Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2008, 01:06 PM

3,491 posts, read 8,581,684 times

Advertisements

Why is he supporting McCain? Now this guy has been in Washington too long and to think he would have been Vice-President if Gore got elected in 2000. I always thought Joe Liberman looked like Conrad Bain (Mr Drummond) on Different Strokes

WHATCHOO TALKIN BOUT JOE!
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2008, 01:09 PM

1,774 posts, read 2,808,722 times
I heard he's travelling with him to middle east. He's just hungry for something higher than senate seat. Griddy.

Old 03-18-2008, 01:11 PM

184 posts, read 1,007,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnestorr View Post
I heard he's travelling with him to middle east. He's just hungry for something higher than senate seat. Griddy.
VP seat? I can see that; this guy is the one of the most conservative neocon in either party. This would pull jewish votes from democrats.

Old 03-18-2008, 01:26 PM

4,739 posts, read 10,439,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2austin
conservative neocon
That's silly. Holy Joe is liberal on just about every issue other than the war. His National Journal liberal rating is higher than Dems McCaskill, Baucus, Conrad, Pryor, Landrieu, and Nelson.

Lieberman supports McCain because he knows that McCain will win in Iraq.

Lieberman, Joe, ID-Conn. 57.5

NATIONAL JOURNAL: 2007 Vote Ratings (03/07/2008) (http://nationaljournal.com/voteratings/sen/lib_cons.htm?o1=lib_composite&o2=desc - broken link)

But then if you're looking for liberal perfection, the closest you can get is Obama at 95.5 - the most liberal Senator. For comparison Clinton scores 82.8; McCain wasn't scored.

Old 03-18-2008, 01:33 PM

8,064 posts, read 18,009,043 times
Lieberman believed he was hung out to dry by the Democratic Party. He lost the Democratic primary (for his re-election to the Senate), ran as an Independent, and won. Since then, he's maintained his Independent stance.

I'm not a huge fan of Joe Lieberman but I do sympathize with and admire his cause. Moderates are kicked to the curb by both parties, it seems. The Dems have signalled strongly that they want to return to the left and the Repubs don't believe McCain is conservative enough.

Time for a third, moderate party and I would hope that Lieberman and other moderates will seriously consider starting one.

Old 03-18-2008, 02:28 PM

2,215 posts, read 3,614,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reactionary View Post
That's silly. Holy Joe is liberal on just about every issue other than the war. His National Journal liberal rating is higher than Dems McCaskill, Baucus, Conrad, Pryor, Landrieu, and Nelson.

Lieberman supports McCain because he knows that McCain will win in Iraq.

Lieberman, Joe, ID-Conn. 57.5

NATIONAL JOURNAL: 2007 Vote Ratings (03/07/2008) (http://nationaljournal.com/voteratings/sen/lib_cons.htm?o1=lib_composite&o2=desc - broken link)

But then if you're looking for liberal perfection, the closest you can get is Obama at 95.5 - the most liberal Senator. For comparison Clinton scores 82.8; McCain wasn't scored.

Agreed. He is the only democrat with the "guts" to speak the truth. He is the only one who knows what is important to us and not afraid to stand up for the right thing.
So now democrats are all over him, what a party we have become when we run out someone like Lieberman because he tells the truth.
I am now an independant and voting for McCain after voting democrat my entire life. I cannot stand what this party has become, a blind power crazy group of people who spends more time trying to find ways to make things worse then better.

Old 03-18-2008, 02:55 PM

7,211 posts, read 9,430,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshine Chick View Post
Agreed. He is the only democrat with the "guts" to speak the truth. He is the only one who knows what is important to us and not afraid to stand up for the right thing.
So now democrats are all over him, what a party we have become when we run out someone like Lieberman because he tells the truth.
I am now an independant and voting for McCain after voting democrat my entire life. I cannot stand what this party has become, a blind power crazy group of people who spends more time trying to find ways to make things worse then better.
The truth? as told by Republicans? Don't make me laugh. Lieberman is a traitor to his party much in the mold of Zell Miller. He does the bidding of powerful Jewish lobbies such as AIPAC. That accounts for his pro Israel foreign policy stance.

Lieberman is Chairman of the Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs Committee. Once the Democrats achieve a stronger majority in the Senate, he will likely be stripped of this honor and sent the way of all party traitors.

Old 03-18-2008, 03:21 PM

184 posts, read 1,007,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teatime View Post
Time for a third, moderate party and I would hope that Lieberman and other moderates will seriously consider starting one.
Moderate?? huh!

The Bush administration sold the Iraq war on a phony premise. It worked hard to convince Americans that Saddam Hussein was behind 9/11. And it succeeded.

After utterly botching the occupation and causing incalculable damage to America, Bush's "plan" consists of continuing to pretend the whole thing isn't a catastrophe until the day he dumps it in his successor's lap.

And Lieberman has been one of the president's biggest cheerleaders, every bloody step of the way.

Old 03-18-2008, 03:26 PM

4,739 posts, read 10,439,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upton
sent the way of all party traitors
Dah, Kommissar.

Old 03-18-2008, 04:29 PM

11,578 posts, read 13,947,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2austin View Post
Moderate?? huh!

The Bush administration sold the Iraq war on a phony premise. It worked hard to convince Americans that Saddam Hussein was behind 9/11. And it succeeded.

After utterly botching the occupation and causing incalculable damage to America, Bush's "plan" consists of continuing to pretend the whole thing isn't a catastrophe until the day he dumps it in his successor's lap.

And Lieberman has been one of the president's biggest cheerleaders, every bloody step of the way.
Way to cut and paste. If you cannot think of something on your own, take it from someone else and pawn it off as your own. Fail
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections