Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2008, 01:47 AM

881 posts, read 1,590,053 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunvixen View Post
Hello and thank you for taking time to read this. Please try to read this with an open mind as I am not writing this with anything but a sincere heart.

I am an undecided voter who had her candidate of choice drop out of the race and is now looking at three candidates which all support issues I do not support. (If it matters I am evenly split on all the major issues)

I was NEVER "anti" anybody until these past few weeks. I was very open to voting for Obama until recently.

I admit I was a bit perplexed by some of the Obama supporters out there. I could not understand AT FIRST why people would swoon and even faint over ANY politician. But then I realized that many of us have been faced with "voting for the lesser of two evils" in soooo many past elections, that the Obama crowd was really INTO him and really LIKED what he had to say. I supposed that must be a great feeling to have, as I cannot once in my lifetime remember feeling the same over ANY candidate for President. I honesty WISHED to find something about Barack to like as much as some others do and experience the joy and optimism so many of you have. I mean that. I would have been something new...and beautiful...to me.

However...

Learning more and more about Obama and his pastor, I am becoming quite afraid of him becoming the next President. Understand I am not a "sheeple" and I think for myself. I am NOT just jumping on the bandwagon of anti-Obama sentiment. I know people may say "Well, HE didn't say such-and-such, his pastor did!" but, Obama has supported him for 20 years and has stated that Wright is the person he (Obama) looks to to make sure he (Obama) "is on the right track." I'm sure there are many other threads that deal with the details and financial contributions, so I will not list them here yet again. But I will tell you about something that many people may not have encountered before in their own communities...

I have lived all my life in or very close to Detroit. We have a Mayor here who has hid behind his pastor and used other local pastors to help him gain and stay in power. This is a Mayor who most likely will not only be recalled soon, and face criminal charges, but who likely had a hand in the murder of a 27 year old exotic dancer, as well as the illegal firings of good police officers who tried to investigate him. (Again, there are threads about all this on the Detroit board and countless news stories and videos you can investigate, so I will not go into the subject any more on here.)

What one learns from watching this up-close is the danger of too-close an association between politicians and clergy, especially if the views of that clergy-person are dangerous. I believe Rev. Jeremiah Wright has dangerous views. It does not matter the denomination, but the CHARACTER and personal views of that clergy member, that close "spiritual advisor," should be taken into account. They must. It would be insane and irresponsible to ignore them.

I will not debate religious views, but I heard a saying once that seems to make more and more sense to me as time goes on:

"Religion is like salt. A little is good for you, but too much damages the system."
Jeremiah Wright seems awfully close to the racist, anti-Jew and anti-White (and anti-Arab, if you can believe it too) Louis Farrakhan.

Can you imagine someone as twisted as Jeremiah Wright influencing Obama?? This can be awfully dangerous.... a divider, racist type like Wright and Farrakhan influencing a junior politician who could be president???

The lesser of two evils seem to be McCain right now. And I don't even like him... as an Independent, I am being forced to vote for him. I cannot stand Bill Clinton, Obama is a incompetent, inexperienced nut, and McCain is all that is left.

Don't like it, but it's McCain or stay home on election day!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2008, 05:58 AM

8,396 posts, read 9,448,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fun2Day View Post
Jeremiah Wright seems awfully close to the racist, anti-Jew and anti-White (and anti-Arab, if you can believe it too) Louis Farrakhan.

Can you imagine someone as twisted as Jeremiah Wright influencing Obama?? This can be awfully dangerous.... a divider, racist type like Wright and Farrakhan influencing a junior politician who could be president???

The lesser of two evils seem to be McCain right now. And I don't even like him... as an Independent, I am being forced to vote for him. I cannot stand Bill Clinton, Obama is a incompetent, inexperienced nut, and McCain is all that is left.

Don't like it, but it's McCain or stay home on election day!

Your moniker aside, it just doesn't seem like you're having "fun."

Old 03-14-2008, 06:29 AM

4,105 posts, read 8,293,855 times
Obama has said his former pastor is like an old uncle who sometimes says things you don't agree with. I don't think it's fair to assume he shares all of the same offensive views of this guy.

I was raised Catholic, and the priest in my parish would say a lot of stuff I wouldn't agree with during his homilies. But I didn't change churches, and I didn't discount his advice--the great majority of which was constructive and made a lot of sense.

Old 03-14-2008, 07:17 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,042,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brattpowered View Post
Obama has said his former pastor is like an old uncle who sometimes says things you don't agree with. I don't think it's fair to assume he shares all of the same offensive views of this guy.

I was raised Catholic, and the priest in my parish would say a lot of stuff I wouldn't agree with during his homilies. But I didn't change churches, and I didn't discount his advice--the great majority of which was constructive and made a lot of sense.
Yes.

Ted Kennedy probably goes to Mass on many Sundays, but he has always voted pro-choice. Ask Giuliani about his complicated stance on abortion.
I'd like to think that people will see past these selectively edited videos but no doubt this is scary stuff to some folks. IMHO Obama needs to address it more directly.

Old 03-14-2008, 07:22 AM

2,290 posts, read 5,547,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunvixen View Post
Hello and thank you for taking time to read this. Please try to read this with an open mind as I am not writing this with anything but a sincere heart.

I am an undecided voter who had her candidate of choice drop out of the race and is now looking at three candidates which all support issues I do not support. (If it matters I am evenly split on all the major issues)

I was NEVER "anti" anybody until these past few weeks. I was very open to voting for Obama until recently.

I admit I was a bit perplexed by some of the Obama supporters out there. I could not understand AT FIRST why people would swoon and even faint over ANY politician. But then I realized that many of us have been faced with "voting for the lesser of two evils" in soooo many past elections, that the Obama crowd was really INTO him and really LIKED what he had to say. I supposed that must be a great feeling to have, as I cannot once in my lifetime remember feeling the same over ANY candidate for President. I honesty WISHED to find something about Barack to like as much as some others do and experience the joy and optimism so many of you have. I mean that. I would have been something new...and beautiful...to me.

However...

Learning more and more about Obama and his pastor, I am becoming quite afraid of him becoming the next President. Understand I am not a "sheeple" and I think for myself. I am NOT just jumping on the bandwagon of anti-Obama sentiment. I know people may say "Well, HE didn't say such-and-such, his pastor did!" but, Obama has supported him for 20 years and has stated that Wright is the person he (Obama) looks to to make sure he (Obama) "is on the right track." I'm sure there are many other threads that deal with the details and financial contributions, so I will not list them here yet again. But I will tell you about something that many people may not have encountered before in their own communities...

I have lived all my life in or very close to Detroit. We have a Mayor here who has hid behind his pastor and used other local pastors to help him gain and stay in power. This is a Mayor who most likely will not only be recalled soon, and face criminal charges, but who likely had a hand in the murder of a 27 year old exotic dancer, as well as the illegal firings of good police officers who tried to investigate him. (Again, there are threads about all this on the Detroit board and countless news stories and videos you can investigate, so I will not go into the subject any more on here.)

What one learns from watching this up-close is the danger of too-close an association between politicians and clergy, especially if the views of that clergy-person are dangerous. I believe Rev. Jeremiah Wright has dangerous views. It does not matter the denomination, but the CHARACTER and personal views of that clergy member, that close "spiritual advisor," should be taken into account. They must. It would be insane and irresponsible to ignore them.

I will not debate religious views, but I heard a saying once that seems to make more and more sense to me as time goes on:

"Religion is like salt. A little is good for you, but too much damages the system."
I certainly find your last sentence true, and in much need of heeding.

I will also say that it's important to understand that Barack Obama isn't some impressionable youth, given to bad influence by questionable people. He's a grown man with extraordinary talents, vision, and superior leadership qualities. Now, some of the things that his pastor has said are vile and reprehensible, and certainly not befitting the words of a clergyman. Yet I would defy anyone to show any evidence that Barack thinks, believes, supports or acts in any way like that pastor (if he's still a pastor after that recent rant).

I think that Americans who support Senator Obama are wise enough to know that some Chicago pastor who spews anti-American and racialized language, doesn't speak in any way for Senator Obama. And the faster Senator Obama reminds America of this, the better.

Now ... if some folks still need to associate Barack with this pastor, then that's their problem. Just remember, there are a lot of elected officials who attend mostly white Catholic churches, and who believed in and supported many a child-molesting Catholic Priest.

Old 03-14-2008, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by backfist View Post
(if he's still a pastor after that recent rant)
He had actually retired as pastor before the media decided to trot his speeches out to help out their "darling" Obama.

Old 03-14-2008, 07:42 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,042,932 times
Quote:

Now ... if some folks still need to associate Barack with this pastor, then that's their problem.
Yes. You do wonder if people *look* for something to condemn.
Quote:
Just remember, there are a lot of elected officials who attend mostly white Catholic churches, and who believed in and supported many a child-molesting Catholic Priest.
But did they do this knowingly?
However, I agree that when it comes to politicians and their spiritual mentors, any mentor's guidance, controversial or not, may be appreciated but not followed to every last declaration.
Quote:
I think that Americans who support Senator Obama are wise enough to know that some Chicago pastor who spews anti-American and racialized language, doesn't speak in any way for Senator Obama. And the faster Senator Obama reminds America of this, the better.
Yes.

Old 03-14-2008, 07:51 AM

5,696 posts, read 6,211,794 times
Quote:
I certainly find your last sentence true, and in much need of heeding.

I will also say that it's important to understand that Barack Obama isn't some impressionable youth, given to bad influence by questionable people. He's a grown man with extraordinary talents, vision, and superior leadership qualities. Now, some of the things that his pastor has said are vile and reprehensible, and certainly not befitting the words of a clergyman. Yet I would defy anyone to show any evidence that Barack thinks, believes, supports or acts in any way like that pastor (if he's still a pastor after that recent rant).

Now ... if some folks still need to associate Barack with this pastor, then that's their problem. Just remember, there are a lot of elected officials who attend mostly white Catholic churches, and who believed in and supported many a child-molesting Catholic Priest.

you said a lot,"Barack Obama isn't some impressionable youth, given to bad influence by questionable people."

He is a grown man that made a decision to sit at the feet of this guy for 20 years!!
This is more of how Obama handles things.
When confronted, he makes excuses and tries to pretend we, the voters, are blind at what we see.
That it is not really the truth.
He makes his spins and expects us to jump in line.
He is outraged that some of us dare question.
His supporters belittle our concerns, we are told this has nothing to do with Obama.
Even the MSM is not questioning this like they did two days ago when
a statement was made that they, Obama, and his supporters deemed
as racist. The media did nothing but go on and on about it.
This is
outrageous!!
It is time that Obama talk out of one side of his mouth instead of two.
I was told that if it looks like a duck, and it quacks like a duck, then chances
are it is a duck.
And from Obama I hear a lot of "Quacking"
No offence to ducks!!

Old 03-14-2008, 07:55 AM

2,885 posts, read 1,987,189 times
Obama has said he does not always agree with the pastor. I can understand why one would continue to go to a certain church. Not all of what this Jeremiah Wright says is bad or wrong. I don't always agree with any priest/pastor/rabbi all the time. Hillary attended a church in which her pastor was very anti-gay. Doesn't mean much to me.

Old 03-14-2008, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgia dem View Post
Even the MSM is not questioning this like they did two days ago when
a statement was made that they, Obama, and his supporters deemed
as racist. The media did nothing but go on and on about it.
Has your TV been on the fritz the past few days?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections