Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2016, 10:50 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,565,921 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMS02760 View Post
Where is the outrage about the sore losers in NC? The Republican Governor there was slow to concede the election and now he and his party have brazenly taken away much of the governor's power just in time for the incoming Democrat Governor. The GOP dominated legislature ostensibly held a "special unplanned" session this past week to approve disaster relief for Hurricane Matthew victims. After quickly taking care of that, they got down to the real intent of the session - limiting the power of the incoming opposition party governor. Outgoing Republican Gov. Pat McCrory has begun to quickly sign the bills into law.
Very sore losers.

What goes around, comes around.

Old 12-18-2016, 11:02 AM

52,430 posts, read 26,664,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post

I'm sure there are a lot of very sore losers at MSNBC. I would think you would know better than to listen to them by now.

Old 12-18-2016, 11:04 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,565,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
I'm sure there are a lot of very sore losers at MSNBC. I would think you would know better than to listen to them by now.

Tell us all about MSNBC passing last minute sore loser legislation to hamstring the incoming governor from the opposing party.

Please.

Old 12-18-2016, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Tell us all about MSNBC passing last minute sore loser legislation to hamstring the incoming governor from the opposing party.

Please.

Oh that isn't being Sore Losers. That's just domestic NC politics. Democrats are just upset they didn't think of it first.

Old 12-18-2016, 01:50 PM

9,617 posts, read 6,070,744 times
All that is missing in the whiney Dims cry is, Buh, buh, but (fill in your favorite hefty excuse.

Old 12-18-2016, 02:09 PM

Pot meet kettle. Are you stupid, or just think people don't pay attention?

Indeed, like Crazy Harry opening the door wide for the Republican Senate...

Old Harry "changed" the rules once. Actually this was his second time. The first was the "budget reconciliation maneuver" to pass the short-lived PPACA, aka Obamacare.
Quote:
In 2013 Senate Democrats changed the filibuster rules on most of Obama's nominees, allowing them to get approved by a simple majority, but left the 60-vote hurdle intact for Supreme Court nominations.

However, the 2013 shift — the most significant change to Senate floor procedure in decades — has sparked years of backlash from Republicans, who warned that it undercuts a minority party's ability to block a president's nomination.
This fall, stupidly thinking the Dims would retake the Senate majority, Crazy Harry threatened a major rule change, again.
Quote:
Senate Minority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.) is predicting a Democratic-majority Senate next year could break out the "nuclear option" to change the rules on Supreme Court nominations.

The outgoing Democratic leader told Talking Points Memo that he's paved the way for what would be a historic change of the Senate's rules, allowing Supreme Court nominees to bypass a 60-vote procedural requirement and be approved by a simple majority.

"I really do believe that I have set the Senate so when I leave, we’re going to be able to get judges done with a majority," he said. "It’s clear to me that if the Republicans try to filibuster another circuit court judge, but especially a Supreme Court justice, I’ve told 'em how and I’ve done it, not just talking about it. I did it in changing the rules of the Senate. It’ll have to be done again."
Reid: 'I have set the Senate' for nuclear option | TheHill

Indeed, what goes around, comes around.
Quote:
Very sore losers.

Old 12-18-2016, 02:46 PM

12,687 posts, read 6,743,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
Fair enough question, though at least McCrory has conceded at this point. It took him a month, but he did it. It's not quite on the same level. No Republicans in the streets blocking traffic, rioting, breaking stuff, screaming "Not my governor!!" or dragging people from their cars and beating them up for voting Cooper. No angry tear-stained rants on youtube about McCrory's loss. There haven't been calls to assassinate Roy Cooper (the winner in that race) or to rape his wife Kristin Cooper. Nobody that I know of has threatened to leave NC because Cooper won -- and that's just threatening to leave a state, not the entire country. There haven't been accusations of hackers stealing the election from McCrory. McCrory has taken no other steps to try and steal the election. The margin was about 10,000 so it is a fair question why a recount was called for. It's too big a margin for a recount to have much chance at changing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
You are making a very apples to oranges comparison here....

One case is a tiny fraction of those who are not happy about the presidential election results acting out in stupid and destructive ways.

One case is the ENTIRETY of NCGOP legislature passing sweeping back-door, long-term legislation that is a complete affront to the democratic process in this state.

Which do you think has more serious consequences that will affect the lives of more people?
That's a very good question to be honest. The backdoor GOP sabotage of the governor's office is going to bite the GOP in the butt sooner or later -- but it's certainly no rare thing. If Obama happened to have a solid blue Congress, then he could and probably would do a lot of things to sabotage Trump. The difference is, the Democrats don't have that option because the GOP controls both houses. It'll be interesting to see if Obama throws in a little FU present on his way out. If the Russian hacking thing is a false flag op, then he already is. If it's not, then I fully expect that he'll come up with something special. Doing this sort of thing is as American as apple pie and as childish as two toddlers fighting over a toy. So the North Carolina GOP did it? It's an a-hole move on their part, but it's certainly nothing new. I still recall George Bush Sr invading Somalia the day before Clinton took office. Yeah, it's a lot like that.

Having riots in the streets protesting a new president? That's new, at least in my lifetime. People being physically assaulted and robbed because of who they voted for or supported? That's new to me. Countless people making up fake stories about being assaulted or raped or robbed or otherwise mistreated by supporters of a specific presidential candidate? That's new to me, especially the frequency of it. People at all levels -- some of them public figures -- and in great numbers calling for the assassination of the president elect? We've seen cries for assassination like that before, but never anything so widespread and brazen as this. The call to rape the future president's wife? That's certainly new. Spamming electors with death threats if they vote for the guy they promised to vote for, that on top of begging and pleading for them to not do it? That's new. This will almost certainly be the most tampered with and harassed Electoral College in history. Showing up at your oppositions events and attmepting to shut them down completely? That new. We've seen people upset at losing a presidential election, but never anything like this year. Protests against a legit victory involving shutting down traffic repeatedly? That one is new to me. Most of the rest like states threatening to secede and stuff is commonplace and never amounts to much.

North Carolina isn't starting any new trend here. Childish though it might be, they're not even doing anything illegal. The liberal temper tantrums are new and in many cases illegal. If it is seen as okay for liberals to behave like this in the future then it will only grow in scale and severity. The total lack of consequence will only embolden folks in the future. If it's okay for the liberals then it becomes okay for the GOP and this thing will just get bigger and messier as time goes on. We need to nip this in the bud now. There's a whole lot of crap going on this year that directly threatens our electoral process and our stability as a nation.

Old 12-19-2016, 01:50 PM

39,876 posts, read 26,541,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
The Republican Party used to stand for integrity and law and order. No more. For them it is win at all costs even if it means lying, disrespecting democratic traditions and using strong-arm tactics. They have become a Thug Party.
You mean, things like getting debate questions from the moderator ahead of time?
Implementing the Nuclear Option for approving judges?
Lying about "groping"?
Labeling your opposition racist, misogynistic and deplorable when you can't debate substance?
Blaming the slaughter of an ambassador on a youtube video?
Getting rich off of "pay-to-play"?

Old 12-21-2016, 07:09 AM

Indeed, karma is a *****. Who are the biggest sore losers? Someone with an iota of fairness would believe that the serial trampling of the election process justify the means. You do. I do not. "Me thinks thous doth protest, too much.

The Dems were wrong to do this, three times, the Reps wrong this time.

Quote:
Precisely four times in modern North Carolina history, voters have elected a new governor or lieutenant governor of one party and legislative majorities of the other party. In all four instances, the legislature stripped the newly elected executives of some power.

In the first three instances — Republican Gov. Jim Holshouser’s election in 1972, Republican Gov. Jim Martin’s election in 1984, and Republican Lt. Gov. Jim Gardner’s election in 1988 — a Democratic legislature did the stripping.
https://www.carolinajournal.com/opin...-both-parties/

Quote:
Very sore losers.

Old 12-21-2016, 07:10 AM

Ahh.

So what happened in NC now was actually begun by the Democrats.

Haha.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections