Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2019, 07:12 PM

79,908 posts, read 44,369,030 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
Change by "super majority", not by the changing political tides.

Using race as example is divisive, with intent.
They don't have to change the Constitution to change how they instruct their delegates to vote. They can do that the next election if they want to.

You would have to change the Constitution to stop them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2019, 05:07 PM

14,974 posts, read 9,890,989 times
I believe, like many others (I'm not a lawyer) the SCOTUS will answer that with a "no you can't". My cloudy crystal ball told me this.

Old 06-06-2019, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
I believe, like many others (I'm not a lawyer) the SCOTUS will answer that with a "no you can't". My cloudy crystal ball told me this.
While the 538 electors of the Electoral College collectively determine who wins U.S. Presidential and Vice Presidential elections, each state legislature has the ability to determine how its constitutionally-mandated electoral votes (equal to its total Congressional representation) are assigned to specific candidates.

https://electoralvotemap.com/which-s...ectoral-votes/

Old 06-07-2019, 01:21 PM

6,061 posts, read 2,024,122 times
As has been pointed out in a previous thread by a poster smarter than me, the NPVIC would create some very sticky wickets.

Suppose a state (say FL) voted to join the NPVIC and throw their electoral votes to whichever candidate won the popular vote. But then a candidate (say Bernie) wins the popular vote and the R-controlled FL legislature is not happy. Shortly after the Nov. election they vote to rescind their previous vote for NPVIC, throwing their electoral votes back to the R-candidate who won the FL popular vote. This puts the R-candidate over 270, and Bernie under 270.

Is Bernie now president, or not? And is this a good system to adopt?

Old 06-07-2019, 01:24 PM

14,974 posts, read 9,890,989 times
Disguntal dems are challenged to put up electable candidates in the fly over states. Easier to just change the process than the product.

Old 06-07-2019, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by travis t View Post
As has been pointed out in a previous thread by a poster smarter than me, the NPVIC would create some very sticky wickets.

Suppose a state (say FL) voted to join the NPVIC and throw their electoral votes to whichever candidate won the popular vote. But then a candidate (say Bernie) wins the popular vote and the R-controlled FL legislature is not happy. Shortly after the Nov. election they vote to rescind their previous vote for NPVIC, throwing their electoral votes back to the R-candidate who won the FL popular vote. This puts the R-candidate over 270, and Bernie under 270.

Is Bernie now president, or not? And is this a good system to adopt?
Election is over. You can't retroactively change an election.

Old 06-07-2019, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Election is over. You can't retroactively change an election.
Based on what? The Constitution gives the states the right to determine distribution of their electoral votes, right? That's the whole basis of NPVIC. Where does it say it can't be changed retroactively?

Old 06-07-2019, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by travis t View Post
Based on what? The Constitution gives the states the right to determine distribution of their electoral votes, right? That's the whole basis of NPVIC. Where does it say it can't be changed retroactively?
Go ahead. Place your hopes on that.

Old 06-07-2019, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Go ahead. Place your hopes on that.
No 'hopes' involved in any way. I just asked a question, which I see you did not or could not answer.

Old 06-07-2019, 05:07 PM

14,831 posts, read 7,447,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthlyfather View Post
Could it be that the framers set up the EC as part of an elaborate system of checks and balances? Understanding basics of our constitutional republic is simple. Why do you not get {understand} how this country was founded, why as a republic we have thrived, peacefully transferred power 45 times?
Oh look, yet another person who (falsely) thinks the EC is somehow fundamental to what a republic is (hint: it isn't).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections