Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2018, 06:33 AM

5,938 posts, read 4,703,229 times

Advertisements

I always consider motive. What motive is there for Democrats to hide ballots that have votes for the democratic candidate on them? None. Yet, what motive is for Republicans to hide ballots that have votes for a democratic candidate? Plenty.

Sometimes the simplest answer is the right answer. To be fair, I'm not saying shenanigans are going on. Yet, the topic is assuming that something underhanded is going on.

I would like to add that in states where the election commission brings in volunteers to man polling places - in my local area, I always see the thumb on the scale for the "ruling party." In my state, a red state, more times than not, there are volunteers right outside the polling place stumping for their candidate. The Republican volunteers are allowed to stay literally right at the door to the polling station. Yet, the Democratic volunteers stumping for their candidates are shooed away by the election commission volunteers to stand 500 ft from the building.

Oh, and when I went to vote in my state's open primary, I initially said I was going to vote in the Republican primary. I was simply asked to state my name and address. Nothing more. But before I signed the ledger, I said "actually, I'd like to vote in the Democratic primary" and then they asked for my ID. Go figure. Double standards.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2018, 01:40 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,821,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Someone managed to not tabulate over 688 votes-and the Democratic candidate managed to pick up 190 votes. Given the massive disparity in the absentee ballots going to so many Democrats compared to Republicans its entirely possible the Democratic candidate may win. These lost votes certainly help.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...newstopstories

But the fact that they were "found" is going to cause a lot of issues while it gets sorted out.
so u are saying of the 688, 190 went to the democrat candidate, is that what you are saying or are you saying he had a net gain of 190? Either way, it isn't nearly enough to make a difference. and btw they are Democrat candidates, not democratic candidates. there is a difference.

Old 08-10-2018, 01:50 PM

45,452 posts, read 60,666,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dspguy View Post
I always consider motive. What motive is there for Democrats to hide ballots that have votes for the democratic candidate on them? None. Yet, what motive is for Republicans to hide ballots that have votes for a democratic candidate? Plenty.

Sometimes the simplest answer is the right answer. To be fair, I'm not saying shenanigans are going on. Yet, the topic is assuming that something underhanded is going on.

I would like to add that in states where the election commission brings in volunteers to man polling places - in my local area, I always see the thumb on the scale for the "ruling party." In my state, a red state, more times than not, there are volunteers right outside the polling place stumping for their candidate. The Republican volunteers are allowed to stay literally right at the door to the polling station. Yet, the Democratic volunteers stumping for their candidates are shooed away by the election commission volunteers to stand 500 ft from the building.

Oh, and when I went to vote in my state's open primary, I initially said I was going to vote in the Republican primary. I was simply asked to state my name and address. Nothing more. But before I signed the ledger, I said "actually, I'd like to vote in the Democratic primary" and then they asked for my ID. Go figure. Double standards.
What you say is logical but not what often happens. Recently the Democratic candidate is loosely by a very small margin and, viola', "missing" ballots are found that put that candidate very close or ahead.

Franken's Senate race is one example and the Glendening/Sauerbrey race for Maryland Governor in 1998 is another. In that one Sauerbrey is ahead by 200K and Baltimore, which had reported "problems" in voting all day, reports 3 hours after polls had closed and Sauerbrey loses by 5000 votes. The voting machines used were Opti-Scan.

Old 08-10-2018, 05:54 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,551,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
so u are saying of the 688, 190 went to the democrat candidate, is that what you are saying or are you saying he had a net gain of 190? Either way, it isn't nearly enough to make a difference. and btw they are Democrat candidates, not democratic candidates. there is a difference.
No that is not what the poster was saying.

And - it's democratic candidate. Democratic party; democratic candidate.

Old 08-10-2018, 06:10 PM

45,452 posts, read 60,666,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
No that is not what the poster was saying.

And - it's democratic candidate. Democratic party; democratic candidate.
When listing party affiliation it's capitalized as a proper name. Small d democrat or democratic means something other than Democrat or Democratic does. Same with small r republican as opposed to Republican.

Old 08-11-2018, 06:31 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,917,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Doesn't really matter, much. They will still face each other in November. As a Republican, I'd like to win, but I recognize that we can't win them all.

So far, the R's have 101,000 votes and the D's have 99,000 votes.
In 2016 the R's got 251,000 and the D's got 112,000. So it looks like the D's were energized (at least somewhat) and maybe sent enough people to the polls to win. But if 112,000 votes is what you get when your side is 'energized', then you are going to lose in November.

BTW, in 2014 - another off year - the Republicans got 150,000 votes. Dems got 61,000. So 10,000 fewer people voted today (200,000) than voted in 2014 (210,000).
Looks to me like the R's will get something like 150,000 votes. Maybe more.
Looks to me like math doesn't lie
The GOP voters are dropping significantly and the Democrats are growing

I agree special elections often are outliers but the surge in numbers on the Dems side suggest a much stronger presence in November than in any prior election

I just hope those numbers include GOP voters who are sick of Trump and his turning the GOP into the party of racism and white supremacy...which he is doing by leaps and bounds...
Sessions and those in the WH like Miller and Gorka and the ones in ICE they have promoted to carry out their racist agenda are leading with their chins and making no bones about their intention to "make America white"...
Trump is taking the willing, cooperating GOP leadership and membership deeper and deeper into the alt-right landscape...
People --average voters/GOP members--are going to have to stop being passive and thus complicit in helping him and the others intent on sabotaging the "traditional" GOP...

We are still dealing with the aftermath of slavery and ethnic discrimination that began even before Europeans arrived since slavery existed within the original Amerind tribes...

Old 08-11-2018, 06:34 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,917,976 times
Quote:
You would hope that Democratic and Republican candidates and elected representatives would be democratic in their efforts and attitudes--
But doesn't really seem that way...

And the count is not over--until it is the vote count will shift--
Just hope it is done legitimately and accurately--

Old 08-11-2018, 09:24 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,821,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
You would hope that Democratic and Republican candidates and elected representatives would be democratic in their efforts and attitudes--
But doesn't really seem that way...

And the count is not over--until it is the vote count will shift--
Just hope it is done legitimately and accurately--
yes, you would hope that but the fact still remains: we have 2 major parties: the Republicans and the Democrats, not the Republican party and the Democratic party. It is Democrat party.

Old 08-11-2018, 11:01 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,551,448 times
Quote:
yes, you would hope that but the fact still remains: we have 2 major parties: the Republicans and the Democrats, not the Republican party and the Democratic party. It is Democrat party.
Only because right-wingers like the sound of that.

When you switch parties - get back to us.

Old 08-11-2018, 11:07 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,327,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
There is ZERO excuse for something like this happening. None.
You're right, but the Democrats play this game all the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections