Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Obama Black enough
Obama seems like a typical African American 5 33.33%
Obama is to white for the African Americans 3 20.00%
Being multi racial he can not relate to either group 7 46.67%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2008, 09:13 PM

184 posts, read 1,545,238 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Rankin View Post
As a white American, I think he speaks to all Americans.

What a crappy poll. You should have just called the thread "I dislike Obama and I'm a closet racist."
Actually what I think, after scanning back over the last half dozen or so pages of this particular forum, is that the OP "politically_correct" bears a striking resemblance to "Dingler" who has started more than a few of this kind of threads in the past. One that particularly struck me is entitled "Would Obama bring in to many African Americans in top Government positions?". The similarities in the OPs are very striking. Now this is JMHO and I could of course be wrong but...... just making a factual observation and drawing my own personal conclusions which even after a very cursory look wasn't difficult to do. Racist? who knows. Troll? probably. Whatever.

Old 03-13-2008, 09:36 PM

1,544 posts, read 2,271,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by politically_correct View Post
Even though Obama is doing very well in the Black Community I wonder if their support for him is maybe off base. I suspect many black voters wrongly assume he is going to be elected President and promote an black agenda with a renewed emphasis on affirmative action and black unemployment. They also believe he will hire mostly African American candidates into the government. Trouble is that Obama does not match the typical mindset of the African American community. His family did not come from slavery. He has not grown up in poverty. He has not experienced the same bad schools and discrimination directed at many African Americans. He was born in Asian dominated Hawaii and lived overseas for much of his life. Maybe he is not Black enough? On the other hand many whites, especially in the south may feel he is to African American to take care of their needs. Maybe he is to Black for these voters.

Firstly, i would like to take credit for the talking point, i brought this topic up in another discussion !!!

To the whites, half black is ALL black

To the blacks, Obama is the lesser of 2 evil and they embraced him since SC

As another thread already alluded to it, Great Expectation often leads to Great Disappointments as Dickens wrote; one step at a time for Obama

Old 03-13-2008, 09:43 PM

1,544 posts, read 2,271,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywings View Post
Actually what I think, after scanning back over the last half dozen or so pages of this particular forum, is that the OP "politically_correct" bears a striking resemblance to "Dingler" who has started more than a few of this kind of threads in the past. One that particularly struck me is entitled "Would Obama bring in to many African Americans in top Government positions?". The similarities in the OPs are very striking. Now this is JMHO and I could of course be wrong but...... just making a factual observation and drawing my own personal conclusions which even after a very cursory look wasn't difficult to do. Racist? who knows. Troll? probably. Whatever.
just for historical perspective, Dubya installed colin powell, gonzalez, condi rice and they all played the scapegoat for him. How do you want your poison?

A person like obama will play more to the gender bias than others: sam power, susan rice.........Expect 50% women in his cabinet LOL

just hope they dont turn out like hillary and Ferraro.

Btw, this is the sort of debate America needed and it took so long !! The world is looking on and witnessing a racial, gender bias soceity, and yet these yanks have the gall to install their brand of democracies elsewhere in the world LOL

Old 03-13-2008, 09:47 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,741,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by politically_correct View Post
I hear from your replies that you did not like the poll or my comments. That is disappointing.When I see that Obama is getting a 90% ratio in black vs white votes, then I see a common black mindset. I doubt they are voting for him because of a intellectual analysis of the issues, but instead because they feel he will help the black community. This is all part of the African American mindset I talked about earlier.While I understand African Americans come from a variety of backgrounds, I know they share a common cultural identity, I see BET (Black Entertainment Television) and this tells me alot!
Silly poll and you Clinton supporters are scraping the bucket. Where were you and your polls when 90% of blacks voted for Bill Clinton? Why wasn't it an issue about him not really being black enough to relate or any concern over a common mindset?

Apparently a common mindset is fine when they're voting for Hillary. Why not ask about middle aged and elderly feminists voting 95% for Hillary? Isn't that just as bad? Or how all along the border the Mexicans voted 90% for Hillary -- and that common mindset doesn't seem to concern you?

Old 03-13-2008, 09:49 PM

2,014 posts, read 3,902,022 times
When I see the "Posse" behind him now like a Reverend it confirms all I need to know about who he is and where he is headed.

Old 03-14-2008, 06:39 AM

3,860 posts, read 8,456,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywings View Post
You're not alone. I was thinking the same thing about politically-correct/dingler/goodtype and who knows who else.

Old 03-14-2008, 07:03 AM

2,290 posts, read 5,547,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by backfist View Post
Do educate us; what is a "typical African American"?
Still waiting for an answer to this question ...

Old 03-14-2008, 07:40 AM

2,885 posts, read 1,987,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Rankin View Post
As a white American, I think he speaks to all Americans.

What a crappy poll. You should have just called the thread "I dislike Obama and I'm a closet racist."
Couldn't have said it better myself, Tim!

Old 03-14-2008, 02:26 PM
miu

17,770 posts, read 40,194,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by backfist View Post
Do educate us; what is a "typical African American"?
I would say that based on the comments of black leaders like Farrakhan and now Obama's pastor, a typical African American is one whose ancestors came to America on a slavery ship, then for several generations suffered abuse and racial discrimination at the hands of the oppressive whitey.

So Obama is their great hope, a product of a black man and a white woman, but his father was never enslaved. He only came to America for a good college and grad school education. Once he achieved his goals, he returned to his home country of Kenya. And how many African Americans have an Indonesian stepfather and got to spend time growing up in Indonesia and then in Hawaii? Heck, I haven't even been to Hawaii. And how many African Americans have graduated from Harvard Law School? Most non-white Americans haven't even had that experience of going to such an elite and exclusive academic institution. The Paper Chase was one of my favorite movies when I was young.

So all of this is why I find Obama to be an atypical African American and I am puzzled as to why his African American supporters feel so strongly feels that he can relate to them and will somehow save them.

Old 03-14-2008, 02:34 PM

2,290 posts, read 5,547,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
I would say that based on the comments of black leaders like Farrakhan and now Obama's pastor, a typical African American is one whose ancestors came to America on a slavery ship, then for several generations suffered abuse and racial discrimination at the hands of the oppressive whitey.

So Obama is their great hope, a product of a black man and a white woman, but his father was never enslaved. He only came to America for a good college and grad school education. Once he achieved his goals, he returned to his home country of Kenya. And how many African Americans have an Indonesian stepfather and got to spend time growing up in Indonesia and then in Hawaii? Heck, I haven't even been to Hawaii. And how many African Americans have graduated from Harvard Law School? Most non-white Americans haven't even had that experience of going to such an elite and exclusive academic institution. The Paper Chase was one of my favorite movies when I was young.

So all of this is why I find Obama to be an atypical African American and I am puzzled as to why his African American supporters feel so strongly feels that he can relate to them and will somehow save them.
Precisely the ill-informed, woefully ignorant drivel that inspires these kinds of threads.

And if you have to ask "what's ignorant about it", you've answered your own question.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections