Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2020, 04:58 PM

4,944 posts, read 2,939,565 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
lol ... I suspect that 2K a month would cost me more than 2K a month. There's hundreds of thousands of people just like me. What's the VAT percentage he's proposing?
You would have spend a lot for the VAT to be a net loss for you. He wants it at 10 percent. He would exempt consumer staples and it would be higher on luxury items like yachts and sports cars. From what I've seen 10 percent is the baseline though.

Last edited by BornintheSprings; 01-14-2020 at 05:08 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2020, 05:00 PM

838 posts, read 565,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
A VAT, more taxes for "top earners" and a "carbon fee" whatever that is.

So, like all these plans , they rely on those that can, to pay for those that can't.
VAT + UBI its a tax tailored only towards luxury goods but with a monthly refund of $1000
which unless you spend an excess of $10k/mo that would consume your $1k dividend.

As for the carbon fee its used to offset the cost of carbon emissions during production, Heck companies like Etsy already have it enacted and many places in California as well.

Old 01-14-2020, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya Stark View Post
Well I agree with those but, I do worry that say, my boss will stop giving me raises because he knows I am getting 1 K per month from the government. That seems to be a big flaw. I am not in an abusive workplace but you can see corporations seeing this as a break on wages for them.
I just googled your question and stumbled across this quora thread for the exact question you have.
Peter Schachte has the first answer and I am inclined to agree check it out.

https://www.quora.com/Is-universal-b...rs-to-pay-less

Old 01-14-2020, 05:08 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,591,221 times
Quote:
lol ... I suspect that 2K a month would cost me more than 2K a month. There's hundreds of thousands of people just like me. What's the VAT percentage he's proposing?
22% custom tailored ... example on things like rockets to Mars, and yachts, excludes diapers and formula.

A Japanese billionaire is running a $9 million basic income experiment via Twitter

"Maezawa’s stated goal is to test the premise of a basic income — the notion that every citizen should get a guaranteed, regular stipend. Normally, the idea is that the government should provide these unconditional stipends. But since most governments aren’t yet eager to institute a basic income, some wealthy individuals are taking matters into their own hands.
<snip>
Whether you like it or not, billionaire philanthropy exists. And if it’s going to keep existing, then we’d probably do well to figure out how rich people’s resources can most effectively tackle our world’s biggest problems."(my bold)

It's only 1K a month ... what would it cost you to loose your job --- ?

Meet Andrew Yang, a 2020 US presidential hopeful running against the robots

"Yang: I’m running for president because I’m convinced that we are in the third inning of the greatest economic transformation in the history of the world. And the third inning has brought us Donald Trump. He’s our president because we automated away 4 million factory jobs in Michigan, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Wisconsin, and the other swing states he needed to win and did win. My friends in Silicon Valley know that we’re about to do the same thing to millions of retail workers, call center workers, fast food workers, truck drivers, and on and on through the economy. So I’m running for president to wake up America to the fact that it’s not immigrants or globalization but this technology that is transforming our way of life. We need to make big, dramatic moves as a society to move forward."(my bold)

Old 01-14-2020, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BornintheSprings View Post
You would have spend a lot for the VAT to be a net loss for you. He wants it at 10 percent. He would exempt consumer staples and it would be higher on luxury items like yachts and sports cars. From what I've seen 10 percent is the baseline though.
I thought it was 22 percent and now I know why I thought that, this:

Does Andrew Yang's "Freedom Dividend" Proposal Add Up?

Many people, including myself, expressed skepticism that a 10 percent value-added tax (VAT) could fund a cash transfer this large. According to his website, however, there is more to the plan than a VAT. He argues that he could fund his Freedom Dividend with a combination of new revenue from a VAT, other taxes, spending cuts, and economic growth.
<snip>
A more realistic plan would require reducing the Freedom Dividend to $750 per month and raising the VAT to 22 percent.

Old 01-14-2020, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Bell View Post
I thought it was 22 percent and now I know why I thought that, this:

Does Andrew Yang's "Freedom Dividend" Proposal Add Up?

Many people, including myself, expressed skepticism that a 10 percent value-added tax (VAT) could fund a cash transfer this large. According to his website, however, there is more to the plan than a VAT. He argues that he could fund his Freedom Dividend with a combination of new revenue from a VAT, other taxes, spending cuts, and economic growth.
<snip>
A more realistic plan would require reducing the Freedom Dividend to $750 per month and raising the VAT to 22 percent.
I remember in many of his speeches Yang said a VAT of 10 percent he said half the European level. You are right there are other mechanisms of funding but the VAT is a primary one.

Old 01-14-2020, 05:25 PM

7,234 posts, read 4,544,652 times
Quote:
I just googled your question and stumbled across this quora thread for the exact question you have.

That answer is not valuable. I am not going to quit my job. It offers tons of more benefits and I have been there 15 years. I am not saying they are going to cut my salary but may not give me raises like they would otherwise... or may reduce pension payments. I am not going to quit my job over that as I am basically stuck there... Millions are in the same boat.

Old 01-14-2020, 05:27 PM

20,100 posts, read 9,008,929 times
how much will the VAT be on a 50K car purchase?

how large will the gas tax increase be that he has proposed? (carbon tax)

Old 01-14-2020, 05:38 PM

838 posts, read 565,169 times
Quote:
how much will the VAT be on a 50K car purchase?

how large will the gas tax increase be that he has proposed? (carbon tax)
On a $50k purchase the VAT would be $5k but wouldn't that encourage dealerships to compete and there are also govt. incentives for most vehicles.

Carbon tax is $40-100 a TON and that would be paid by polluters, Will the cost be passed down to consumers in some form? of course but it isn't anything dramatic hence why you'd be receiving $1k/mo to offset the costs.

Old 01-14-2020, 05:47 PM

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya Stark View Post
That answer is not valuable. I am not going to quit my job. It offers tons of more benefits and I have been there 15 years. I am not saying they are going to cut my salary but may not give me raises like they would otherwise... or may reduce pension payments. I am not going to quit my job over that as I am basically stuck there... Millions are in the same boat.
"Andrew Yang on Overhauling the Economy, Restoring Civility, & the Perils of Automation"

Your employer knowing that you can, will make all the difference. They would more likely give you a raise, in order to keep you there, unless you're not worth your salt, then they won't care regardless.

It's harder to exploit people with money ... than it is, with people without money.

I'm also thinking all those companies out there that have less than desirable ethics, will need to sprout some, because their people can walk out the door and know they won't starve when they do, under the Freedom Dividend.

Cash is king ... that is why the DNC is working so hard to get Yang out of the game. Liken to Ron Paul, end the Fed and wage (fed tax) garnishment ... Ron Paul scared the GOP, to the point that they were calling Ron, crazy uncle larry, doing their media blackouts and they changed their rules at their RNC in 2012, so that to keep the delegates bound, so they couldn't unbind and go with Paul.

Yang has the DNC scared too ... capitalism loves automation, the government will get paid, whether we do or not ... the government does not want to set us free. Not depend on the government ... they like us, just where they have us. Paying our 18 - 22 percent in every month, except for Amazon 0 tax haven --- that dude is free.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections