Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2018, 03:00 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 29 days ago)

29,594 posts, read 16,568,312 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
No, it isn't.

The state senate is majority Republican, one of our two senators is a Republican and my district, while voting for Clinton in 2016, re-elected Mike Coffman (R) that same year.

Colorado is still purple.

As for the current races, I don't think that the Dem candidate for governor is a shoo-in by any stretch of the imagination.

Take or leave the polling, but while he was the favorite in the polls to win the primary, he was also the least electable head-to-head against the eventual R winner come November.
Considered most electable was the guy who came in third(!
)

So, I wouldn't be counting any chickens just yet.
The only thing I do know for sure is that it's going to be a long, ugly campaign season.
What are you basing this on ??????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2018, 03:19 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,721,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
What are you basing this on ??????
A political discussion I saw on one of the local public television stations.

All moot now.

Old 06-28-2018, 09:04 PM

1,718 posts, read 1,056,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
Looking good for Dems in Colorado
I grew up in Colorado.

Glad it is where I am from and not at.

Old 06-28-2018, 09:29 PM

17,349 posts, read 11,305,123 times
Quote:
No, it isn't.

The state senate is majority Republican, one of our two senators is a Republican and my district, while voting for Clinton in 2016, re-elected Mike Coffman (R) that same year.

Colorado is still purple.

As for the current races, I don't think that the Dem candidate for governor is a shoo-in by any stretch of the imagination.

Take or leave the polling, but while he was the favorite in the polls to win the primary, he was also the least electable head-to-head against the eventual R winner come November.
Considered most electable was the guy who came in third(!)

So, I wouldn't be counting any chickens just yet.
The only thing I do know for sure is that it's going to be a long, ugly campaign season.
Well, Colorado is one of the bluest purple states out there. Millions of liberal Californians have moved there looking for lower taxes, low humidity and a pot friendly atmosphere. It's now only a short matter of time before both Senators and governor have a D next to their names.
Of course the rural parts of the state will try to hold on, but it will be pointless.

Old 06-28-2018, 09:31 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,235,015 times
Quote:
A political discussion I saw on one of the local public television stations.

All moot now.
ah, well, I can certainly see why a couple of talking heads means more than 140K more Dem votes in the primary

And no, I am certainly not saying that Polis is guaranteed to win. But it remains a numerical reality that it was a better election night for Dems than for GOPers

Old 06-29-2018, 10:09 PM

900 posts, read 376,221 times
Polis is a gay guy , many people are excited to make him governor just for that simple reason.

Old 06-30-2018, 07:55 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,721,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
ah, well, I can certainly see why a couple of talking heads means more than 140K more Dem votes in the primary

And no, I am certainly not saying that Polis is guaranteed to win. But it remains a numerical reality that it was a better election night for Dems than for GOPers
That talking head was reporting on a poll.

Right now, some poll has Polis up by a good margin over Stapleton.

If that same talking head reported on the results of that poll, would that report be dismissed with the same level of contempt?

I hope that Polis does beat Stapleton.
And I hope that numerical reality is predictive.

But I have concerns since those numbers are the result of a wholly anomalous primary and still represent only a fraction of registered voters.

There are still too many people who don’t vote because the result is presented as a fait accompli.

In this climate, and after 2016, I think it would be a mistake to assume that Polis, or anyone for that matter, is going to cruise to a win.

Old 06-30-2018, 05:17 PM

1,849 posts, read 1,811,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
Colorado is a trap state... Trap because it is a complete waste of GOP money... If the GOP completely ignores them, they could win it when liberals destroy that state...
Amen. Colorado is home to the most white bread and partisan Democrats I've ever seen. Tow the line, no opinions on anything, lots of "There was nothing wrong with HRC because she was a woman!"

Old 06-30-2018, 08:51 PM

17,349 posts, read 11,305,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by N610DL View Post
Amen. Colorado is home to the most white bread and partisan Democrats I've ever seen. Tow the line, no opinions on anything, lots of "There was nothing wrong with HRC because she was a woman!"
That's what I tried to tell everyone. You could go to CA and people are the exact same way. There's no thinking involved whatsoever. All anyone needs is a D after their name and they get the vote. The majority of voters there are like robots.

It's become a mini California along with Washington State because that's where a huge amount of liberal Californians moved to in the last 10-15 years and are still moving to. Colorado is a lost cause.

Old 06-30-2018, 09:31 PM

22,194 posts, read 19,481,704 times
Colorado has become more and more Democratic, though it isn't quite a state the Democrats can just automatically assume they have locked up and take for granted, that hurt Udall in 2014.

While there have been transplants which have played a role in Colorado becoming less Republican, the suburban issue for the GOP is a key factor. The GOP has lost a bit of ground in many suburban areas recently and Colorado really shows that. With Evangelicals in Colorado Springs holding considerable influence with the state GOP, it has turned off suburban Denver Republicans. Take a look at Arapahoe and Jefferson Counties and how it is compared to the nation as a whole

Arapahoe
1996 GOP + 17.39
2000 GOP + 8.41
2004 GOP +1.51
2008 Dem +5.65
2012 Dem +6.05
2016 Dem +12.02

Jefferson
1996 GOP +14.25
2000 GOP +8.63
2004 GOP +2.73
2008 Dem +1.73
2012 Dem +1.10
2016 Dem +4.77

These aren't small counties either, these are large suburban counties that have swung almost 20 and 30 points compared to the national average in 20 years
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections