Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2018, 11:55 AM

5,276 posts, read 6,207,341 times

Advertisements

This was a case of Trump piling on at the end. But truth be told, Arrington ran as a Trump-always type candidate in opposition to Sanford being deemed a 'never Trumper.'

SC Republicans keep moving further and further right. They have a big enough advantage statewide and Clyburn's district was drawn to make the other 4 of the other districts as R as possible, but at some point this will give an opportunity to Democrats in either the Charleston based seat or the one in the northern part of the state that includes the Charlotte bedroom communities. It will not be this election but within by 2024 I think Rs are going to have to be a little more strategic with their candidate choices.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2018, 04:54 AM

8,840 posts, read 4,802,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
Yeah, the man who brought his mistress on a family vacation called Sanford out on his adultery.
And people bought it.

We truly live in bizarro world.
The hypocrisy is staggering.

Old 06-14-2018, 06:51 AM

37,794 posts, read 40,990,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jas75 View Post
Did Sanford really lose the primary because of Trump's endorsement for his opponent? Or was this more of a case where someone in Trump's trusted circle saw that Sanford was vulnerable, then informed the president this was a great opportunity to pile on for his defeat? Probably a large share of SC-01 primary voters had already cast their ballots before the tweet was written.

This also isn't exactly a case of a conservative rep. replacing a moderate one, since Sanford is a Freedom Caucus member. It looks like the 1st district voted for Trump by a lower margin than the state average and the Democratic nominee has had pretty good fundraising numbers, so the midterm could be interesting.
You may have noticed the President has been busy with other matters than a district election in one state over the past 2 weeks. First time Sanford lost an election. The people are sick of Congress sitting on their hands for the last decade. They have a president, a do-er, who is living up to his campaign promises in a very short time while someone like Mitch McConnell over in the Senate says we voters have "excessive expectations" of the elected people (slackers) on Capitol Hill. They want a supporter of the do-er.

Old 06-14-2018, 07:03 AM

5,938 posts, read 4,696,461 times
Quote:
It looks like the 1st district voted for Trump by a lower margin than the state average.
Where'd you find that information? I can find how SC1 voted for the House, but we can't equate a vote for a House Rep directly to a vote for the President. Well, these days you can... but generally speaking, it doesn't always have to line up. I'm curious how SC1 as a district voted in 2016 for President. I've found county-level data.

Old 06-14-2018, 07:11 AM

3,149 posts, read 2,204,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dspguy View Post
Where'd you find that information? I can find how SC1 voted for the House, but we can't equate a vote for a House Rep directly to a vote for the President. Well, these days you can... but generally speaking, it doesn't always have to line up. I'm curious how SC1 as a district voted in 2016 for President. I've found county-level data.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United...Carolina,_2016

See the "By congressional district" section. The district voted for Trump by 12% while the statewide margin was 14%. The comment in this article "Trump won 6 of 7 congressional districts including a district won by a Democratic representative" is inaccurate - only district 6 voted for Clinton and it is the only one represented by a Democrat. But the table with district level presidential results should be correct.

Old 06-14-2018, 07:41 AM

22,180 posts, read 19,449,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dspguy View Post
https://www.dailykos.com/stories/201...ional-district

Trump won it by 13, down from the 18 point margin Romney would it by. The district is still quite Republican, but more of a country club Romney style district than a Trump.

Old 06-14-2018, 08:44 AM
JRR

8,159 posts, read 5,651,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
You may have noticed the President has been busy with other matters than a district election in one state over the past 2 weeks. First time Sanford lost an election. The people are sick of Congress sitting on their hands for the last decade. They have a president, a do-er, who is living up to his campaign promises in a very short time while someone like Mitch McConnell over in the Senate says we voters have "excessive expectations" of the elected people (slackers) on Capitol Hill. They want a supporter of the do-er.
Yeah, sure, he is quite a do-er. No wasted time on his part zeroing in on things like the football players kneeling or the sing along at the White House. Just nose to the grindstone spending time watching Fox News, tweeting about all kinds of crap and flying down to Mar-a-Lago.

I'm not a fan of either Paul Ryan or Mitch McConnell by any means, but things like the tax bill could have been passed with any Republican in the White House who had the ability to sign his name. They did the heavy lifting on that.

The terms "the people" and "they" might just actually mean his supporters. Cause there are a lot of "the people" out there who do not think that he is doing a good job.

Old 06-15-2018, 10:44 AM

5,938 posts, read 4,696,461 times
Quote:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United...Carolina,_2016

See the "By congressional district" section. The district voted for Trump by 12% while the statewide margin was 14%. The comment in this article "Trump won 6 of 7 congressional districts including a district won by a Democratic representative" is inaccurate - only district 6 voted for Clinton and it is the only one represented by a Democrat. But the table with district level presidential results should be correct.
Ah, I never saw that option before - by congressional district. Thanks!

So, I checked that out. And yeah, Trump won by 12% in the district and Sanford won his seat by 22%. There's definitely an incumbency advantage involved there.

Like someone said earlier, it could be that SC1 is actually in play... but I'm still pessimistic about it. 12% is hard to overcome. But, 2018 is a different year. There's this supposed Blue Wave but we haven't heard much about it since PA-18. And of course, those have all been special elections which don't necessarily correlate to the general. We'll see in about 5 months what happens with SC1.

Old 06-15-2018, 11:08 AM

5,276 posts, read 6,207,341 times
We are R district in an R state but we have more a libertarian lean than much of SC, a lot of transplants and a lot of former military. Sanford could always count on peeling some D votes in a General. Trump could not and Arrington will not. I think Arrington will win but underperform Trump since she does not have the equivalent of an anti-Hillary vote.

Interesting- Trump lost Charleston County in both the primary and general- however the rest of the district gave him enough support to overcome that by a decent margin.

Old 06-15-2018, 11:29 AM

17,400 posts, read 11,967,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
Yeah, the man who brought his mistress on a family vacation called Sanford out on his adultery.
And people bought it.

We truly live in bizarro world.
It wasn't just adultery. Sanford disappeared while in office, lied about where he'd been, then finally admitted he'd been out of the country to hook up with a woman not his wife. If he's willing to do that while serving in office, what wouldn't he do?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections