Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2019, 06:17 AM

8,300 posts, read 5,780,103 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
As a moderate, Tulsi has nothing several others don't have who are also in the running. If you think she's acceptable, then your would like John Hickenlooper, Steve Bullock, or Mark Bennet just as much.

And those guys have a much firmer grasp on our domestic problems than Tulsi has. She's made foreign affairs her main priority, and while it's important for sure, I tend to think our election will be decided on our domestic, not foreign, issues.

I also seriously doubt the Democrats will be willing to nominate 2 women in a row for the Presidency. While the Democrats are probably willing to support another woman, a second female candidate facing Trump again would make the 2020 outcome much more a replay of 2016 than the party wants to see happen.

That's why I doubt Warren will ever become the nominee, and Warren, not Tulsi, has captured much more of the female voting bloc in the party.
Please explain the bolded.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2019, 08:57 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,866,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
The stock market has been stagnant for the last 17 months. Those of us with 401Ks know that.

Otherwise 100% correct.
Yes you're right about the stock market. It was down about 6% in 2018. I don't blame that on Trump. Yes the trade war did have an adverse effect but investors also dumped stocks because of concerns of an economic slow down, not just here, it's global. There are also fears that the Federal Reserve might be making a mistake by not lowering interest rates. The Fed is an independent entity and Trump has no control over that. While I can't give credit to Trump for a soaring stock market, I can't demonize him for a stock market with less than stellar gains. Computer trading is another factor that might add to the volatility.

I hope you're young enough to recover with your 401k. I never had one choosing rental properties over starting one, and I've actually done better than some of my friends that have one. I also liked the idea of having instant income vs penalties for taking money out of a 401k. It worked out best for us and allowed me to retire at 58. I'll never forget the crash of 2008. We had some money in stock based mutual funds and we lost some money. It did recover and your 401k will recover as well.

Old 06-23-2019, 08:16 PM

29,253 posts, read 22,560,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post
Please explain the bolded.
I already did in the following sentence.

Old 06-24-2019, 03:57 AM

Quote:
I already did in the following sentence.
No, you didn't.

Tulsi Gabbard supoorts Medicare For All and Free College Tuition. Last I checked, those other individuals do not.

So they're nothing alike.

Old 06-24-2019, 10:38 AM

Quote:
No, you didn't.

Tulsi Gabbard supoorts Medicare For All and Free College Tuition. Last I checked, those other individuals do not.

So they're nothing alike.
Oh, yes I did!
Opinions differ, citi. I'll stand by mine, and you can stand by yours.
But don't try to argue about specifics with me and I won't do it with you.

We can disagree, but I don't play Gotcha! games.

Old 06-24-2019, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Oh, yes I did!
Opinions differ, citi. I'll stand by mine, and you can stand by yours.
But don't try to argue about specifics with me and I won't do it with you.

We can disagree, but I don't play Gotcha! games.
I'm not playing gotcha games. I only deal in facts.

Also it's not about opinions differing. You made a false statement about Tulsi and I questioned then corrected you over it.

If you just admit you were wrong about Tulsi Gabbard, or better yet be careful when you say things that aren't true about Tulsi Gabbard, you would have an easier time.

Last edited by citidata18; 06-24-2019 at 12:04 PM..

Old 06-24-2019, 01:08 PM

Quote:
I'm not playing gotcha games. I only deal in facts.

Also it's not about opinions differing. You made a false statement about Tulsi and I questioned then corrected you over it.

If you just admit you were wrong about Tulsi Gabbard, or better yet be careful when you say things that aren't true about Tulsi Gabbard, you would have an easier time.
And you don't always deal only in facts. You do offer your opinions from time to time. Opinions can differ from facts, and facts are always open to interpretation. So care needs to be taken by all sides to avoid pots from meeting kettles.

When it comes to Tulsi Gabbard, I have nothing against her at all. I think she's emphasizing her foreign affairs agenda too much over her domestic agenda, and that's why she isn't getting any traction as a candidate. That's my opinion.

The fact is she's going nowhere in the race.

Why she's going nowhere is my opinion. Feel free to disagree with it. But the fact is still she's going nowhere right now.

Going after me won't change the fact. But if you want to dance instead of discuss Tulsi, I'm your huckleberry.

Old 06-24-2019, 01:14 PM

Quote:
And you don't always deal only in facts. You do offer your opinions from time to time. Opinions can differ from facts, and facts are always open to interpretation.

So care needs to be taken by all sides to avoid pots from meeting kettles.
When I'm wrong about the facts, I always admit that I'm wrong.

In this case, I spoke truth to power to counter the fake news you're spreading about Tulsi Gabbard.

Old 06-26-2019, 09:50 PM

29,639 posts, read 16,681,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Why do I prefer her over the other Dems? She is not as liberal on all issues. I was very impressed with her speech when she announced she was running and impressed she did it standing outside in the freezing Feb weather. Would you like me to go into more detail?
name the issues.

Maybe what you mean to say is that you arent conservatives on all issues.

Quote:
AS for strikes against Iran, yes, Trump is holding back. He rethought the decision and decided human life was more important at this time than striking. Do you really think he wants to get us into war? If you do, you may want to think again.
Trump was fine with striking Syria, we have troops in active combat as advisers in Africa.

My point was simply, Trump is doing what Others would have done, removing that as a point in his favor.

Old 06-27-2019, 06:38 AM

9,921 posts, read 7,798,423 times
It is 3 candidates I vote for Gabbard, Moulton, and Bennett. Will all depend how Bennett does in tonight's debate.

With that said it Rep. Gabbard was one of the 3 left in the Primaries I vote for her. I am not a huge fan of her policy with regards to Medicare for All. I don't know much about the situation so bias with her thoughts in support of pulling troops out of Syria.

As far as making higher education tuition nonexistent due to taxes. Seems more in support of making college affordable and reforming student debt. Saw mentioned supports tax incentives for employers who assist in reimbursing employees for their debt.

Though if Rep. Gabbard did become the nominee would definitely vote for her.

I hope if Rep. Gabbard did win she choose Moulton as her VP. I feel that would be a very strong Democratic ticket!

Last edited by RunD1987; 06-27-2019 at 07:06 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections