Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2018, 07:20 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,702,555 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoot N Annie View Post
lol - It is a typical liberal reaction that you don't want to believe the facts when they don't fit the LWLT narrative.

And no I didn't vote for Obama or McCain or Romney. I did vote for Rosanne Barr in 2012.

Try again

p.s. - you keep trying to make this about me - it's about who one and who lost
You mean who won and who lost?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2018, 01:33 PM

8,913 posts, read 4,635,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
You mean who won and who lost?
Yes, I already fixed that, but thanks.

So, who did win? Who lost? Grasping at straws is pathetic. Try again.

Old 04-26-2018, 02:18 PM

32,195 posts, read 34,908,194 times
What if Democrats had to outspend Republicans by a 5 to 1 margin to win San Francisco? Would that be a good sign?

Old 04-26-2018, 03:06 PM

2,940 posts, read 1,822,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoot N Annie View Post
lol - last year, when I lived on the Big Island I voted for Tulsi Gabbard (she also won), sooooo, no. Try again.
Lesko is a partisan hack. She's planning on joining the Freedom Caucus... you know, the far right wingers who wants nothing more than to dismantle the entire federal government.

Old 04-26-2018, 03:32 PM

12,997 posts, read 13,684,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
What if Democrats had to outspend Republicans by a 5 to 1 margin to win San Francisco? Would that be a good sign?
Great comparison.

Old 04-26-2018, 11:55 PM

30,750 posts, read 18,447,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dashrendar4454 View Post
Uh so?
We already know Democrats are willing to crawl over broken glass to vote against Trump. The goal is to get a turnout big enough on the Republican side and with Arizona, it looks like we can do that
The thing is, yes, Democrats are energized. But Dems will need a lot more crossover in order to win the House back. The Dem nominee in AZ 8 got fewer votes than the Dem nominee for the seat got in 2016. Yes, that's to be expected in a special election, but this also tells me that the issue is an enthusiasm gap. And that GOPers are not voting for Dems for the most part, but are rather staying home. But I doubt we'll see such a trend continue at the actual midterms. Dems do a great job energizing their base, but not at growing their base in these conservative leaning districts for the most part. Of course, if they choose more conservative leaning Dems as their nominees, they tend to fare better (think Lamb in PA as an example), but prospect of choosing such nominees diminish as many of the Dem base in these districts are far left loons.

Ultimately, and acknowledging that a lot can happen between now and the midterms, I think the Dems are in for another big disappointment (something akin to 2016 general) in November of 2018.

Old 04-27-2018, 05:11 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,371,696 times
I think it's interesting that the OP ignores the fact that Democrats are borrowing money to survive, and still not winning. Winning by 5 percentage points is still winning. It is no sign of a so-called "blue wave" if it doesn't result in winning. There may be a lot of reasons why the percentage doesn't match Trump's margin. I don't think a "blue wave" is one of them. Trump is Trump. His margins are his margins. It doesn't mean every other Republican will achieve the same results. It depends on the individuals in the race.

I will add that, in Pennsylvania, the Democrat had to act more like a Republican in order to win. It remains to be seen what happens when he actually takes his seat. I suspect that the pressure will be for him to conform to the Party's positions ...and there will be a lot of sorry voters.

Old 04-27-2018, 05:46 AM

8,665 posts, read 5,873,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
We most also note that there is a difference between fundraising by the National parties (DNC and RNC) versus the fundraising by the candidates themselves (and of course by Super-Pacs and such).

We have an ongoing thread about the US Senate race here in Texas, and how the Democratic challenger to Senator Ted Cruz (born in Canada, of all places) is raising more money than Mr. Cruz, and all from small individual donations to boot (Mr. O'Rourk will not accept PAC funding, for instance; Senator Cruz will).

Here is a recent article about how many US House Democratic challengers are out-fundraising the Republican incumbents they seek to unseat:

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/...idterms-493823

As for the US Senate, the Democratic incumbents are doing very well also in raising more money:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...op-challengers

"The 10 Democratic incumbents running in the November election from states won by President Donald Trump raised a combined $23.9 million in the first three months of the year, while the Republicans with at least $50,000 in their bank accounts in those states -- 20 in all competing in eight contested primaries -- raised $9.4 million, a Bloomberg analysis of filings this week with the Senate Office of Public Records shows."

Yet, the Republican National Party simply crushes the Democratic National Party in raising money:

https://www.politico.com/magazine/st...-crisis-215474

The above is an older article, but from what I have read the RNC is still getting a lot of money.

Yet, no doubt, the RNC would rather not have to spend money on 'safe seats', such as in Arizona.

Great post! Lack of money sure isn't slowing down the "BLUE WAVE"!

Old 04-27-2018, 09:29 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,371,696 times
Quote:
Senator Ted Cruz (born in Canada, of all places)
Do you have something against Canada? You do realize, don't you, that Senator Ted Cruz is an U.S. citizen by birth, not a Canadian? Canada does recognize "dual citizenship," however Ted Cruz renounced his Canadian citizenship. He was raised in Houston, TX, so he has been a Houstonian for most all of his life. He is a graduate of both Princeton U. and Harvard Law School, so he is no dummy.

I'm not sure where your animus for him stems from, but it seems it may be rooted in nothing more than bigotry.

Old 04-27-2018, 10:01 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,961,667 times
everyone keeps talking about this blue wave thats coming, and it might, we shall see. but in the generic ballot, the gap has closed substantially in the past year, from 15 points down to four points.

and with special elections, voters tend to not turn out as they do with general elections, even mid term elections, so i dont consider special election results to be indicative of what will happen in the general election.

so my advice would be to wait and see how energized republican voters are in november compared to democrat voters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections