Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What's the bigger advantage for someone who hopes to be president: Being a black man or the wife of
Being a black man is obviously more advantageous 16 38.10%
Being the wife of a former U.S. president provides more advantages 17 40.48%
Both have it great in this country 9 21.43%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2008, 09:34 AM

5,160 posts, read 9,179,926 times

Advertisements

I would just like to point out that women are not minorities. They are the majority. Just correcting someone in who said that in one of the posts above. They are only considered minorities because there are not many of them that own businesses or are not very big in fields that men are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2008, 09:35 AM

10,130 posts, read 19,899,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by politically_correct View Post
EXACTLY RIGHT! People are voting for Obama because he makes them feel right. He is a black man who is not scary like Jessie Jackson who would seem white to a blind man. He is the perfect feel good trail blazer for an America who feels we need to prop up the minorities.
That's it, we vote for him out of a sense of guilt. Nothing to do with being a great orator, effective candidate, or brilliant man. Keep trying.

Old 03-12-2008, 10:31 AM

8,058 posts, read 10,658,133 times
I would NEVER vote for someone I didn't want for President just because it made me feel "not racist"! That's absurd and an insult to people's intelligence. We have far too grave and serious issues facing our country today to vote based on something so shallow, I don't think most Obama supporters even see his color, I know I don't, and neither do I care.

Old 03-12-2008, 12:16 PM

1,818 posts, read 3,096,073 times
President Bush's term in office for the last 8 years and the damages done during his term have made a lot of us stop and think, many have turned Independent that were once Republicans including myself. I would never vote Obama for president because it would make me feel not racist. I chose Obama because I hope he can undo some of the damages done, hopefully he will make us proud of this country again, and maybe being a great orator is probably not the deciding factor, he sure will be nice to have one again, where you don't know what is going to come out of this Presidents mouth even when his speeches are written for him and he has a telepromter.

Old 03-12-2008, 04:35 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,582,785 times
The advantage is....being Obama.

Old 03-12-2008, 04:47 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,899,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
The advantage is....being Obama.
Having a name that rhymes with Osama is an advantage? Or having Hussein as your middle name? Or having your initials be B.O.?

Yes, having a name which contains a hated dictator, and one that rhymes with America's most hated terrorist, plus being black -- big advantage.

Perhaps instead of dropping the Rodham, Hillary should have changed it to Hillary Adolf Mohammed Clinton, to gain the advantage.

Old 03-12-2008, 05:32 PM

1,229 posts, read 3,248,142 times
This is a no-brainer - all things being equal, at the beginning of the campaign it is a huge advantage being the former First Lady. The name recognition is worth million$ in advertising. Once the campaign is underway, on the other hand, things have a way of taking care of themselves . . .

Old 03-12-2008, 05:46 PM

4,921 posts, read 7,700,297 times
Obama is carrying 80-90% of the black vote. If that percentage was based on qualification instead of race then Clinton would clearly be in the lead. The other thing that seems to go unmentioned is gender prejudice. Obama is getting much of the male vote regardless of race. This overwhelming black support of Obama is reminiscent of the OJ Simpson trial.
Don

Old 03-12-2008, 07:10 PM

Location: Los Angeles, which as I understand was once upon a time ago part of the United States of America
849 posts, read 1,048,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paige65 View Post
What has shifted so much that white americans are compelled to vote for a black man in order to "prove to themselves they aren't racist?" Why didn't these white people vote in large numbers for the other black candidates that have run in the past? Did they not feel compelled to prove they weren't racist then, but now they do? Or perhaps, these white people actually like the candidate choice they have now, and they didn't like the black choices they had previously? No, that couldn't be it.
The pressure is gradually increasing, year by year, for Americans to prove that they are not "racist". This country, like all countries, changes constantly. As the media continues to browbeat Whites, television show after television show, movie after movie, the anti-racist paranoia in this country continues to grow. For example, just fifteen years ago "hate crime" laws barely existed if at all, whilst today if a White person so much as looks cross-eyed at a non-White, it's almost an arrestable offense. For further example, I remember Howard Stern's show in the early 90's -- I remember regular jokes about various ethnicities of people, most of it far, far worse than what Don Imus said recently. I remember Stern's various skits about the L.A. riots, Marge Schott, and others -- things you would never hear on today's radio. We live in a society that is constantly changing, as all societies do. So indeed, social pressue is a large factor in Obama's support across racial lines.

Old 03-12-2008, 07:43 PM

403 posts, read 749,615 times
Obama wins supermajority white states(wyoming, North dakota, Minn, Utah, Missouri, maine)--------It has to be that white guilt.

Obama win white male vote in most of the states(obama won white men vote in states he lost====california by 20 points, Mass by 1 point, new mexico by 21 points). Obama lost white men mostly in the southern states. However, in the states he has won until now, he has lost the white men in only missouri and SC(by one point)
So, white men voting for obama---------It has to be that anti-women vote. Obama

Obama wins states with blacks making up half of the voting population----------It has to be because of black racism aganist whites. Darn, we white people need to band together, other wise we will never get our 'first' white president. I think forty-three black male presidents are enough!

Obama wins youth vote----------Well, we have to ignore us stupid young voters.

Obama win young white women vote-----------because we are stupid and anti-feminist. Dah!

Obama win states--------------well, many of them are cacucus and her majesty(hillary clinton) doesn't want them to be counted because she hates to campagin in those contest. Why can't obama play by hillary rules?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections