Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is it racist to vote for a candidate because he/she is Black?
No! Because Blacks have historically been discriminated against 16 20.78%
YES! Because it is like a bad version of affirmative action 41 53.25%
Maybe 20 25.97%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2008, 02:35 PM

3,695 posts, read 11,376,879 times

Advertisements

Considering what white Mississipians did to blacks that wanted to vote fifty years ago, I don't blame them for supporting Obama so heavily.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2008, 03:03 PM

1,881 posts, read 2,686,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean98125 View Post
Considering what white Mississipians did to blacks that wanted to vote fifty years ago, I don't blame them for supporting Obama so heavily.
Fifty years ago?

Get in the times.

So these voters are voting on something that happened 50 years ago.

Get a real life and look forward, not backwards.

No one alive did anything to any black that I know of, ever.

If anything people like me have been screwed over because of that something you talk about 50 years ago. Not any more.

Old 09-19-2008, 03:10 PM

487 posts, read 1,817,087 times
Here is something I found on another website-

An older white man asked his older black friend, “Are you voting for Barack Obama just because he’s black”? So the older black man fires back and said:
“Why can’t I vote for him just because he’s black? Hell! - in this country men are pulled over everyday just because they are black, passed over for promotions just because they are black, considered to be criminals just because they are black, but you don’t seem to have a problem with that ….
“This country was built with the sweat and whip off the slaves back, and now a descendant of those same slaves has a chance to lead the same country where we w
eren’t even considered to be people,
“Where we weren’t allowed to be educated, drink from the same water fountains, eat in the same restaurants, or even vote, so you are damn right … I’m going to vote for him! Not just because he’s black … But because he is hope, he is change, and he now allows me to understand when my grandson says he wants to be President when he grows up, it is not a fairy tale but a short term goal,
“Because he sees, understand, and knows, he can achieve, withstand, and do anything just because he’s black!

Old 09-19-2008, 03:19 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,719,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smd1998 View Post
I have two words for you: Jasper, TX.

Old 09-19-2008, 04:01 PM

210 posts, read 671,785 times
It is an invalid survey... you have no choice of NO

Old 09-19-2008, 04:02 PM

564 posts, read 815,739 times
Yes it is.. great survey.

Old 09-19-2008, 04:06 PM

3,695 posts, read 11,376,879 times
Quote:
Fifty years ago?

Get in the times.

So these voters are voting on something that happened 50 years ago.

Get a real life and look forward, not backwards.

If anything people like me have been screwed over because of that something you talk about 50 years ago. Not any more.
Edgar Killen is still alive.

He was one of the guys who killed three civil rights workers in Mississippi in 1964. My bad - it was only 44 years ago.

There are a whole lot of people who were alive in 1964 who are still alive today.

Old 09-19-2008, 04:49 PM

1,535 posts, read 2,063,582 times
This bares being repeated.

“Why can’t I vote for him just because he’s black? Hell! - in this country men are pulled over everyday just because they are black, passed over for promotions just because they are black, considered to be criminals just because they are black, but you don’t seem to have a problem with that ….

“This country was built with the sweat and whip off the slaves back, and now a descendant of those same slaves has a chance to lead the same country where we weren't even considered to be people,

“Where we weren’t allowed to be educated, drink from the same water fountains, eat in the same restaurants, or even vote, so you are damn right … I’m going to vote for him! Not just because he’s black … But because he is hope, he is change, and he now allows me to understand when my grandson says he wants to be President when he grows up, it is not a fairy tale but a short term goal,

“Because he sees, understand, and knows, he can achieve, withstand, and do anything just because he’s black!

Old 09-19-2008, 04:58 PM

10,655 posts, read 18,671,574 times
They voted for Kerry, 88% and he was a white dude.
They voted for Clinton, 84%... and he was white too

Old 09-19-2008, 05:20 PM

5,041 posts, read 6,220,082 times
Quote:
I wonder if there's anyone on this board with less intelligence.

No one alive did anything to any black that you know of? Really? I hope your blinders are comfortable, because you must be wearing them 24/7.

Ignoring that idiotic statement.

Quote:
Have you ever heard of "white privilege?"

If you are white, you have benefited from that fact every day of your life, in many large and small ways. You won't see it happening, but it's an advantage that you have over blacks.

If you are black or another minority, then you are just blind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections