Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-07-2019, 05:06 AM

88,979 posts, read 44,793,389 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by switchtoecig View Post
This guy has seen it firsthand - massive loss of jobs due to tech advancement at a speed unseen so far. Not just in one or two industries, but across the board. Also the outsourcing.

The economy that's growing is gig economy - no decent job for the working class and the growing number of people outside it, so people have to do more than one job just to make ends meet. Add the accompanying stress for just surviving.
The quality of life has fallen and so has the life expectancy.

When forced into survival mode by lasting economic downfall in their lives, people tend to adopt the scarcity mentality which affects not only body and soul, but iq as well. They become less able to cope with their everyday life and also less able to find a way out. What follows is increased hopelessness, usually followed by any kind of addiction.

Not much of a consolation, I suppose, but other countries have been hit by same or similar trends and consequences, too.

What some people unaffected by these trends don't see is that at some point in the near future, this is
a) either going to affect them directly (if their own job becomes redundant due to tech advancement)
b) affect them indirectly (if more people around them become redundant labor for the same reason)

When I say "around them", I don't just mean family and friends. I mean neighbourhoods, towns, cities. How the sharp economic downfall and fast and massive loss of jobs will affect their own world.

For those whose sole universal solution is "you have to stop whining and take responsibility for yourself and educate yourself":
educating oneself is fine, but can you expect someone with IQ 90-100 to do get an education and do a job requiring iq125 +. Whoever is or was an educator knows well it doesn't work.
And this is exactly what Yang has on his mind when he talks about the loss of jobs already happening and accelerating at a frightening pace.
Given that, how is it beneficial to the US to have tens of millions of no/low-skill undereducated third world illegal aliens, with more and more of them jumping the border every day?

Quote:
What I observed in my country, but via internet in yours too, are two ways in which people react to this tech replacement in industries. It's either
a) defiance (They're gonna take the wheel of my car out of my cold dead hands - one otherwise reasonable American Youtuber on self driving cars. He's not a professional driver, so you can only imagine how truck drivers will react to their own displacement.
b) denial (Some of my friends and family re self driving car. Oh, no, that's not going to happen bcs ...reasons.

Even if you are one of those who can't hear the phrase "universal basic income" without thinking "communist", you should at least listen to what this guy has to say.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2019, 07:11 AM

4,944 posts, read 2,938,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drkness View Post
This is a classic interview, Its right up there with his DNC speech!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frmYjKpH49g
That DNC speech is great its such a shame they keep trying to suppress him

Old 12-07-2019, 05:26 PM

934 posts, read 402,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Given that, how is it beneficial to the US to have tens of millions of no/low-skill undereducated third world illegal aliens, with more and more of them jumping the border every day?
You may want to ask your typical progressive to answer your question. Or you may want to ask Trump supporters the same thing. He was talking about the wall and about e-verify. How is all that going?

I would never support uncontrolled immigration anywhere. I don't think Yang would either. Yes, he is talking about unnecessary scapegoating immigrants in general for what the automation has been doing to the labor market in your country. However, he also has a plan according to which the wait years for legalizing illegal immigrants already in the country is 18 yrs. Besides, he has plans for strengthening the border using technology.

Old 12-07-2019, 08:30 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,590,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Quote:
You may want to ask your typical progressive to answer your question. Or you may want to ask Trump supporters the same thing. He was talking about the wall and about e-verify. How is all that going?

I would never support uncontrolled immigration anywhere. I don't think Yang would either. Yes, he is talking about unnecessary scapegoating immigrants in general for what the automation has been doing to the labor market in your country. However, he also has a plan according to which the wait years for legalizing illegal immigrants already in the country is 18 yrs. Besides, he has plans for strengthening the border using technology.
When I first responded to your post, do you remember me bringing in the Great Depression and the sentiment of that era, that of, if a person was unemployed and living in a Hooverville, they felt themselves to blame for what happened? The stock market crash, the dust bowl (heavy drought), etc all that played into the economic factors that led to people, starving --- none of that enter into the equation; they were not made to feel that way, it was just the way they felt about themselves for the situation they had found themselves in ... they scapegoated the immigrants then too.

It is the same now as it was then ... people (immigrants are people too) are valued as to what they can bring into the economy. Automation, is just another blip, liken to the economic blunders of the 30s ... if you find yourself, unemployed, starving, and living on the streets --- you should have done something different. American people value themselves in what they can bring to the economic table and have since the founding of this country ... (GDP 100 years old, kind of out of date, ~yang~) Human Capitalism, is beyond the scope of many a person's ability to understand.

Andrew Yang: New Economic Measurements of Human Well-Being

Old 12-10-2019, 05:09 PM

934 posts, read 402,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Bell View Post
When I first responded to your post, do you remember me bringing in the Great Depression and the sentiment of that era, that of, if a person was unemployed and living in a Hooverville, they felt themselves to blame for what happened? ..
Yes, I did, but I was going somewhere else with my reply. The poster, InformedConsent, implied that Yang was like other Democrats/Progressives and I wanted to point out he was not. Because, based on his compassionate yet very reasonable approach, he isn't. With Yang, it is not just HumanityFirst. It is also, look, this is the situation we have now, and this is what we can do to make it work for us.

Old 12-10-2019, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Yes, I did, but I was going somewhere else with my reply. The poster, InformedConsent, implied that Yang was like other Democrats/Progressives and I wanted to point out he was not. Because, based on his compassionate yet very reasonable approach, he isn't. With Yang, it is not just HumanityFirst. It is also, look, this is the situation we have now, and this is what we can do to make it work for us.
Okay, yes, no ... Yang does not have an ideology, he's not left, or right ... he is forward.
He has attracted all of those who are though. If elected he would be our first Humanist (human morals & values without theism) President.

2020 hopeful Andrew Yang on why he can beat President Trump

Old 12-10-2019, 10:19 PM

Andrew Yang has qualified for the Dec 19 debate ... no longer is it an all white group.

Andrew Yang OFFICIALLY Qualifies for December Debate

Old 12-11-2019, 12:00 AM

14,673 posts, read 14,633,857 times
I'm glad he qualified for the debate (I'm a supporter) but the racial comment wasn't necessary. Booker and Castro aren't offering any bold or innovative ideas like Yang or Sanders, which is why they're not gaining ground. They're also relative newbies to national politics compared to Biden, Kloubacher, Sanders, Warren. I think they're just jealous they lost out at being the DNC's golden child to Mayor Pete.
Anyway, this might be Andrew's last chance to make a major impression on party voters. Time is running out to have the breakout needed to win one of the two early states and come out on top in some of the Super Tuesday states. I'd really like to vote for him in March when the primary comes around to Ohio, but I also don't want it to be a wasted vote either (which could help give rambling Joe the nomination).

Old 12-11-2019, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
I'm glad he qualified for the debate (I'm a supporter) but the racial comment wasn't necessary. Booker and Castro aren't offering any bold or innovative ideas like Yang or Sanders, which is why they're not gaining ground. They're also relative newbies to national politics compared to Biden, Kloubacher, Sanders, Warren. I think they're just jealous they lost out at being the DNC's golden child to Mayor Pete.
Anyway, this might be Andrew's last chance to make a major impression on party voters. Time is running out to have the breakout needed to win one of the two early states and come out on top in some of the Super Tuesday states. I'd really like to vote for him in March when the primary comes around to Ohio, but I also don't want it to be a wasted vote either (which could help give rambling Joe the nomination).
Quote:
I'm glad he qualified for the debate (I'm a supporter) but the racial comment wasn't necessary.
Funny comment, (I sometimes forget I am not around people who know me) but whatever ... tell these guys that:

Yang Qualifies, Busts Up All-White Debate Stage

It became a thing were as the democrat side of things, there was diversity, until they all dwindled down to those dropping out and to those hanging on in there with a shot. I'm impressed there is still a woman. There is a woman right? I've only been following Yang ... The rest just say the same tired old crap, I've heard all my life.

Old 12-11-2019, 02:10 AM

14,673 posts, read 14,633,857 times
Only white people seem to care about that crap...not surprised that came from NEw York magazine. If they were so concerned about racial diversity in the final field they should’ve been backing Kamela in the polling. Meanwhile black and Latinos are mostly backing Biden and Sanders.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections