Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2008, 03:53 PM

3,255 posts, read 5,082,611 times

Advertisements

Lilleta
How can you live with your brother and not teach him these vital facts of life? My sons always went voting with me, participated in mock elections at school, knew what CSPAN was and were taken as young teens to Boston, Philadelphia and Washington DC to learn about there country's history. At 13 my youngest was not allowed to answer questions in history class, because he knew all the answers. At 18 he was a state delegate to the Democratic convention. I think you talk of some youth, but kids who are willing to register to vote and go and actually vote are working it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2008, 03:58 PM

12,642 posts, read 15,607,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
I think that people 21 and under are the smartest generation yet. To put them down as being 'dumb' is a big mistake. I'll take a young, hopeful idealist over a jaded, negative 'elder' anyday.

Francois de La Rochefoucauld (http://www.wisdomquotes.com/003207.html - broken link): The old begin to complain of the conduct of the young when they themselves are no longer able to set a bad example.

Heh...

Old 03-11-2008, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
As long as there isn't a draft, young-uns will continue to sport their pollyanna hope and change rose colored glasses. I remember when I was in grad school, Jerry Brown came to campus and I was transformed ... oh, so wonderful, non-establishment ... wine and roses. Then reality set in when I couldn't find a job in the first Bush's recession economy and Jerry Brown was just a kook. A candidate for hope and change doens't put food on my table and keep my kids safe. John McCain wants to stay in a war for the next 100 years. Is Hillary the ideal candiate, heck no, but at least she's not a sunshine blower like Obama ... I'm not surprised that the youth vote is for Obama, I've been there and I also remember back then that I didn't think the party was ever going to end. They'll learn the hard way, just like we all did.
Sounds like you've receded into the bitter years of life that one can only make for themselves.

Henry David Thoreau (http://www.wisdomquotes.com/002917.html - broken link): None are so old as those who have outlived enthusiasm.

Old 03-11-2008, 04:04 PM

3,255 posts, read 5,082,611 times
Welll quoted Walidm. I think I shall go to the woods.

Old 03-11-2008, 04:09 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,156,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brattpowered View Post
I think the "smart vote" is to make your own decision.
Actually the smart vote, is if you vote for your childrens future.. Not your own.

Old 03-11-2008, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Actually the smart vote, is if you vote for your childrens future.. Not your own.
Wouldn't it be smart to just vote for the way you feel today?

Losers live in the past. Winners learn from the past and enjoy working in the present toward the future. Denis Waitley quotes

Old 03-11-2008, 06:11 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,327,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walidm View Post
Francois de La Rochefoucauld (http://www.wisdomquotes.com/003207.html - broken link): The old begin to complain of the conduct of the young when they themselves are no longer able to set a bad example.

Heh...
Ha! Still setting a bad example, I guess.....

Old 03-11-2008, 06:16 PM

17,764 posts, read 39,750,808 times
Not bitter at all actually. I made a great living during the Clinton years and am enjoying motherhood in my 40's. I'm just a bit wiser than to support Mr. PollyObama.

Old 03-11-2008, 06:22 PM

1,425 posts, read 3,317,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
How sad...my 13 year old is very informed and was even a volunteer for a candidate. I disagree with you that your brother is the norm, most of the teenagers I know are very informed and aware of what's going on around them.

Which generation is it that you say put off immediate pleasure? Surely you don't mean the one that has saddled this country with a debt of $9,000,000,000,000? Or a deficit of almost $800 billion? The generation that has called the US Constitution a 'quaint document' (Alberto Gonzalez, Bush Attorney General)? Most of the innovation is coming from that generation you call stupid...the YouTube founders are worth billions, in case you didn't know, and they're in their late 20s.

You should be worried about our future, both tax and spend liberals and borrow and spend conservatives. At least with liberals, some of the 'little people' get the spoils...with conservatives, the spoils go to the Halliburtons of the world.
An informed and aware teenager? I am sure there are a few but I wouldn't want them running to the polls to vote quite yet!

Old 03-11-2008, 06:32 PM

1,544 posts, read 2,271,070 times
Does anyone know the expression "too smart by half"??

kids should vote coz there are too many idiots running the country
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections