Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who do you want as the democratic nominee in 2020?
Kamala Harris 2 2.67%
Beto O'Rourke 19 25.33%
Bernie Sanders 8 10.67%
Joe Biden 14 18.67%
Amy Klobuchar 5 6.67%
Cory Booker 1 1.33%
Elizabeth Warren 3 4.00%
Kirsten Gillibrand 0 0%
I'm a Republican and would like to see the results 23 30.67%
Voters: 75. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2018, 11:39 AM

3,221 posts, read 1,742,505 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by serger View Post
Yep. While it is not known at this point if he will run, I understand why the GOP camp is up in arms. Considering he came witin less than 3% in Texas, they really should be very nervous.

I don't know if I'd say "up in arms," at least with respect to the GOP voters on this forum, but I'd say they certainly have a vested interest in being publicly dismissive of Beto's viability. They'd much prefer a less dangerous candidate, like Elizabeth Warren or a HRC repeat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2018, 12:50 PM

25,612 posts, read 17,351,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by serger View Post
Yep. While it is not known at this point if he will run, I understand why the GOP camp is up in arms. Considering he came witin less than 3% in Texas, they really should be very nervous.
O'Rourke spent twice as much as Cruz.
It was foolish. The result was never in question.

Old 12-17-2018, 12:54 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,253,563 times
Way too early to say. I'm not leaning towards anyone specific yet, I'm waiting to see who actually runs and how it all plays out before I start making up my mind. I think there are a number of good possibilities.

I am however leaning against a few people such as Bernie and Biden. Too old (sorry but yes, I think there is a reasonable cut off) and too recycled. I would like to see a new group of candidates. And while I was a huge supporter of Hillary Clinton, I include her in that group (although of course she's younger than both of them and Trump as well). But I haven't seen much to indicate that she's seriously considering another run unlike both Biden and Bernie who have all but declared at this point.

Old 12-17-2018, 01:21 PM

17,716 posts, read 6,967,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
Way too early to say. I'm not leaning towards anyone specific yet, I'm waiting to see who actually runs and how it all plays out before I start making up my mind. I think there are a number of good possibilities.

I am however leaning against a few people such as Bernie and Biden. Too old (sorry but yes, I think there is a reasonable cut off) and too recycled. I would like to see a new group of candidates. And while I was a huge supporter of Hillary Clinton, I include her in that group (although of course she's younger than both of them and Trump as well). But I haven't seen much to indicate that she's seriously considering another run unlike both Biden and Bernie who have all but declared at this point.
I'd put a "Run, Hillary, Run" bumper sticker on my car.

The front bumper.

Old 12-17-2018, 03:15 PM

8,151 posts, read 3,703,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
O'Rourke spent twice as much as Cruz.
It was foolish. The result was never in question.
Yeah, whatever. I bet all Republicans down the ballot that lost would probably not call it foolish but rather unfortunate (for them). Lol.

Old 12-17-2018, 03:42 PM

11,988 posts, read 5,310,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RowingFiend View Post
Beto is George McGovern. All Trump has to do is make a campaign ad out of Beto cheerleading for NFL players who kneel and you're looking at another 49 state blowout win for the Republican.

Despite what you hear from the mainstream media and the DNC (they are the same entity), Americans love their country and are not about to go all in on the ridiculous agenda of the social justice warriors. Were Beto nominated, he'd go all in on that nonsense and would be creamed accordingly, as he should.
That would work if the electorate were the same as in 1972.

Old 12-17-2018, 04:42 PM

14,427 posts, read 14,348,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bureaucat View Post
I don’t see what was smug or condescending about what I said. Trump could win. It’s just that unless his base broadens significantly, his most likely path is similar to 2016, and that was by the skin of his teeth. If there was anything over the edge, it would have been stating flatly that we won’t win a majority. It’s highly unlikely because (1,) he’s never had had majority approval since he was elected and (2.) the only R to win a majority in the pop vote since 1992 was GWB in 2004, so it’s a pretty safe assumption, but it could be taken for arrogance, I suppose.

It’s just my take on the mathematical probability. You’re free to disagree, and only time will tell who is correct.
Which is a totally legitimate point. None of us knows how the primary process will play out and whom the democrats will nominate. I am anything, but smug and condescending about it although I dearly hope Trump is defeated.

For that matter though, we don't know what will be in the Mueller Report and we do know Trump has gotten the maximum possible boost from the economy at this point. His support for handling the economy can only decline from here.

What I think is a fair statement is that Trump is not a popular President. He has never once obtained a 50% approval rating in the averages of polls that are published. He perpetually hovers in the low forties and what makes him different than Obama and even George W. Bush is that both at many times in their presidency were over a 50% approval rating.

The issue is whether the democrats will nominate a real candidate or will try to hand us someone like Warren, Harris, or Booker.

A real candidate will defeat Trump. However, the democrats are good at snatching defeat out of the jaws of victory.

Old 12-18-2018, 06:02 AM

3,221 posts, read 1,742,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
Which is a totally legitimate point. None of us knows how the primary process will play out and whom the democrats will nominate. I am anything, but smug and condescending about it although I dearly hope Trump is defeated.

For that matter though, we don't know what will be in the Mueller Report and we do know Trump has gotten the maximum possible boost from the economy at this point. His support for handling the economy can only decline from here.

What I think is a fair statement is that Trump is not a popular President. He has never once obtained a 50% approval rating in the averages of polls that are published. He perpetually hovers in the low forties and what makes him different than Obama and even George W. Bush is that both at many times in their presidency were over a 50% approval rating.

The issue is whether the democrats will nominate a real candidate or will try to hand us someone like Warren, Harris, or Booker.

A real candidate will defeat Trump. However, the democrats are good at snatching defeat out of the jaws of victory.
What makes Harris a poor candidate, in your opinion?

Old 12-18-2018, 06:07 AM

23,597 posts, read 17,275,145 times
Dems will run michelle Obama late in the season

Old 12-18-2018, 06:37 AM

14,489 posts, read 6,113,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
Dems will run michelle Obama late in the season

I can see Dems begging Michelle to run but I can’t see her agreeing no matter what
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections