Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2008, 07:11 AM

2,579 posts, read 2,452,454 times

Advertisements

I am following with interest the primaries in the US and the political campaign here in Spain where I am living. Last Monday there was a face to face debate between the leaders of the two major parties here in Spain and last night in the States there was another televised debate between Obama and Clinton.
In both case most of the time was spent trying to belittle, accuse and denigrate the opponent. Where are the ideas, the visions, the programmes?

The political campaigns seem to follow these same lines and I am asking myself if this type of accusations, gossip and lack of respect for the opponents is all politicians have to offer nowadays.
In my opinion to be the leader of a Country should be treated as any other job. When we apply for a job we offer our CV with what we have accomplished so far and we describe our visions for the future job and what we can contribute to that job. We don't go about critizing the other fellow candidates. It would not be serious, honorable or correct. So why do we accept this from our politicians?

Call me old fashion or unrealistic but I cannot feel any respect for those candidates who dedicate more time being negative about their opponents than positive about their contribution to the well being of a nation.

Last edited by hutch5; 02-27-2008 at 08:08 AM.. Reason: Grammar Mistake
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2008, 07:31 AM

14,044 posts, read 27,227,257 times
I don't think this is a recent development. I know that for the 40 plus years I have been following politics that attacking and "redefining" your opponent has been a prominent aspect of running for a major office. Honestly, I don't know that it any worse today, we just have more avenues to rapidly publicize it.

Old 02-27-2008, 08:04 AM

2,579 posts, read 2,452,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
I don't think this is a recent development. I know that for the 40 plus years I have been following politics that attacking and "redefining" your opponent has been a prominent aspect of running for a major office. Honestly, I don't know that it any worse today, we just have more avenues to rapidly publicize it.
You are right about it. I suppose it was not such a prominent feature in the political campaigns here in Europe but the trend is changins fast sadly.

I still think that it is wrong and that we, the citizens, should demand more from the people we entrust the future of the Country to.

Old 02-27-2008, 08:27 AM

2,290 posts, read 5,546,723 times
Hutch5~

You're quite right in your observation of the decline of politics here and abroad. If one had to offer an honest assessment, one would be hard pressed not to fault the majority of voters for accepting this rather juvenile form of politics as the going standard.

We the voters don't demand more because our politicians are convinced that we don't want to know more. Too many of us are so content with singular, self-interested issues that we have no clue about what's best for an entire country (or continent for that matter).

When we the voters can find the courage and maturity to demand sound policy, brilliant vision and moral grounding of our politicians, we'll get it.

But for now, that doesn't appear to be what we want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections