Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2019, 06:58 AM

7,783 posts, read 6,111,229 times

Advertisements

Will your state lose a representative that will go to a state with a significant number of illegal aliens? Don’t you think this is what is behind the push to keep the citizenship question off of the census forms?

All along conservatives have been stating that the Democrats are for open borders so that they will increase their number of voters. It is more insidious than that, now that we see the real reason. This was set up in the Obama administration. For two hundred years before that, the citizenship question was in the census.

I am beginning to think the smartest crooks around are Democrats in office.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2019, 07:39 AM

3,930 posts, read 2,107,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzincat View Post
Will your state lose a representative that will go to a state with a significant number of illegal aliens? Don’t you think this is what is behind the push to keep the citizenship question off of the census forms?

All along conservatives have been stating that the Democrats are for open borders so that they will increase their number of voters. It is more insidious than that, now that we see the real reason. This was set up in the Obama administration. For two hundred years before that, the citizenship question was in the census.

LMAO. Read the constitution. It says a census should be made to count the population in our country it states nothing about citizenship. Remember southern states got representatives for slaves that counted even-though they weren’t citizens.

The reality is as has been proven by emails that this is a way to get more seats in Republican led states.

Old 07-11-2019, 08:01 AM

22,231 posts, read 19,540,352 times
1. Census is suppose to measure the entire population, not just citizens.

2. Not being a Citizen doesn't = illegal

Old 07-11-2019, 08:11 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,628,094 times
Default Will your state lose a Representative?

Nope

Old 07-11-2019, 08:22 AM

3,006 posts, read 1,504,676 times
My state lost over 100,000 people, while the nation grew by 19 million. I can't blame that on Democrats, since we had a Republican governor for most of those years and a Republican legislature for decades.

Old 07-11-2019, 08:49 AM

29,231 posts, read 22,482,021 times
My state is solid Republican, about 25% hispanic, and if it keeps growing at its present rate, will likely add a Representative soon.
Most of our new migrants are citizens, and a lot are coming who are Anglo, but until the census, no one will know just what the ethnic/social/ citizenship/ whatever breakdown is.

I know that many of our new residents come from India, various Asian countries, Africa, Canada, and from many other states in the U.S. I have no idea how many are citizens, what kind of residency they have, or any of that. Only the census will give that info, I guess.
But I'm pretty sure my state won't ever become one with a solid Democratic majority in my lifetime. The most I expect is it will return to how it once was when I was young, and there was a strong Democratic minority in the Legislature. For most of my life until the 1990s, the folks here preferred a Governor from one party and a Legislature from the other.

Old 07-11-2019, 09:01 AM

52,430 posts, read 26,752,044 times
North Carolina is expected (guaranteed) to gain a representative and electoral vote after 2020.

Old 07-11-2019, 09:08 AM

10,512 posts, read 5,195,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzincat View Post

It's the Republicans who got caught cheating in N Carolina
A Republican, Trump, welcomed and accepted Russian election interference
Republicans won't fund or take Federal action to beef up voting office cyber security
Republicans engage in voter suppression in areas with POC
Republicans do the worst gerrymandering

Old 07-11-2019, 09:54 AM

3,193 posts, read 2,243,150 times
There is some misinformation going around regarding the citizenship question. The last census where citizenship status was asked of all respondents was in 1950. After that date, the question was included in more detailed surveys that were sent to a sample of addresses and not the entire population.

In 2000 and prior years, the detailed "long form" surveys coincided with the decennial census only. During the GW Bush presidency, the American Community Survey was rolled out as a replacement for the "long form", and has continued ever since with citizenship status among its numerous questions. The ACS takes place on a continuous basis for a small rolling sample of households, and was a separate survey from the 2010 census, as it will be from the 2020 count. There was nothing done by the Obama administration to alter the collection of citizenship status data that was already taking place.

I think a scenario where apportionment was allocated based on legal citizenship status wouldn't necessarily benefit red states, but it would help more predominantly red districts to get created in those states. Despite its high visibility for "sanctuary cities", California is not the only state with a significant undocumented population these days - many other states have a better combination of suitable job opportunities and lower living costs.

Old 07-11-2019, 04:40 PM

52,430 posts, read 26,752,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
It's the Republicans who got caught cheating in N Carolina
A Republican, Trump, welcomed and accepted Russian election interference
Republicans won't fund or take Federal action to beef up voting office cyber security
Republicans engage in voter suppression in areas with POC
Republicans do the worst gerrymandering
Incorrect. Nobody has been found guilty of anything. And only one lone person has been charged. A person who also worked for the Democrats.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections