Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2020, 10:49 PM

8,558 posts, read 10,984,238 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulok View Post
I would be happy with a 2nd place in Iowa since historically primary winners in Iowa don't actually win the nomination. Either ways, if the youth poll is anything to go by Yang will shock everyone on Monday
Surely you know young people do not vote.

Bob.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2020, 10:58 AM

15,507 posts, read 6,434,708 times
Quote:
I would be happy with a 2nd place in Iowa since historically primary winners in Iowa don't actually win the nomination. Either ways, if the youth poll is anything to go by Yang will shock everyone on Monday
In the democratic primaries they do.

Clinton, Obama, Kerry, and Gore all won Iowa in their respective years.

The opposite is true for republicans though; Trump, Romney, and McCain all lost Iowa but won their nominations that year.

Old 02-02-2020, 11:43 AM

29,219 posts, read 22,376,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post
In the democratic primaries they do.

Clinton, Obama, Kerry, and Gore all won Iowa in their respective years.

The opposite is true for republicans though; Trump, Romney, and McCain all lost Iowa but won their nominations that year.
That's the big difference between a caucus and a primary. Anyone who's willing to go vote in a Democratic caucus knows they're in for a grueling night full of arguments, voting repeatedly, then waiting and waiting for the vote counts.

Once a person goes through that, they are very committed to go vote in the election. A caucus is the only place and time when anyone has as much opportunity to speak and try to convince others as anyone else.

It puts a lot of skin in the game for them all. The ultimate choice is always hard won.

Old 02-02-2020, 12:37 PM

838 posts, read 565,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
The "stupid" idea is universal basic income and even dumber are it's proponents. They've already conducted studies and test on this in multiple countries and communities and in every single one it failed miserably.
Actually i recommend you look back at those test and see what made them fail to begin with, A 25% VAT along with lack of job opportunities prevented the recipients from progressing. As for Finland's UBI pilot the results don't come out until sometime this year, Japan will also be introducing a UBI pilot and Oakland has had one for over a year now with promising results.

Yang is proposing a 10% VAT with a non-luxury goods exemption.

Old 02-02-2020, 01:35 PM

15,507 posts, read 6,434,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
That's the big difference between a caucus and a primary. Anyone who's willing to go vote in a Democratic caucus knows they're in for a grueling night full of arguments, voting repeatedly, then waiting and waiting for the vote counts.

Once a person goes through that, they are very committed to go vote in the election. A caucus is the only place and time when anyone has as much opportunity to speak and try to convince others as anyone else.

It puts a lot of skin in the game for them all. The ultimate choice is always hard won.
Sure, what I was saying the winner of Iowa tends to win the entire democratic primary race, which goes against what the original post was saying.

Old 02-02-2020, 04:13 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,598,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Bell View Post

"It's unbelievable that after this awesome interview NYT Editorial Board still chose Warren and Amy!"
Quote:
Originally Posted by switchtoecig View Post
Most people after listening to a long-form Yang interview: This is the guy, he should be President!

Fishwrap editorial board after a long-form Yang interview: Nah, let's go with Liz to alarm you in the morning, and Amy to put you to sleep in the evening.
We will soon find out if America is ready to wake up ...

CloseUp: One-on-one with Yang in Iowa

Emotional moment at 2:39 --- thank you Andrew was the response.

Old 02-03-2020, 06:47 AM

459 posts, read 699,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by switchtoecig View Post
No matter how much I'd like you to be right about it, and I really would, I think this is different. Young ppl are much more inclined to follow Yang than older generations. I bet many of these youngsters that participated in this poll have parents and grandparents that are rooting for someone from the geriatric club - Trump, Biden, Bernie or Liz. Or are swayed by the empty eloquence of Buttigieg.

I expect Yang to end up 4th in Iowa - that would be a great result and would propel him further. If he ends 3rd , even better. I don't see him first or second.

ps
Also, don't forget that twitter and other social media where Yang is superstrong are the places where young people participate much more than oldtimers who watch tv, where Yang has been, as we very well know, constantly supressed.

ps2 Again, I will be very happy if it turns out that I am wrong about this
In a vacuum yes I agree with you but the Youth Poll has been able to accurately predict the last 2 cycles. There's more than social media at work here. It's also possible the enthusiasm from these youth voters can transfer to their elders. Parents might get interested because of this. Either way Yang will do extremely well.

Old 02-03-2020, 07:17 AM

459 posts, read 699,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drkness View Post
Actually i recommend you look back at those test and see what made them fail to begin with, A 25% VAT along with lack of job opportunities prevented the recipients from progressing. As for Finland's UBI pilot the results don't come out until sometime this year, Japan will also be introducing a UBI pilot and Oakland has had one for over a year now with promising results.

Yang is proposing a 10% VAT with a non-luxury goods exemption.

I believe Nixon had also tested UBI in Colorado back in the sixties and almost passed it

Old 02-03-2020, 07:43 AM

4,944 posts, read 2,941,945 times
"We reanalyze the data from 7 randomized controlled trials of government-run cash transfer programs in six developing countries throughout the world, and find no systematic evidence that cash transfer programs discourage work."

https://economics.mit.edu/files/12488

Old 02-03-2020, 09:28 AM

934 posts, read 403,158 times
Quote:
In a vacuum yes I agree with you but the Youth Poll has been able to accurately predict the last 2 cycles. There's more than social media at work here. It's also possible the enthusiasm from these youth voters can transfer to their elders. Parents might get interested because of this. Either way Yang will do extremely well.
We have less than 24 hrs to see how this turns out. Anyway, in the meantime, I checked some historical results of Iowa caucuses and found Clinton at 2% - the elections he won in the end, so there's that, too.

I guess it will all also depend on how many of those non-voters, Independents and Republicans that make around 40% of YangGang will appear to caucus for Yang. I see that he motivated those too. Now, let's see how much.

I really hope America will come to its senses and elect Andrew Yang. This will pave the way for people like him everywhere to finally start entering politics.

Let me leave a beautiful quote from Youtube comments here

Quote:
He has not only made history; he is a catalyst for history.

DeAMurphy2004
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections