Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Any changes?
Republicans will still hold the Senate. No gain for Dems or Republicans. 11 12.79%
Democrats will gain 1 or more seats. 23 26.74%
Republicans will gain 1 or more seats. 52 60.47%
Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2017, 07:21 AM

30,168 posts, read 11,803,456 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Yep, in 2010 Democrats lost seats, but they ignored the warning signs. In 2012 Dems lost more legislative seats but they continued to ignore the warnings. Same thing in 2014. Democrats lost over 1000 legislative seats during Obama's presidency and STILL, Dems continue to ignore, blame, insult, attack people. Yes, Obama did good for Obama but not the Democrat party. If you can't accept responsibility, how can you change course?

Blame doesn't empower you. It keeps you stuck in a place. Without accepting fault and responsibility, you can not make the necessary changes to accomplish your goal.
I think what happens is the party in power in the white house becomes a lightning rod for the other party. Obama got into office and the GOP voters got motivated against him. The same would probably happen now but the Democrats are so disorganized and all their attacks are at Trump not the GOP so I am not sure it will effect senate and house races the way it normally would.

The biggest thing facing the GOP in congress is republican voters. They better start getting things done or there will be a big turnover. Problem with that is that sort of upheaval could bring out inexperienced candidates for the GOP who in the spotlight might make a major gaffe that causes them to lose the election.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2017, 09:03 PM

956 posts, read 1,208,045 times
A lot of people I see here forget senator seats usually don't follow if a state is "blue or "red"

It's way too early to tell what the GOP or Dems will do. Who knows what Muller finds. Politics is always changing daily.

Old 09-06-2017, 09:07 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,861,848 times
Somehow, some way... the Russians are behind this... /end sarcasm

Old 09-06-2017, 09:40 PM

10,513 posts, read 5,169,235 times
Over 90% of the time the party out of power picks up seats in the midterms. I'm not going to try to buck those odds. Dems pick up a seat or two.

Old 09-13-2017, 09:06 PM

7,081 posts, read 8,949,114 times
The republicans will pick up all kinds of seats in 2018, most of the incumbents are democrats, 2018 is a midterm that democrats just don't turn out for, old people in Michigan will vote for that Robert Ritchie guy just because he has an "R" next to his name.

Old 09-13-2017, 10:18 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,243,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HumpDay View Post
This should be interesting. I can't wait for this. This will really prove how the public perceives the Trump administration. Polls mean nothing, considering the fact nearly every poll in the 2016 General Election stated Clinton would win. There are MANY elections going on in November 2018. I understand it's early but hopefully this thread will last until 2018. What are your predictions? Will all of them win or who do you believe will lose? Thoughts?

This is the complete list of the races:

Arizona with Republican Senator Jeff Flake. He is running.

California with Democratic Senator Dianne Feinstein. She is running.

Connecticut with Democratic Senator Chris Murphy. He is running.

Delaware with Democratic Senator Tom Carper. He is running.

Florida with Democratic Senator Bill Nelson. He is running.

Hawaii with Democratic Senator Mazie Hirono. She is running, I believe.

Indiana with Democratic Senator Joe Donnelly. He is running.

Maine with Independent Senator Angus King. He is running.

Maryland with Democratic Senator Ben Cardon. He is undecided whether he will run or not.

Massachusetts with Democratic Senator Elizabeth Warren. She is running.

Michigan with Democratic Senator Debbie Shabenow. She is running.

Minnesota with Democratic Amy Klobuchar. She is running.

Mississippi with Republican Roger Wicker. He is running.

Missouri with Democratic Senator Claire McCaskill. She is running.

Montana with Democratic Senator Jon Tester. He is running.

Nebraska with Republican Senator Deb Fischer. She is running.

Nevada with Republican Senator Dean Heller. He is running.

New Jersey with Democratic Senator Bob Menendez. He is running.

New Mexico with Democratic Senator Martin Heinrich. He is running.

New York with Democratic Senator Kirsten Gillibrand. She is running.

North Dakota with Democratic Senator Heidi Heitkamp. She is running.

Ohio with Democratic Senator Sherrod Brown. He is running.

Pennsylvania with Democratic Senator Bob Casey Jr. He is running.

Rhode Island with Democratic Senator Sheldon Whitehouse. He is running.

Tennessee with Republican Senator Bob Corker. He is running.

Texas with Republican Senator Ted Cruz. He is running.

Utah with Republican Senator Orrin Hatch. I think he's running but I also heard he may retire.

Vermont with Independent Senator Bernie Sanders. He is running.

Virginia with Democratic Senator Tim Kaine. He is running.

Washington with Democratic Senator Maria Cantwell. She is running.

West Virginia with Democratic Senator Joe Manchin. He is running.

Wisconsin with Democratic Senator Tammy Baldwin. She is running.

Wyoming with Republican Senator John Barrasso. He is running.

I ran through the list and came up with +7 Republicans in 2018.

Old 09-15-2017, 02:55 PM

25,578 posts, read 17,298,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by American Expat View Post
I ran through the list and came up with +7 Republicans in 2018.
LOL!

I am going with a pickup by Republicans of 1+ seats. The Democrats just have too many contests going on. Something will go wrong for someone.

(dunno about 7)

Old 09-16-2017, 06:12 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,772,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Damn, I chose the wrong option, meant to vote that Democrats will gain 1 or more seats
that's what I am thinking. Mix term almost always means a gain for the other side. I don't think this year will be any different. I doubt there will be a huge gain, not like in some years but probably 1 pickup

Old 09-16-2017, 07:26 AM

5,069 posts, read 2,279,232 times
Didn't vote in the poll, 'cause there's just SO much unknown and unrest right now that I think there's no way to tell. I wanted add a couple notes about two of the senators, though.

Bob Menendez, in NJ, is a corrupt SOB and that he's still in office is gross. He will still probably win reelection due to his last name and being a Democrat, but it could be very close. Jeff Bell, the Republican, was closer to Corey Booker in the last election than you might have expected, and Menendez is no Booker.

Casey, in PA, is not horribly unpopular, but PA is a very purple state. Casey will be hurt by the fact that fewer Democrats turn out in these elections, but it's hard to say by how much. Casey's anti-gun stance will hurt him with a lot of PA voters. Lou Barletta (my rep) is running against him on the Republican ticket. I really like Barletta, and while he is widely popular in our area - a rural Republican stronghold - I'm not sure how much people across the state know about him, other than the controversy about his law to crack down on employers who hire illegal aliens. He was mayor of Hazelton, one of the most Democratic areas of the state outside Pittsburgh and Philly, so he has a lot of cross-over support already. He's a local boy, went to local college and university, worked in his family's construction business, then created his own pavement company, which he later sold. Hard worker; good guy. This one seems pretty impossible to call. At least at this point.

Old 09-17-2017, 04:46 AM

18,773 posts, read 18,150,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swilliamsny View Post
Didn't vote in the poll, 'cause there's just SO much unknown and unrest right now that I think there's no way to tell. I wanted add a couple notes about two of the senators, though.

Bob Menendez, in NJ, is a corrupt SOB and that he's still in office is gross. He will still probably win reelection due to his last name and being a Democrat, but it could be very close. Jeff Bell, the Republican, was closer to Corey Booker in the last election than you might have expected, and Menendez is no Booker.

Casey, in PA, is not horribly unpopular, but PA is a very purple state. Casey will be hurt by the fact that fewer Democrats turn out in these elections, but it's hard to say by how much. Casey's anti-gun stance will hurt him with a lot of PA voters. Lou Barletta (my rep) is running against him on the Republican ticket. I really like Barletta, and while he is widely popular in our area - a rural Republican stronghold - I'm not sure how much people across the state know about him, other than the controversy about his law to crack down on employers who hire illegal aliens. He was mayor of Hazelton, one of the most Democratic areas of the state outside Pittsburgh and Philly, so he has a lot of cross-over support already. He's a local boy, went to local college and university, worked in his family's construction business, then created his own pavement company, which he later sold. Hard worker; good guy. This one seems pretty impossible to call. At least at this point.
I just wanted to say that I have supported Lou's run against Casey. Even before the announcement I had hoped that he would eventually run against Casey. Senator Casey has the same voting record on illegal immigration as Obama, Hillary, Sanders and McCain; he is an enabler of a system that has torn apart America.

Representative Barletta has fought against illegal immigration from the time he was Mayor of Hazelton. Plus I do like many of his other positions.

Taking on Casey you have to have name recognition and Barletta has that. Casey has the war machinery which will be hard to defeat; but Barletta is our best chance. While Casey strongholds will still support their champion; I think that rural PA will go to Barletta. Hopefully there will be enough votes to unseat Casey. Two years is still a long time away and since Lou has been a big Trump supporter; his chance for a successful run could be tied to Trump's successes or defeats.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections