Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is it racist to vote for a candidate because he/she is Black?
No! Because Blacks have historically been discriminated against 16 20.78%
YES! Because it is like a bad version of affirmative action 41 53.25%
Maybe 20 25.97%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2008, 05:28 PM

5,041 posts, read 6,220,495 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinterinAmerica View Post
This bares being repeated.
That's a great quote.

Conservatives seem to think that any consideration of race is racism. They fail to realize that the essence of racism is whether an action supports the race that is in power, and has been in power for 300 years, and has used that power to keep other races out of power (political, economic, social, etc.)

Examples:

A black man in Mississippi voting for Obama just because he is black - NOT RACISM.

A white man in Mississippi voting for McCain just because he is white - RACISM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2008, 05:29 PM

18,039 posts, read 27,488,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by politically_correct View Post
90% of the Blacks in the MS primaries who voted for a Democratic candidate voted for Obama. Many in media stories told the reporter that they voted for Obama because he is Black. In my opinion that is a form of racism. It is like a a bad example of affirmative action. People should vote for the most qualified candidate or the one who agrees with their stand on the issue, not due to race, sex or age.If someone said I am voting for John McCain because he is white, everyone would call the person a racist. But it seems OK to vote for someone because they are Black. Why?
I decided to quote the OP here and read through all of the OPs posts in this thread and I only see the one.

It seems that they are wondering why it's ok to vote for someone because they're black. And Why?

Well, I'm what you'd call white. And I see that some huge number of whitle people in West Virginia are voting against Obama because he's black. In fact, they say that they normally vote Democrat, but they'd rather vote republican now. Source: unfortunately, youtube. I can't confirm the truth in the whole thing, but it was brought to my attention in here. But I googled "Obama", "West Virginia", and "Youtube" and
this came up.

Now for me, if that's the case, that right there is racist.

I'm not gonna go and step in the shoes of those folks in MS. I'm not anywhere near in the minority like they are. Being that I AM in the majority, I'm not gonna judge them folks on how they vote. That's just not even fathomable for me.

Old 09-19-2008, 07:55 PM

355 posts, read 990,958 times
I totally understand why a black person would vote for Obama. No I don't think it is racist. I think they are very proud of their heritage....as they should be. And this is the first time they have the opportunity to vote for a black president as the Democratic nominee.

But please don't call me a racist because I'm white and voting for McCain. Obama's skin color has no relevance to me as far as his ability to be president.....and yes I really mean that....contrary to popular belief.

I just agree with McCain on more issues than I do with Obama. It's as simple as that.

Old 09-19-2008, 08:03 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,656,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by idahogie View Post
That's a great quote.

Conservatives seem to think that any consideration of race is racism. They fail to realize that the essence of racism is whether an action supports the race that is in power, and has been in power for 300 years, and has used that power to keep other races out of power (political, economic, social, etc.)

Examples:

A black man in Mississippi voting for Obama just because he is black - NOT RACISM.

A white man in Mississippi voting for McCain just because he is white - RACISM.
Have you ever been to Mississippi? Many of the counties there are majority black and they do hold the power there. Just like in Noxubee County were blacks were trying to keep whites out of the polling places. I don't think someone in a lilly white place like Idaho should lecture about racial issues (no offense to Idhoans). Stick to things you actually know about.

Old 09-19-2008, 08:11 PM

754 posts, read 1,740,172 times
Was it racist of white people to vote for every president that we had in history?

Old 09-19-2008, 08:24 PM

5,041 posts, read 6,220,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
Have you ever been to Mississippi? Many of the counties there are majority black and they do hold the power there. Just like in Noxubee County were blacks were trying to keep whites out of the polling places. I don't think someone in a lilly white place like Idaho should lecture about racial issues (no offense to Idhoans). Stick to things you actually know about.
You don't know anything about me. Don't assume. Half my household is black. Further, I grew up in the Army, stationed in Alabama (twice), Georgia, and North Carolina.

If blacks are keeping power through illegal means, that would be racist. Blacks voting for a black candidate for President doesn't fall within that realm.

My point stands. Blacks voting for Obama just because he's black is NOT RACISM.

Old 09-19-2008, 08:41 PM

1,617 posts, read 2,639,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samsmom View Post
I totally understand why a black person would vote for Obama. No I don't think it is racist. I think they are very proud of their heritage....as they should be. And this is the first time they have the opportunity to vote for a black president as the Democratic nominee.

But please don't call me a racist because I'm white and voting for McCain. Obama's skin color has no relevance to me as far as his ability to be president.....and yes I really mean that....contrary to popular belief.

I just agree with McCain on more issues than I do with Obama. It's as simple as that
I don't think anyone would argue with that. That is how it should be, McCain's aligns more with your views, end of arguement. As a matter of fact, I think this is the first time on CD i've heard someone state it so simply and correctly.

I think it gets suspect when people start spouting off BS reasons, such as he's a Muslim, he's friends with Ludacris, etc that gets the racism questions going.

Old 09-20-2008, 10:32 AM

1,605 posts, read 3,919,582 times
In a state with a past like Mississippi and in a state where even today, 90% of whites in that state could end up voting against Obama (even if it isn't for McCain), I really don't the blacks in MS and other deep "Old South" states for voting for Obama in droves. I'm just surprised at why it isn't 99% of backs in a place like MS voting for Obama.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections