Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2018, 10:25 PM

7,588 posts, read 6,636,763 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
Maryland? What percentage of Americans could even find this do nothing state on a map? It's a none issue. Trump will bulldoze through 2020 in victorious style, and dems will continue to drown in their own tears.

Winning!
Depends. Liberals, who actually paid attention in school? Probably a significant majority.

Conservatives, who sat in the back row making farting noises with their armpits and eating paste? Hell, I'd be surprised if a majority of them even knew it existed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2018, 03:49 AM

45,452 posts, read 60,666,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Why would you say that. Hogan is doing a fine job and he was elected because he is a moderate republican. There are not many left. Democrats voted for him. And they will vote for him again. So stop spinning your tale.
No spin at all. And the same thing was said about Ehrlich. Did you miss the part that even though Hogan's approval rating is in the 60%+ range less than 1/2 of those surveyed will vote to reelect him? In a state where there is a 2-1 voter advantage that number is significant.

Old 04-07-2018, 05:54 AM

59,164 posts, read 27,371,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aridon View Post
Well for starters, it is a great place to start to look for conflicts of interest. Especially when your business can boom simply because you are President and visit your properties.

Imagine if Clinton had a Mar Lago and allowed access to the president by paying the 500k fee? People were bitching about the Lincoln bedroom ffs much less paying a membership fee to join the President's own club he visits all the damn time.

Regardless, this won't last through the courts.
"Well for starters, it is a great place to start to look for conflicts of interest."

The Financial Statements they file show MORE then tax returns.

Old 04-07-2018, 06:01 AM

45,452 posts, read 60,666,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"Well for starters, it is a great place to start to look for conflicts of interest."

The Financial Statements they file show MORE then tax returns.
What mine shows for Maryland:

all real property owned
all mortgage holders for that property
the original amount of those mortgages, interest rate and amount remaining on the mortgages
from whom that real property was purchased
since I am the administrator for the family for coal rights in another state, that has to be listed
all consumer debt
the holders of that consumer debt
worth of all stock holdings and original price paid
all sources of my income
imputed value of any pensions or retirement instruments
all sources of Mrs. NBP's income
all sources of income for my children even though they no longer live with me

Those are just the major categories. If I have a business relationship with any vendor which also has a relationship with the government I have to list that with the amount of money involved.

Old 04-07-2018, 06:14 AM

9,884 posts, read 10,986,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
of course it will be challenged in court. No state has the right to impose a law like this. I think we all would like him to release them, but he can not be kept off the ballot for such a reason. The federal law still takes precedence over state laws, and I am not sure there is even a low regarding this.
"We all would like him to release them"??
Have you been reading the comments about Trump's tax returns for the last 2 years or so? A great many people just don't care! There are a few such comments right here on this thread.
Sorry, no, "we all" do not care about the tax returns. "Financial Disclosure" forms, as required by law, yes, we care.
The Maryland Legislature is simply proving, IMO, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that they (collectively, and possibly individually) are a few bricks shy of a full load!

Old 04-07-2018, 07:30 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,327,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
...unless he releases his Federal income tax returns under a new law. I'm sure it will be challenged in court, but the courts could just as easily swing one way as the other. I wonder if he will comply, or just write Maryland off and make it up elsewhere?

President Trump To Be Taken Off The Election Ballot In Maryland Under New Law
That law would be in violation of the Constitution. There is no such requirement under Federal Law or the Constitution that requires a Presidential candidate, or any candidate, to release any financial records. If there is, please cite it so that I can be informed.

Quote:
“For 40 years in the United States, every presidential candidate has done this until 15 months ago,†bill sponsor Sen. Paul G. Pinsky (D-Prince George’s) said of releasing tax returns. “People have come to expect this kind of information. Voters want to know before a name appears on the ballot.â€
This has been on a voluntary basis. Of course, it is a Democrat proposing this. We've come to expect this from Democrats, who have no regard for our laws or the Constitution.

Old 04-07-2018, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Lol, yea, I am sure that will happen.

Again; why is it anyone's business what his or any person's tax returns are? What exactly will anyone do with the information? The only people who need the info is the federal government, in which the returns are prepared for.
Besides the fact that most voters wouldn't understand what's in someone's tax return anyway. Most people have someone else fill out their forms, because they can't understand them.

A person's personal financial information is nobody's business.

Good luck with this, Democrats. Just one more reason not to vote for any Democrat ...ever.

Old 04-07-2018, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aridon View Post
Well for starters, it is a great place to start to look for conflicts of interest. Especially when your business can boom simply because you are President and visit your properties.

Imagine if Clinton had a Mar Lago and allowed access to the president by paying the 500k fee? People were bitching about the Lincoln bedroom ffs much less paying a membership fee to join the President's own club he visits all the damn time.

Regardless, this won't last through the courts.
So, what you are saying here is that no business man (or woman) should ever run for elective office, but only "professional" politicians.

That isn't the principle on which our Founders created this country. Our form of government (Constitutional Republic) was founded as a government by the people, for the people. Government by the consent of the governed.

Sounds like what you want is a professional governing class ...a.k.a., "progressivism." No longer government by the people, but only by those "qualified" according to your definition.

Sorry, but we threw off the royal governing class when we declared our independence.

I suspect you were an Obama/Hillary supporter. Am I right?

Old 04-07-2018, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
For an elected official the financial disclosure is much more informative than tax returns.
And how does that help if someone lies? We still wound up with crooked Bill and Hillary. And they're still walking around free, when they should both be in jail.

We knew little to nothing about Barack Obama. I have no doubt he isn't exactly as clean as the wind driven snow. His current activities (OFA) tell me the guy is as criminal as the day is long. What did he do as a "community organizer" but engage in election fraud? (Not the least of which was his association with ACORN)

Old 04-07-2018, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Oh for heavens sake. do you really think with all the money he has and his age he really is in his position just to grow his business?
They absolutely do believe that. They have said so. He's already been accused of profiting by being President.

I wonder what makes them think professional politicians can be trusted?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections