Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2020, 01:31 PM

15,507 posts, read 6,427,922 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya Stark View Post
I am a republican and I like Yang. I don't think he will get the nod this time but I think he is a real threat on the left. He kind of has managed to convince me that we are going to have to start some sort of guaranteed basic income soon. Just looking at the want ads makes me think it is absolutely going to have to happen.
Yang has a surprising amount of support from Jeb Bush republicans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2020, 03:43 PM

4,944 posts, read 2,939,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
I have wondered about whether these base goods might catch some inflation and render UBI payments less useful. Rent especially would be up for grabs, other items likely less so.
Actually inflation would not be a serious problem with UBI.

https://medium.com/basic-income/woul...n-fe71d69f15e7

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-polit...n-basic-income

Old 01-14-2020, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
I'm a Conservative, and I believe this is the best Democrat candidate by a wide margin. He's smart, likable, younger than the rest, and has new ideas (even though I dont agree with them all, he makes me want to listen and learn more).

I was impressed by his wife on the View too. Normal people.

I'm buying his book if I cant get it at the Library.

This guy needs to be in tonight debate. Huge mistake by the Dems.

If I had to vote for a Democrat, Yang's my guy. I dont think Florida allows Republicans to vote for Yang in the primary, or I would just to keep him going.

He's the candidate I'd most like to have a beer with.
Yang made the polling thresehold may times but due to tomfoolery by the DNC only certain polls were counted. My conspiracy theory the DNC doesn't want him on the stage and they skewed the polls.

Old 01-14-2020, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADogNamedSam View Post

Edited to add: I'm sure the first step in this program will limit recipients to those earning under $50k or something, when the hard numbers are examined.
Means testing would add unnecessary bureaucracy and would actually increase costs. UBI is not welfare it is a right of citizenship and it is universal. As for your fears about people wasting it sure some would waste it but that's why its called The Freedom Dividend. If someone makes a bad choice one month maybe next month they won't.

Old 01-14-2020, 03:58 PM

20,100 posts, read 9,006,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornintheSprings View Post
retired govt employee, the government already sends me a check for approx 10K a month as a pension. my wife also has a government pension and collects SS as well.

Want to send us another 2K a month?

I say go for it!

Old 01-14-2020, 04:04 PM

7,234 posts, read 4,544,652 times
Quote:
Means testing would add unnecessary bureaucracy and would actually increase costs. UBI is not welfare it is a right of citizenship and it is universal. As for your fears about people wasting it sure some would waste it but that's why its called The Freedom Dividend. If someone makes a bad choice one month maybe next month they won't.
The business community, if they haven't already, should back this asap. Basically imagine the government giving every 1K per month. How much money they would have to spend. How many more customers with guaranteed income would be available. My only concern about it is that it would be a matter of time until corporations thought, why am I paying my employee X when he gets money from the government? Similar to how tipped workers don't get paid good wages.

Old 01-14-2020, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
retired govt employee, the government already sends me a check for approx 10K a month as a pension. my wife also has a government pension and collects SS as well.

Want to send us another 2K a month?

I say go for it!
Yea that's cool UBI is your right as an American and everyone should get it.

Old 01-14-2020, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya Stark View Post
The business community, if they haven't already, should back this asap. Basically imagine the government giving every 1K per month. How much money they would have to spend. How many more customers with guaranteed income would be available. My only concern about it is that it would be a matter of time until corporations thought, why am I paying my employee X when he gets money from the government? Similar to how tipped workers don't get paid good wages.
UBI would serve allow workers to walk away from exploitative work environments without fear of being put on the streets and with Yangs healthcare plan people would no longer be shackled to employers for the healthcare benefits. Fundamentally this would be good for business and we would likely see a massive rise in entrepreneurship and small business a new American renaissance could occur.

Old 01-14-2020, 04:30 PM

20,100 posts, read 9,006,146 times
Quote:
Yea that's cool UBI is your right as an American and everyone should get it.
lol ... I suspect that 2K a month would cost me more than 2K a month. There's hundreds of thousands of people just like me. What's the VAT percentage he's proposing?

Old 01-14-2020, 04:34 PM

7,234 posts, read 4,544,652 times
Quote:
UBI would serve allow workers to walk away from exploitative work environments without fear of being put on the streets and with Yangs healthcare plan people would no longer be shackled to employers for the healthcare benefits. Fundamentally this would be good for business and we would likely see a massive rise in entrepreneurship and small business a new American renaissance could occur.
Well I agree with those but, I do worry that say, my boss will stop giving me raises because he knows I am getting 1 K per month from the government. That seems to be a big flaw. I am not in an abusive workplace but you can see corporations seeing this as a break on wages for them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections