Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2019, 10:46 AM

15,507 posts, read 6,427,922 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo58 View Post
It all depends - do you want someone who can out-Trump Trump, but on the left side? Like someone who makes outrageous claims, exaggerations and whips up the party base? Someone who toes the Progressive line to counteract the GOP's conservative line? Then root for Harris or Warren or Castro or Booker.

Or do you want someone who is the adult to Trump's child? Who actually believes in compromise and practical solutions? Then go for Amy. I think the country is getting tired of the crazies on either side.
No, this is massively wrong.

The establishment you fetishize has always been making agreements and working against the will of the people. They are the radicals, that is why Amy has anger management problems and abuses her power, she thinks as a congress woman she is of greater value than other human beings beneath her.

That is what the system teachers, and Booker, Harris, et all are followers of that same system. There is so much bipartisanship that is not talked about, but they are all part of it.

Real left wing politics has never been practiced in this country, but you are taught that we need to move back to the status quo as if we are not already there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2019, 11:24 AM

13,602 posts, read 4,928,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cornsnicker3 View Post
Regardless of how she performs against Trump, Amy needs to get past the primary. I am looking for an answer to the increasingly uphill battle that would be. What is her appeal to minority voters? Is there anything she can even do? It seems like there isn't. Kamala Harris' strategy is to shore up that base. I don't think anyone can come close. Booker might be able to if he can distinguish himself, but I just don't see it. Harris' has, in my mind, a 95% chance of winning the primary unless Biden jumps in (unlikely at this point).
You're right, it will definitely be an uphill battle for Klobuchar to win the nomination. But give the voters a little credit - you don't have to be a minority to win the minority vote. Amy received a 100% rating from the NAACP legislative scorecard. https://votesmart.org/candidate/eval...r#.XGRgdFxKg2x

Old 02-13-2019, 12:57 PM

5,276 posts, read 6,209,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cornsnicker3 View Post
Regardless of how she performs against Trump, Amy needs to get past the primary. I am looking for an answer to the increasingly uphill battle that would be. What is her appeal to minority voters? Is there anything she can even do? It seems like there isn't. Kamala Harris' strategy is to shore up that base. I don't think anyone can come close. Booker might be able to if he can distinguish himself, but I just don't see it. Harris' has, in my mind, a 95% chance of winning the primary unless Biden jumps in (unlikely at this point).
The majority of states do not have sizeable minority populations. Their votes count as much as anyone's. You also have to factor in that minority voters are not going to be automatic votes for a minority candidate. Obama won the Presidency while carrying some of the whitest states in the nation- Iowa, New Hamsphire, Maine, etc. And plenty of white/black/Hispanic candidates have won in districts where they were a minority. If Klobuchar has strong finishes in Iowa and New Hampshire I think she will get consideration from minorities in later states. I think Harris is the only minority candidate who necessarily has a chance to carry their own minority segment at this point. Booker's numbers are too low for him to even be carrying a large share of black voters. And I do not see Castro as an appealing candidate. I think Harris will probably do quite well with Hispanics in part because she understands Western issues and could be attractive to voters in Ca as well as the metro areas of Nevada, NM and Arizona.

At the moment the most powerful politician in my states is the AA House Rep in our minority district- he is #3 in the House. He has said Biden gets mentioned as much as the two black candidates when he is speaking with people in his district. So I do not think AA votes are automatically in the bag for an AA candidate.

Old 02-13-2019, 04:51 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,516,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post
The complaints from her staffers that her attitude is toxic are well founded. We don't need a female prima donna in charge of our country.
We have a male prima donna now and he's a complete ignoramus to boot.

Klobuchar knows what she's doing and she sure as hell knows how government works AND she believes in science.

She'd do a damn sight better job than Trump.

Old 02-13-2019, 04:54 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,516,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post
Just better than trump is not something to aspire to.

Many of these ‘moderate’ Wall Street friendly democrats push policies that are worse for the Midwest.

We need someone with the will to break the financial industry and its grip on our economy
Which Republican is going to vote for that? Because Democrats will HAVE to have Republican buy in to pass any serious legislation.

Old 03-06-2019, 05:36 PM

5,277 posts, read 2,798,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mascoma View Post
Harry Reid Rebuked Amy Klobuchar For Mistreatment Of Staff

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...fe8d674530?zre

Staffers, Documents Show Amy Klobuchar’s Wrath Toward Her Aides

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article...-2020-election
https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/ar...s-rage/584104/

So unfortunately this is what people will talk about the most. I wonder to a degree if I am having a stereotype reaction. IE I am programmed to think women must be nice to get ahead and men can do the same thing and are seen as strong.

In the Atlantic article, they mention Amy tossing a binder at a staffer. Berating and shouting is one thing and tossing is another in my book.

I am not saying she wouldn't make a fantastic POTUS however I do question if these reports would hurt her chances to gain the independents.

Old 03-06-2019, 08:26 PM

33,322 posts, read 12,505,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willamette City View Post
Saw Amy Klobuchar on Rachel Maddow last night. Very impressed with her presentation. She is definitely a center left politician who I am leaning toward for 2020 election. I think she would give Trump a run for his money. And trump making fun of her for her speech in a Minnesota snow storm was classic Trump. I can just imagine what his hair would look like! Suffice to say he would never do that.

You were just responsible for planting an image in my head of Trump walking outside during a NE winter wearing a Russian inspired winter hat.

Old 03-06-2019, 08:29 PM

33,322 posts, read 12,505,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
Trump is too vain to stand outside in the snow with snow falling on his hair. Trump is too vain to be exposed to rain on his hair.

Waiting for his hair stylist to write a book on how he requests hairspray re-dos before each meeting, even if it means the meeting starts late. The TV announcement about the shutdown ending was over 30 minutes late with all cameras waiting on Trump. I bet he refused to go on camera until his hair was ready for the cameras. One can imaging all the drama going on behind the scenes about getting his hair ready. Maybe that's why he doesn't start work until 11AM most days - coif time?
Then why isn't he driven to lose weight ?

Old 03-13-2019, 07:19 PM

8,886 posts, read 4,576,131 times
Tulsi Gabbard. That is all.

Old 03-14-2019, 08:03 AM

10,529 posts, read 6,160,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willamette City View Post
Saw Amy Klobuchar on Rachel Maddow last night. Very impressed with her presentation. She is definitely a center left politician who I am leaning toward for 2020 election. I think she would give Trump a run for his money. And trump making fun of her for her speech in a Minnesota snow storm was classic Trump. I can just imagine what his hair would look like! Suffice to say he would never do that.

I saw that interview too. I was similarly impressed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections