Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2017, 04:42 PM

5,752 posts, read 2,785,631 times

Advertisements

All politics is local. There's an old saying, past performance does not guarantee future results. The dems are going to have to work fast, hard, and continuously to capitalize on the small start they got last night.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2017, 04:44 PM

18,741 posts, read 7,625,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss View Post
Their idea to destroy healthcare and now destroy the tax system
The usual "If government doesn't provide it, no one will provide it" hoax the Dems keep trying to foist on us. Coupled with the usual lies about Republicans.

These people really need some new material.

They have been drowning in a deep ocean with no help in sight, or a year now. After that, even the smallest rope they find looks like the Golden Gate Bridge to them. Look at them celebrating their salvation.

But it is still just a small rope. There is still no help in sight, and they're still drowning.

Old 11-08-2017, 04:45 PM

12,906 posts, read 15,672,567 times
I believe that in the case of Virginia, exit polls specifically focused on voter turnout and why they turned out and who they voted for. I can't remember off the top of my head the numbers reported but an interesting amount of people polled after they voted stated they turned out to make this a vote against Trump and there was a very vigorous democratic turnout in a local election that's historically pretty tepid.

I suspect we'll never really know what the deal was, but as a Virginian and listening to conversations (anecdotal I know) it seemed to me that however you voted, it was either for or against the administration. Over the past several months, several people who didn't feel strongly about the race at all, changed their tune based on the perception of governmental chaos. People in Virginia, especially Northern Virginia where we are so close to it all and our "regional" news is filled with governmental antics, well, people are fatigued by a lot of what is going on. Probably more so in this area, I have seen a couple of republicans getting fed up things. TBH, Gillespie or Northam would have been a fine governor. I had no strong feelings about either. I was happy when Corey Stewart was pushed out and would have felt good with either Gillespie, Wagner (also dropped but I loved him), or Northam. I think most people felt that way. But the last couple of months, where the negativity filtered in and the Trumpism started, was probably the end for Gillespie.

Old 11-08-2017, 04:46 PM

50,388 posts, read 64,062,004 times
My opinion on two Dems winning in two Democratic states is...ho hum.

Old 11-08-2017, 04:48 PM

50,388 posts, read 64,062,004 times

They get what they deserve, and it will remain to be seen if it was a good move, or not.

Old 11-08-2017, 04:51 PM

12,906 posts, read 15,672,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post

They get what they deserve, and it will remain to be seen if it was a good move, or not.
I know everyone says it but we in Virginia do not consider ourselves a Democratic state. It is certainly trending that way and is now considered purple but depending on voter turnout, it could go either way on a dime.

Southern and Central VA is decidedly RED. Northern VA trends blue with some purple suburbs. This election, those purple suburbs went blue and the rest of Virginia cannot compete with Northern VA if it decides to get out and vote. Most of my live in Virginia, we have been a predominantly red state. Heck if we were a blue state, Hillary would have done much better than she did in the presidential election. It was a fairly close race for a blue state.

I know the republicans want to downplay this win and say that it's not surprising, but this type of win statewide was not expected at all by Virginians.

Old 11-08-2017, 04:56 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,785,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
You can hardly look to the victories in NJ and VA as a sign of success to come for Dems. And, let's face it, those were the top prizes yesterday. Such a suggestion would be laughable if I wasn't so concerned that those making it lacked a basic understanding of the politics of those states. Victories in VA and NJ (NJ has long been a blue state while VA has more recently become one, particularly for statewide elections) by Dems are the expectation. It is only unusual when a Republican wins in those states today. Thus, it was more remarkable when Chris Christie won the governorship in NJ 8 years ago than the Dems winning back what is a naturally Dem-leaning state. The same goes for VA. While pretty Republican pre-2008, the demographics have shifted in such a way where VA can no longer truly be considered even a swing state for statewide elections.

This is like the GOP celebrating after winning the Louisiana gubernatorial election
It wasn't just VA and NJ, it was everywhere. And the VA state win was the largest in 118 years. That's a huge win. VA is not California. It's very much purple.

Dems also won in places like Montana and Georgia.

Old 11-08-2017, 04:58 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,277,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoOnMyMind View Post
Tax cuts will not work against them if it's passed, that may be what can save them
Not if the excise tax is passed and consumers end up paying more for consumer goods. This will not save anyone. The plan is not going to help the average American. Any suckers believing that will find out after it is passed that nothing is putting more money in their pockets. Let's see what the plan looks like after the GOP swamp creatures get through with it.

"....Because this new 20 percent tax would apply to cost of goods sold, this could have a serious impact on global supply chains and ultimately increase prices for consumers—akin to the unpopular Border Adjustment Tax debated earlier this year," read the letter from Brent Gardner, chief government affairs officer at Americans for Prosperity...."

Trump, GOP tax plan: 20% excise tax on foreign earnings - Business Insider

Old 11-08-2017, 04:58 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,785,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post

VA is not a Democratic state, and those aren't the only 2 states Dems won. They're just the Governor's races. There were state and local races in lots of states and Dems dominated all of them including Georgia and Montana.

Old 11-08-2017, 05:01 PM

9,329 posts, read 4,147,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss View Post
Watching the GOP reps. on TV and seeing a mixed bag. POTUS lost this election. The GOP lost this election. Their idea to destroy healthcare and now destroy the tax system will work against them if either is passed.

Right now the GOP and the failure to re-up the re-insurance provisions of the ACA are coming to light. Healthcare coverage for workers and retirees are going up based on that failure. The tax plan is looking real bad as more people actually are doing their own numbers and seeing an increase. The idea to pass something just to say they passed it will not work if the product sucks. With out bi-partisan action the GOP will get killed in 2017.

Comments
I guess my comment is that I don't see how your post explains the GOP's misunderstanding.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections