Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-09-2019, 01:16 PM

15,507 posts, read 6,427,175 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Bell View Post
I didn't mean to give to you that impression.
I know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2019, 06:59 PM

881 posts, read 614,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulok View Post
That's just it, not many Caucus in Iowa because it's a lengthy process so it's not going to take much to get 15% and guess what, YangGang are the most fired up IMO. You can't buy passion and that's what Andrew Yang has.

We got him a plane banner fly over LA for 2 hours and made Jeff Bezos/Amazon pay for it. We've raised money by using Robinhood and it cost us nothing. You think getting a bunch of Iowa YangGang to sit and caucus for hours will be hard? I fully expect Iowa YangGang to bring the passion and get others to join them.

Also watching him signing into the ballot for New Hampshire, you can feel the love. This man is authentic AF. He will be the next president.

https://youtu.be/oR5ZcuPS9lY
Yes I too really believe he'll be our next President -- I just don't know what Yang Gang numbers are like in Iowa...Andrew's said that forty to fifty thousand Iowans are needed out of the 150 to 200 thousand expected to participate in February but I don't know what the distribution available in each district is. Also, given the intimate nature of a small-town caucus, it's possible that folks will have to choose to maintain their communal ties and not be a spoiler holding out in the face of massive opposition.

The path seems to be to place Top Four and win New Hampshire and Nevada with a Top Two in South Carolina and taking California and New York on Super Tuesday (I think Drew will sweep the Democrat South and non-Iowa Heartland).

Hopefully Tulsi will kneecap Warren and Bloomberg will drain the blood out of Biden, ButtiG, and Klob!!

Old 11-10-2019, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BornintheSprings View Post
The Yang Gang is coming to Washington!!
You mean the state?

Is Andrew having another Seattle rally??

Old 11-10-2019, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Just curious: why're you spending so much time on an obvious contrarian?

He's clearly one of those folks who just like to appear smart by contradicting whatever is said.

Old 11-10-2019, 07:18 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,590,375 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomelessLoser View Post

He's clearly one of those folks who just like to appear smart by contradicting whatever is said.
I just have this thing about misinformation ... when something that is said, like 'andrew yang believes', it's like really? However, I have to give Winterfall8324 points for being articulate in their responses.

Old 11-10-2019, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomelessLoser View Post

I'm not a contrarian, my opposition to UBI politics has existed long before I knew who Yang was.

I don't like contrarians actually.

Old 11-10-2019, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post
I'm not a contrarian, my opposition to UBI politics has existed long before I knew who Yang was.

I don't like contrarians actually.
Oh hey ... more info on Finland.

Universal income study finds money for nothing won't make us work less

"There was no difference between the two groups in terms of the number of days in employment in 2017 – both groups worked on average 49 days. The UBI trial group only earned €21 less on average than the control group during 2017."

Old 11-10-2019, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Oh hey ... more info on Finland.

Universal income study finds money for nothing won't make us work less

"There was no difference between the two groups in terms of the number of days in employment in 2017 – both groups worked on average 49 days. The UBI trial group only earned €21 less on average than the control group during 2017."
From your link:

"but the essence of the idea is to give everyone a guaranteed income that covers their basic needs, like housing and food".

Housing prices are inflated to the point where a $12,000 UBI won't pay for housing, electricity, and irrigation at a investment heavy area (metropolitan area).

If productive labor is an end goal for capitalism, then UBI won't benefit an independent urban population.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-47169549

The link above isn't saying people work less with UBI, just that it has no real affect on employment numbers.

Old 11-10-2019, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post
From your link:

"but the essence of the idea is to give everyone a guaranteed income that covers their basic needs, like housing and food".

Housing prices are inflated to the point where a $12,000 UBI won't pay for housing, electricity, and irrigation at a investment heavy area (metropolitan area).

If productive labor is an end goal for capitalism, then UBI won't benefit an independent urban population.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-47169549

The link above isn't saying people work less with UBI, just that it has no real affect on employment numbers.
I worked as a VISTA and was paid a stipend of $825.00 a month. (imo, all government from city to WH should just get a stipend like that) I rented an upstairs flat for $350.00 two bedroom, nice ... was eligible for EBT and the case worker put me on utility reimbursement as well. Is 1,000.00 a month due able ... I think so, but not in a heavy metro area where they jack up rent prices. For that one would have to get creative like Yang suggested --- 3 adults buy a fixer upper, was a thought.

Also, I'd be interested in how many new start ups were there. I started a cleaning business on $25.00 worked it for 6 years; almost hit pay dirt --- but that's another story. Point here being ... did people open up doughnut shops and pizza parlors?

I haven't seen a study yet that mentions, new small businesses. There's your production, for small communities circular revenue.

Old 11-10-2019, 10:31 PM

Quote:
I worked as a VISTA and was paid a stipend of $825.00 a month. (imo, all government from city to WH should just get a stipend like that) I rented an upstairs flat for $350.00 two bedroom, nice ... was eligible for EBT and the case worker put me on utility reimbursement as well. Is 1,000.00 a month due able ... I think so, but not in a heavy metro area where they jack up rent prices. For that one would have to get creative like Yang suggested --- 3 adults buy a fixer upper, was a thought.

Also, I'd be interested in how many new start ups were there. I started a cleaning business on $25.00 worked it for 6 years; almost hit pay dirt --- but that's another story. Point here being ... did people open up doughnut shops and pizza parlors?

I haven't seen a study yet that mentions, new small businesses. There's your production, for small communities circular revenue.
Original ideas like living in shipping containers have the same social problems as using food stamps rather than real money.

I don't care about social anxiety as an appearance so I'd be a hypocrite to say that matters to me, but the point being is that structural innovation for the sake of efficiency like that can lead to many unforeseen consequences.

As for rent: https://www.apartmentlist.com/renton...nal-rent-data/

Prices go up, unless you want to pin UBI to inflation, creative housing plans may work anecdotally, but for a society of over 300 million, its not a large scale solution.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections