Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-14-2019, 02:11 PM

838 posts, read 564,955 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BornintheSprings View Post
I find it interesting that the biggest groups supporting Yang currently are people in the US military and software engineers.
Also quite a lot of truckers & farmers from what i've gathered.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2019, 03:38 PM

4,944 posts, read 2,938,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drkness View Post
Very exciting to hear that

Old 11-14-2019, 07:29 PM

459 posts, read 698,686 times
Quote:
I find it interesting that the biggest groups supporting Yang currently are people in the US military and software engineers.

His "more than a handshake" policy resonates with Vets. They also like his no bull**** politician talk. He's not afraid to answer questions directly.

Old 11-14-2019, 09:08 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,589,592 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulok View Post
His "more than a handshake" policy resonates with Vets. They also like his no bull**** politician talk. He's not afraid to answer questions directly.
How Andrew Yang would improve veterans' services

What would the plan do?

"One of the most significant changes would allow veterans to use skills they learned in the military to get civilian certifications required for certain jobs. For example, a medic in the military would be able to become an EMT upon leaving the service without additional training or licensing. Requiring veterans to obtain a civilian license or go through more training for a job they’ve already been performing in the military “disrespects the work done in the military, and, quite frankly, it’s wasteful,” according to a fact sheet from the campaign. The plan would also seek to boost veterans' employment by creating a mentorship program."

Old 11-15-2019, 09:00 AM

881 posts, read 614,798 times
Quote:
Great thing about Yang is even people like winterfall will get the UBI
Hahaha, I'm not so crazy about that honestly...in a just world, only supporters would see the benefit of their support.

I actually try not to think about the fact that the biggest naysayers will be first in line opting into The Freedom Dividend.

Though I gotta say, I'm also not crazy about the staggered implementation Andrew has stated as his preference...what would be the point of anything less than all-at-once???

I mean, why would anyone need any "studies" if Andrew's so sure of the benefits...and wasn't one of the rebuttals about the Finnish Experiment allegedly failing precisely that it wasn't universal??

But whatever. I'll be happy for a Yang Administration in 2021 not only for The Freedom Dividend but also for how much more intelligent our politics can be for a change.

Old 11-15-2019, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Hmm? Less stress for people thats good. More entrepreneurship and investment in the arts thats good. Greater health and wellness thats good.
Let me ask you as well: what is the point of engaging with an idle sophist like that guy??

For literally anything you say he can twist it askew and go off on yet another tangent. He's demonstrably been arguing in bad faith, totally disregarding evidence from which he can't extrapolate a digression. He's just practicing his typing at this point.

Old 11-15-2019, 09:07 AM

Quote:
As a former 11M, let me tell you that it's true how most people enlist only because of poverty.

The Freedom Dividend will be great at weeding out the purely economic draftees. This will in turn force the military to rely more and more on machines (robots) -- and be a boon to the Military Industrial Complex. Andrew is the ultimate Unity Candidate!

Last edited by HomelessLoser; 11-15-2019 at 09:20 AM.. Reason: Orthography.

Old 11-15-2019, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhallian View Post
I like Yang, but I think he's the #3 choice behind Bernie (#1) and Warren (#2).
That's pretty weird, like saying you like pepperoni but it's third after pineapple and chocolate.

Old 11-15-2019, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Andrew tweeted several months ago that most of his supporters were in the military, technology, teaching, retail, and something else I can't remember -- but not a lot of truckers and farmers AFAIK.

In fact, most truckers -- and this is according to a YouTube clip uploaded by Freedom Fred Ramey The Legend of "TruckersForYang" and Debate Night fame when Andrew cited their friendship live on national television -- are solidly pro-Trump or at least anti-Democrat and, even, really racist.

General trucker resistance to Yang 2020 has been corroborated by Yang Gang outreach efforts during the DC-10 Trucker Protest a few months ago as well as the more recent one at a Trump rally last week or two.

I have noticed, however, that a bit more truckers are open to the reality of self-driving trucks now compared to last year.

Old 11-15-2019, 10:35 AM

15,507 posts, read 6,427,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Bell View Post
The world’s most valuable resource is no longer oil, but data

The data economy demands a new approach to antitrust rules

"A NEW commodity spawns a lucrative, fast-growing industry, prompting antitrust regulators to step in to restrain those who control its flow. A century ago, the resource in question was oil. Now similar concerns are being raised by the giants that deal in data, the oil of the digital era. These titans—Alphabet (Google’s parent company), Amazon, Apple, Facebook and Microsoft—look unstoppable. They are the five most valuable listed firms in the world. Their profits are surging: they collectively racked up over $25bn in net profit in the first quarter of 2017. Amazon captures half of all dollars spent online in America. Google and Facebook accounted for almost all the revenue growth in digital advertising in America last year."

Oil is still here and still very lucrative. Regulation did not hurt it.
Before Internet and Social Media, people's information was sold by the State and Federal government to marketing firms.

That would be 1980ish and prior. There are two ways my name is spelled, one is 'is' the other is 'es' ... (long story how that is) State DL --- 'is' SS --- 'es' ... I'd get offers through snail mail and depending on the spelling of my name, I knew who sold my information. I don't know if they still do that, but I know they use to ...

Point being, the practice even though may have new regulations, is not going away, because of the marketing benefits.
The plan is for you to claim ownership of that which is being sold, so that it can not be done without your knowledge.
Data and oil are very different things. Oil is a commodity that can fuel industrial production and automobiles, plus heating mechanisms. If there was every to be an alternative fuel source that is just as applicable to modern industry, then oil would lose much of its value.

The problem with renewable energies is that they can't be applied to built in automated devices like cars, and new models would have to be produced. In the long term that's possible but its a massive feat. And like I once said, new technologies aren't applied naturally; subsidies and credit extensions are deliberate methods to implement them into a society.

Data is used for marketing; its revenue is reliant on consumption of goods; the difference from oil and gas is that data is derived from consumption habits, not productive needs.

Oil and Gas can promote cars but also factory equipment/tools and trucks and planes. Data isn't derived by how much you consume, but what you consume. Targeted advertisers can't mass produce it and sell it in bulk since each component is individual in nature.

If people don't share their information then the whole pot (mass data algorithms) shrinks. Oil and Gas are more universal and can be applied towards different productive needs that are not unique to the individual.

Even if I'm wrong about this (I don't think I am) it doesn't really matter. If Yang can successful find a way to tap data is a revenue source, that just means the economy is reliant on large concentrated capital that can collect data in mass and find enough liquidity to implement automated labor.

The feedback loop from the funding of UBI has always been my main problem. If Yang can find Data revenue which is sourced in consumer spending, just to promote a UBI policy that increase consumption, all the money is funneled back into the market.

Quote:
Devastate? That's laughable I've worked in the industry, If anything it would give these companies a boost in revenue. By us having rights to our data we can enter agreements between companies allowing them to sell parts of our data that normally cannot be distributed due to privacy laws, Not to mention now these companies would have FULL profiles on us which in a way makes the industry more competitive as the companies hogging up the most personal data in 2019 are Google, FB, Microsoft & Amazon.

Essentially giving regular small businesses the ability to compete amongst monopolies, The consumers get paid and their data is isolated & identified as well as distributed and they will receive some of the gains. Not to mention how beneficial this data will be for the advancement of AI, Autonomous Vehicles etc. i see this as a win/win all around.
Data only makes the platforms attractive, different marketers and producers can tap into that resource. If tougher privacy laws were put in place that means you will see less overall distribution of Data.

If people could keep their information private, that depletes the pool marketers can work from. That's assuming Yang's privacy laws are as direct as he claims.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections