Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2018, 03:08 PM

6,061 posts, read 2,030,643 times

Advertisements

I don't like this practice of hanging on to the bitter end when there is clearly no chance of flipping a race. I heard about a week ago that based on the then-current numbers, no election had ever been flipped in history with such a gap. I think it was in the vicinity of 13,000 votes.

I recall in 2000 here that Maria Cantwell defeated incumbent Sen. Slade Gorton by about 2000 votes. There was one automatic recount triggered, which Cantwell again won. Gorton promptly conceded. There a bunch of questionable provisional ballots, and WA elections generally had been having problems.

Gorton could have continued the challenge, but the word on the street was that he did not want to drag the state through that, and didn't want to play the sore loser. That is the right way to do it, IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2018, 03:26 PM

512 posts, read 480,957 times
Florida should be ashamed of itself for electing "monkey it up" DeSantis. This state continues to prove it's a national embarrassment everyday, but given the influx of baby boomers (with archaic views) into the state, it doesn't surprise me one bit that racism is socially acceptable in that rotten state. I know I won't be visiting next summer. Florida doesn't deserve my money! *waits for Republicans to rationalize racism*

Anyway, I wish Rick Scott the best of luck in the Senate!

Old 11-18-2018, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InnovativeAmerican View Post
Florida should be ashamed of itself for electing "monkey it up" DeSantis. This state continues to prove it's a national embarrassment everyday, but given the influx of baby boomers (with archaic views) into the state, it doesn't surprise me one bit that racism is socially acceptable in that rotten state. I know I won't be visiting next summer. Florida doesn't deserve my money! *waits for Republicans to rationalize racism*

Anyway, I wish Rick Scott the best of luck in the Senate!
So you buy into the claim that 'monkey it up' was racist? Was this also racist?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNUBMYt_-vk

Old 11-18-2018, 03:44 PM

512 posts, read 480,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travis t View Post
So you buy into the claim that 'monkey it up' was racist? Was this also racist?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNUBMYt_-vk
More deflecting, something Republicans do best to divert attention away from the prevalence of dog-whistle rhetoric among Republican politicians and institutional racism in our society. You are so uneducated that you don't realize the historically racial connotations to the word "monkey" when referring to black peopel. Persist in your denial. Hatred has costed your corrupt party the House and many governorships and may even end the Trump regime in 2020! Thanks for proving my point, and have a wonderful evening!

Old 11-18-2018, 03:53 PM

34,287 posts, read 17,372,575 times
Quote:
I don't like this practice of hanging on to the bitter end when there is clearly no chance of flipping a race. I heard about a week ago that based on the then-current numbers, no election had ever been flipped in history with such a gap. I think it was in the vicinity of 13,000 votes.
Democrats have been sore losers this decade. GOP candidate would never drag this out, as in the last ten years, the highest Fl change via recount was under 1,300 votes.

Old 11-18-2018, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InnovativeAmerican View Post
More deflecting, something Republicans do best to divert attention away from the prevalence of dog-whistle rhetoric among Republican politicians and institutional racism in our society. You are so uneducated that you don't realize the historically racial connotations to the word "monkey" when referring to black peopel. Persist in your denial. Hatred has costed your corrupt party the House and many governorships and may even end the Trump regime in 2020! Thanks for proving my point, and have a wonderful evening!
1)I'm not Republican.
2)I'm aware of the history of racial connotation, but 'monkey' does not necessarily always having to be racial. In this case there was no indication that it was.
3)you didn't answer the question you quoted. And you accuse ME of deflecting?

Old 11-18-2018, 04:24 PM

22,265 posts, read 19,582,753 times
Quote:

I recall in 2000 here that Maria Cantwell defeated incumbent Sen. Slade Gorton by about 2000 votes. There was one automatic recount triggered, which Cantwell again won. Gorton promptly conceded. There a bunch of questionable provisional ballots, and WA elections generally had been having problems.

Gorton could have continued the challenge, but the word on the street was that he did not want to drag the state through that, and didn't want to play the sore loser. That is the right way to do it, IMO.

FWIW, both conceded as soon as the recounts in their respective races were finished.

Old 11-18-2018, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
FWIW, both conceded as soon as the recounts in their respective races were finished.
Were these automatic recounts, or were they demanded by the candidates? I'm not baiting here, I honestly have not followed FL closely, so I don't know.

Old 11-18-2018, 05:18 PM

22,265 posts, read 19,582,753 times
Quote:
Were these automatic recounts, or were they demanded by the candidates? I'm not baiting here, I honestly have not followed FL closely, so I don't know.
Florida law mandates a machine recount if the margin is less than a 0.5% and a hand recount of ballots showing an overvote or undervote if the margin is less than 0.25% following the machine recount.

Old 11-18-2018, 05:26 PM

14,512 posts, read 14,496,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
They tried to steal it, just like Al Gore, and failed again.

It appears that some people will need to go to prison for what they tried to do here. Not Ben Nelson, but some of the people at the county level, almost for certain.
And, of course, like that garbage pile in the White House you have zero proof of this.

Here are a few factoids, you need to digest:

1. Florida law (Not Nelson) required the machine recount of ballots.
2. Florida law (Not Nelson) required the hand recount of ballots.
3. Nelson conceded the day after the hand count was completed.

You might want to arm yourself with the truth next time you post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections