Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2019, 07:39 AM

2,561 posts, read 2,180,281 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post
Well niether is Marianne Williamson and she held her own.

In fact I liked her a lot because she wasn't playing the same meritocratic game they were.
She seems like a great motivational speaker, but she brought nothing of substance to a debate about policy issues or how she is a legitimate candidate to win a general election or lead the country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post
Andrew Yang bombed tonight.

And he lied, automation is not a threat to US jobs, offshoring is. But its an innovative way to deflect blame from trade policies and monopoly power.
You're right, he bombed, but I disagree on the reason. He bombed because he's essentially running on one major unique policy of UBI, and the first question to him was the most obvious question he'd get, and he looked like a deer in headlights before answering. He did okay answering it, but he should've been completely ready for it. I've watched several interviews with him this week and he was very good generally in those. I don't think he did great in his other opportunities to speak either, which is disappointing because I thought he could've brought a unique perspective.

Second, offshoring is a threat, but it's hard to deny that automation is a threat. The most populous job in 19 states is truck driver. Once driverless trucks are introduced, there'll be massive job displacement and retraining required. Cashiers are being replaced at fast food restaurants (have been for years). Every time I call an insurance company or something similar I have to go through about 10 different automated selections before talking to a human, and on and on. People will be needed in these roles to an extent, but a significantly fewer amount. The jobs these technologies actually create require far more substantive skill. So he's right, we need to train people for jobs of the future that require more thinking and brain power rather than rote tasks, but millions currently performing rote tasks will be displaced in the process.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2019, 08:27 AM

15,507 posts, read 6,428,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusillirob1983 View Post
She seems like a great motivational speaker, but she brought nothing of substance to a debate about policy issues or how she is a legitimate candidate to win a general election or lead the country.

You're right, he bombed, but I disagree on the reason. He bombed because he's essentially running on one major unique policy of UBI, and the first question to him was the most obvious question he'd get, and he looked like a deer in headlights before answering. He did okay answering it, but he should've been completely ready for it. I've watched several interviews with him this week and he was very good generally in those. I don't think he did great in his other opportunities to speak either, which is disappointing because I thought he could've brought a unique perspective.

Second, offshoring is a threat, but it's hard to deny that automation is a threat. The most populous job in 19 states is truck driver. Once driverless trucks are introduced, there'll be massive job displacement and retraining required. Cashiers are being replaced at fast food restaurants (have been for years). Every time I call an insurance company or something similar I have to go through about 10 different automated selections before talking to a human, and on and on. People will be needed in these roles to an extent, but a significantly fewer amount. The jobs these technologies actually create require far more substantive skill. So he's right, we need to train people for jobs of the future that require more thinking and brain power rather than rote tasks, but millions currently performing rote tasks will be displaced in the process.
Its been talked about for a while, and its a coming threat. Offshoring has happened already and the drug crisis and dissolution of communities happened because of it.

Automation is a red herring, if we have problems right now, they need to be fixed not by answering a problem that has yet to come its course.

And I also disagree with his intention, transitioning jobs to high skill labor will just further depress our culture and make people even more dependent on foriegn labor and corporate capital. Letting this future come true will make it even harder to pass anti-trust laws and break up corporate power since their internal supply chains will be needed to fund American life.

That is just a defeatist attitude towards a world turning more corporate and more 'global'. I want to hear alternatives or at least actions while they can still be taken.

Old 06-28-2019, 09:08 AM

934 posts, read 402,454 times
This is outrageous. And no surprise at the same time. First they tried to ignore him (like that ploy in candidates' pictures where he was missing although having more support than half of them). But to go so far as to mute his mic, no one expected that.

https://thehill.com/homenews/media/4...ocratic-debate

The shills at MSNBC muted Yang's mic for most of the debate.
Well, Twitter is on fire #LetYangSpeak

Stupid shills underestimated the strength of the movement. Again.

Old 06-28-2019, 09:58 AM

4,944 posts, read 2,939,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by switchtoecig View Post
This is outrageous. And no surprise at the same time. First they tried to ignore him (like that ploy in candidates' pictures where he was missing although having more support than half of them). But to go so far as to mute his mic, no one expected that.

#LetYangSpeak is trending on Twitter

Old 06-28-2019, 10:20 AM

2,814 posts, read 2,282,316 times
I expected Yang to do better last night. I never thought he could win the nomination, but I thought he could become a Rand Paul style gadfly candidate who generates sound bites and cultivates a niche following. Hard to see where is campaign goes from here.

Old 06-28-2019, 10:21 AM

1,761 posts, read 2,098,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by borninthesprings View Post
#letyangspeak is trending on twitter
yas!

Old 06-28-2019, 10:47 AM

4,944 posts, read 2,939,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdivola View Post
I expected Yang to do better last night. I never thought he could win the nomination, but I thought he could become a Rand Paul style gadfly candidate who generates sound bites and cultivates a niche following. Hard to see where is campaign goes from here.
Apparently MSNBC cut the mike according to Yang. I agree though he will have more hurdles to overcome hopefully as the field thins out he gets his message out.

Old 06-28-2019, 11:16 AM

934 posts, read 402,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornintheSprings View Post
Apparently MSNBC cut the mike according to Yang. I agree though he will have more hurdles to overcome hopefully as the field thins out he gets his message out.
He seemed nervous to me. But now I've seen what they did to him, I can say he handled the whole bull**** gracefully and patiently. If I were in his shoes yesterday, I'd be jumping out of my skin and all over the stage.

Old 06-28-2019, 11:45 AM

20,160 posts, read 12,755,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by switchtoecig View Post

They played dirty again.

Old 06-28-2019, 11:46 AM

4,488 posts, read 1,642,267 times
MSNBC never turned off his mic, this is just an excuse for doing so poorly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections