Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2019, 10:20 PM

7,540 posts, read 11,392,355 times

Advertisements

It will be interesting to hear how these democratic presidential candidates will start to critique and criticize each others progressive proposals. They all seem to be for higher taxes on the rich and medicare-for-all. This is where I think it will get interesting. Because each candidate is going to have to show how unrealistic the other person's progressive proposals are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2019, 12:16 PM

7,473 posts, read 4,030,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
It will be interesting to hear how these democratic presidential candidates will start to critique and criticize each others progressive proposals. They all seem to be for higher taxes on the rich and medicare-for-all. This is where I think it will get interesting. Because each candidate is going to have to show how unrealistic the other person's progressive proposals are.
I really think the liberal press will implode...……...whos side to take and to what degree of lies toward each one??

Old 01-31-2019, 01:48 PM

5,118 posts, read 2,064,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffdoorgunner View Post
I really think the liberal press will implode...……...whos side to take and to what degree of lies toward each one??
And it'll only be the tip of the iceberg. There's one vlog who mentionned they begun tearing each other apart.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CzxsmOF_Bfg

Old 01-31-2019, 03:27 PM

11,987 posts, read 5,315,466 times
Trump’s approvals are so damned low, I don’t think the carnage of the D primaries will do a whole lot to save him. What I’m looking for are significant third party runs that split the anti-Trump vote. That’s the most likely way he survives and wins in 2020, with about 45% or less of the popular vote and close wins in the few competitive states. He got 46% in 2016 and has been below that mark for most of his first two years.

Old 01-31-2019, 04:24 PM

7,473 posts, read 4,030,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bureaucat View Post
Trump’s approvals are so damned low, I don’t think the carnage of the D primaries will do a whole lot to save him. What I’m looking for are significant third party runs that split the anti-Trump vote. That’s the most likely way he survives and wins in 2020, with about 45% or less of the popular vote and close wins in the few competitive states. He got 46% in 2016 and has been below that mark for most of his first two years.
heaven forbid. but I'm looking for a candidate {don't care which party} who is fairly honest middle of the road individual who tries to look at all sides and makes as intelligent decision as possible on issues and is humble enough to know part of that is by asking advice from more knowledgeable advisors.

Is this really too much to expect from a pool of 300 million people?

Old 02-01-2019, 05:51 AM

39,897 posts, read 26,590,299 times
Quote:
I don't completely disagree. But look at the Dems that have announced so far. You have nothing but the far-left loons that have become the face of the party the last few years. Not a one has a clue about economics, about job creation, any executive experience. All are laughing stocks for mainstream, centrist Americans.

Trump as a person is easy to hate-and for good reason. Thing is, a very large portion of the population love his policies and have seen the positive results of his economic policies. They support a president that recognize that it is his JOB to put America (and Americans) first. If we had a press that was even remotely neutral and wasn't in attack mode 24/7 you'd likely see significantly better approval numbers. Impossible to predict 2 years out, but the way things are shaping up the Dem campaign may melt down before it even gets rolling.

Old 02-01-2019, 06:00 AM

52,430 posts, read 26,717,345 times
Quote:
Trump’s approvals are so damned low, I don’t think the carnage of the D primaries will do a whole lot to save him. ......
If it wasn't for the polls, you'd have nothing to talk about. How did those "approvals" work for you in 2016? If you give an honest answer, why do you think they really matter now?

And finally here is this observation. The topic is about the Democrats, and you can't say one thing about them, and instead talk about Trump. And if a Democrat can't be excited about who is running from their party, then they have lost before they even start. There's your real "approval" to be concerned about.

Old 02-01-2019, 08:49 AM

11,987 posts, read 5,315,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
If it wasn't for the polls, you'd have nothing to talk about. How did those "approvals" work for you in 2016? If you give an honest answer, why do you think they really matter now?

And finally here is this observation. The topic is about the Democrats, and you can't say one thing about them, and instead talk about Trump. And if a Democrat can't be excited about who is running from their party, then they have lost before they even start. There's your real "approval" to be concerned about.
Trump could win re-election in 2020, but unless he massively increases his appeal, it will have to be something close to 2016; another win by narrowly winning key states while losing the national popular vote. In the totality of American history, we have never had a President elected and then re-elected while losing the national popular vote both times. There are polls now that have 57% of voters nationally saying they will definitely vote against him. In Wisconsin, which he carried in 2016, 49% of those polled said that they would definitely vote against him while only 24% say they’ll definitely vote for his re-election.

As far as voter excitement is concerned, Trump has energized the Democratic base, as the 7 million vote plurality for the Democrats in the 2018 election indicated.

Here are some of the “known knowns”, as Donald Rumsfeld would say:

1. Every D nominee since 2000 has received at least 48% of the national vote.

2. In that same time, the R nominees have averaged about 46%, with one candidate (Dubya 2004) winning a majority.

3. The election will be won or lost in a handful of competitive states; Arizona, Florida, Iowa, Michigan, Minnesota, New Hampshire, Pennsylvania and Wisconsin.

4. In those states, Trump’s current approval ratings are AZ (-8%), IA (-10%), FL (+3%), MI (-12%), MN (-14%), NH (-8%), PA (-6%), and WI (-12%).
https://morningconsult.com/tracking-trump/

5. In 2020, Trump will no longer be an unknown wild card. He’s not likely get the benefit of the doubt from undecided voters.

6. If Trump can’t increase his base of support, he needs a strong third party to split the anti-Trump vote.

We’ll know a lot more of where we stand as a nation after 2020.

Last edited by Bureaucat; 02-01-2019 at 09:06 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections