching the vote count once they realized that Trump was winning. It was like they were watching a disaster unfold in slow motion.

The TV networks were just zooming in on their faces. There were scenes of vacant eyed or openly weeping Clinton devotees consoling each other. Is it wise to get so attached to a candidate that you are gutted if they lose?
I enjoyed the heck out of that. When Podesta lied about still counting the votes and told everybody to go home, I finally felt it was safe to go to bed, secure in the knowledge Trump was to be our next President.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections