Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2017, 11:26 AM

3,226 posts, read 2,267,947 times

Advertisements

The mid-year 2017 population estimates were released today, and they suggest a few changes in the electoral college allocations. Of course we have a few more years to go until the 2020 census takes place, but these estimates can give a good idea of which states are on track to gain or lose electoral votes.

Gains:
  1. Colorado +1 (7->8)
  2. Florida +1 (27->28)
  3. North Carolina +1 (13->14)
  4. Oregon +1 (5->6)
  5. Texas +2 (36->38)

Losses:
  1. Illinois -1 (18->17)
  2. Michigan -1 (14->13)
  3. Minnesota -1 (8->7)
  4. New York -1 (27->26)
  5. Pennsylvania -1 (18->17)
  6. West Virginia -1 (3->2)

For the gains, there is 1 in a solid blue state (OR), 1 in light blue (CO), 1 in purple (FL), 1 in light red (NC), and 2 in solid red (TX). For the losses, there is 2 in solid blue (IL/NY), 1 in light blue (MN), 2 in purple (MI/PA), and 1 in solid red (WV).

This suggests an overall net gain of 1-2 electoral college votes for Republicans - not exactly a huge change. While the states can shift politically I think it's pretty clear for now that Texas' strong growth in particular will work to the benefit of Republicans in presidential races. And no, red states are not always faster growing than blue states; Oregon vs. West Virginia being a key example.

The next state on track to lose a seat is Rhode Island (solid blue), followed by Alabama (solid red). The next couple potential gains are for Montana (solid red) and Arizona (light red).

Last edited by jas75; 12-20-2017 at 11:50 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2017, 01:05 PM

21,992 posts, read 15,795,833 times
The growth in Florida is likely from Puerto Rico which may not benefit Republicans. The growth in Texas is mostly in the cities which may or may not benefit Republicans. I know in my state of Washington, the second largest contributor to our growth is (unhappily) from Texas. The generic ticket has Democrats over Republicans by double digits.

Poll: Democrats hold double-digit lead in generic ballot | TheHill

Old 12-21-2017, 01:42 PM

3,221 posts, read 1,751,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
The growth in Florida is likely from Puerto Rico which may not benefit Republicans. The growth in Texas is mostly in the cities which may or may not benefit Republicans. I know in my state of Washington, the second largest contributor to our growth is (unhappily) from Texas. The generic ticket has Democrats over Republicans by double digits.

Poll: Democrats hold double-digit lead in generic ballot | TheHill
Last I checked (bear in mind this was over a month ago) - 130,000 Puerto Ricans had come to Florida since Hurricane Maria hit. Trump won by approximately 113,000 in Florida, i believe.

No guarantee they'll all vote, or even that they'd all vote blue, but it's an interesting wrinkle.

Old 12-21-2017, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhallian View Post
Last I checked (bear in mind this was over a month ago) - 130,000 Puerto Ricans had come to Florida since Hurricane Maria hit. Trump won by approximately 113,000 in Florida, i believe.

No guarantee they'll all vote, or even that they'd all vote blue, but it's an interesting wrinkle.
It says here over 200K have moved to Florida. I don't know how it will turn out either but we'll see.

Over 200,000 Puerto Ricans have arrived in Florida since Hurricane Maria

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/latino/...-maria-n825111

Old 12-21-2017, 01:55 PM

11,986 posts, read 5,335,073 times
The bottom line on the Sunbelt increase in electoral votes.

1. Probably a gain of a few electoral votes in Republican states in presidential races, at least in the short term.
2. Not likely an increase in Republican congressmen because most of the pop increase is in Democratic leaning areas or groups and there’s a limit on the amount of gerrymandering of minority districts you could get away without without triggering court challenges.

Old 12-21-2017, 02:05 PM

3,221 posts, read 1,751,710 times
Quote:
It says here over 200K have moved to Florida. I don't know how it will turn out either but we'll see.

Well let's run some numbers here:

Let's assume national average voter turnout (60%) for Puerto Ricans that come over here: That's 120,000.

While Puerto Ricans on average are more socially conservative than Democrats, given the federal response in PR and Trump's comments in the weeks during and subsequent to the disaster, let's say they go 70/30 for the Democrats. That's 84,000 votes.

Subtract the remaining 36,000 votes that went red, and that's potentially a 48,000 net gain for Democrats.

So, perhaps not enough to win, but it's still significant. And who knows how a new candidate for the Democrats might change things?

Old 12-21-2017, 07:15 PM

1,018 posts, read 516,865 times
Shoot where I live in Washington State, the place has became infested with Mexicans, making it even more liberal. Everywhere I go they are in droves and can't even speak English. Unfortunately, Washington State votes Democrat regardless. So, being a Republican, my vote doesn't really count here, thanks to the liberals in Seattle. When I lived in Tennessee, my vote was always counted, cause it is overwhelmingly Republican.

Old 12-21-2017, 07:16 PM

1,018 posts, read 516,865 times
Quote:

Keep in mind, that even with The Latino Voters, Trump still won the state of Florida in the last election.

Old 12-21-2017, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss1234 View Post
Shoot where I live in Washington State, the place has became infested with Mexicans, making it even more liberal. Everywhere I go they are in droves and can't even speak English. Unfortunately, Washington State votes Democrat regardless. So, being a Republican, my vote doesn't really count here, thanks to the liberals in Seattle. When I lived in Tennessee, my vote was always counted, cause it is overwhelmingly Republican.
One can always go back home to Tennessee or any other red state. Washington has been blue for 40 years so it shouldn't have been a surprise.

Quote:
Keep in mind, that even with The Latino Voters, Trump still won the state of Florida in the last election.
Trump won by 100K votes and 200K Puerto Ricans have left Puerto Rico to move to Florida. They paid the price for Trump's treatment of Puerto Rico. There are no guarantees but it certainly may have an impact in future elections.

Old 12-21-2017, 09:47 PM

4,488 posts, read 1,658,468 times
Quote:
Well, that was a hate-filled rant! If you don’t like being around so many Democrats and Mexicans, maybe you should move back to Tennessee. Why should Seattle change just to make you happy? BTW, I’ve been to Seattle and the Hispanic population is small compared to Southern California.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections