Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2019, 02:50 PM

2,082 posts, read 929,412 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by agorski View Post
No one has mentioned this yet, but Kelly IS a gun owner.
So, that doesn’t prove anything he is a anti gun who gets his PAC money from Bloomberg and Soros and in bed with Schumer and Feinstein guess what they have in common
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2019, 02:52 PM

3,365 posts, read 5,284,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdogmom13 View Post
I did a google search. I found no such evidence (or, "direct relationship" as you call it; i.e., correlation without evidence of causation).
https://www.npr.org/2017/10/05/55558...aws-don-t-work

But I DID find evidence that stricter gun control laws lead to less gun-related deaths:
https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/b...related-deaths
Well that wasn't the original statement is it? The original statement that you were arguing with was: "There is a direct relationship between restrictive gun control laws and increased crime."

That statement seems to be true; for example the homicide rate in the U.S. is drastically lower than the global average and we have the overwhelming majority of the guns. If more guns meant more homicides then you would expect us to be topping the charts but we don't even come close.

Only by narrowing the scope of "crime" down to "gun-related deaths" (which include suicides that make up about 2/3 of all gun deaths) do you have an argument at all, and even then it is actually inaccurate. Maybe if you guys weren't such political hacks and actually looked into the numbers you wouldn't be spouting off party line garbage.

The fact is estimates of defensive gun uses that save likes are 10+ times greater than gun related homicides. That alone has me, a formerly registered Democrat, against the so called "common sense" gun restrictions. Five counties in the US account for over 60% of all homicides; the real problem is a local one not a gun issue.

Old 02-13-2019, 04:27 PM

2,097 posts, read 3,826,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdogmom13 View Post
Oh yeah, "Inside Edition". The ultimate in scientific research.
Maybe this will make you happy!

https://blockclubchicago.org/2019/01...nt-police-say/

https://www.foxnews.com/us/thieves-i...ity-police-say

https://www.seattletimes.com/nation-...nt-in-chicago/

Quote:
Originally Posted by veritased View Post
Good point. Though, for myself, anybody gets shot in the face or is a victim of a shooting is somebody whose opinion I will pay attention to. Including Reagan and anyone else.

Doesn't mean that I have or ever will drop my ARs and AKs in the shredder, but I will have sincere empathy and attention to their experience and ideas. So far my response has been, well, I understand and feel very badly for your loss, but as far as bans go, first you go collect from every gang banger out there, then every criminally insane person, then we can talk about the mass of law abiding citizens.

Agree!

Old 02-13-2019, 04:38 PM

9,185 posts, read 16,727,787 times
Why are you posting links, presumably in an attempt to show that Chicago has serious crime problems? Did anyone suggest otherwise?

Old 02-13-2019, 04:45 PM

15,258 posts, read 13,082,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
Since he started this he hasn't said a word about gun control.

He entered the race ONE DAY ago.

Quote:
If some people are so fixated on their right to carry an assault weapon I guess Mark Kelly won't get their vote. Pretty hopeless people anyway if you ask me.

Nobody asked you. Probably because it's obvious you don't understand much about the issue.

Quote:
Kelly can win by energizing other people who typically don't vote rather than trying to convert hopeless people.

The far right thinks everyone agrees with them. A wake up call is coming.

You don't live in Arizona. A Kelly victory is unlikely to be the slam-dunk you fantasize.

Old 02-13-2019, 04:56 PM

^while there are many simpleminded, one-issue voters, there will be plenty that will value his esteemed military career and his stance on other important issues. There are also plenty that won’t forget the awful campaign that McSally ran.

Old 02-13-2019, 05:31 PM

1,336 posts, read 939,180 times
What was so awful about McSally's campaign, sorry I did not follow in detail as I was busy being overwhelmed by commercials for Navin Grewsom, er Gavin Newsom.

One issue voters != Simpleminded voters, DetroitN8V. Your denigration is, in fact, not even qualifying for simpleminded, as you surely know better.

Old 02-13-2019, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veritased View Post
What was so awful about McSally's campaign, sorry I did not follow in detail as I was busy being overwhelmed by commercials for Navin Grewsom, er Gavin Newsom.

One issue voters != Simpleminded voters, DetroitN8V. Your denigration is, in fact, not even qualifying for simpleminded, as you surely know better.
It was horribly negative, bad even for politicians. She tried to claim that Sinema was in favor of child prostitution among other nonsense. It backfired on her.

I have no idea what you’re trying to say in your second paragraph.

Old 02-13-2019, 08:12 PM

2,082 posts, read 929,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
It was horribly negative, bad even for politicians. She tried to claim that Sinema was in favor of child prostitution among other nonsense. It backfired on her.

I have no idea what you’re trying to say in your second paragraph.

How did it backfire the count was so close the results weren’t know until weeks later also the media failed to acknowledge Sinema liberal past

Old 02-13-2019, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttboy View Post
How did it backfire the count was so close the results weren’t know until weeks later also the media failed to acknowledge Sinema liberal past
That’s some sentence! It backfired because she lost. A republican. The seat formerly held by a Republican was lost. Her campaign blew it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
View detailed profiles of: