Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2019, 10:50 AM

8,499 posts, read 8,794,511 times

Advertisements

Candidates have 4-6 weeks to gain 2% support on 4 polls from 16 pollsters in state and national polls. Maybe it could / should have been 25 pollsters instead of 16 but 16 is not an especially small number. 2% is a small number. I've never considered a candidate with 2% support significant before in any race. They could be significant later in this particular race, so letting candidates at 1-2% in the debates up to this point was a significant and appropriate gesture of inclusion.

The biggest decision is when to raise the bar to 5%. When do they do it and do they go from 2 to 5% directly or with an intermediate step? Much before Iowa caucus is probably too soon. After NH may be waiting too long. In-between might seem too disruptive and unfair. Would have to think harder on what the right path is. Plenty will criticize any choice. The choice probably should get announced well in advance. I have not heard anything about the next level or levels. Do they raise the bar above 5% to 10% at some point? They probably will but that will face even more criticism than going to 5% or 2%.

Last edited by NW Crow; 08-22-2019 at 10:59 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2019, 10:53 AM

5,462 posts, read 3,036,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mightleavenyc View Post
It's absurd they are rigging the process again.

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/ar...ia_141055.html
Hillary vs Sanders 2.0??

However People who go gaga over Gabbard should ask her visit the West side of Oahu island first. Then she can think about fixing the country.

Old 08-22-2019, 10:56 AM

1,940 posts, read 1,028,995 times
Tulsi is my favorite.

Polls are bogus when they cold call people when most people just ignore their phone if they don't recognize the number. I have been answering hoping to participate in a poll but it the same robo-call.

160k individual donor's no big money she made it this far on a shoestring budget by choice is admirable.

Old 08-22-2019, 11:03 AM

5,069 posts, read 2,279,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpeatie View Post
Thanks for sharing. It would appear the papers posters would prefer have proxy would have if they used one of the approved pollsters. That's also a wide enough swath of sources that if someone where at an adequate level they would be hitting thresholds with enough polls to balance out any misses in others.

Gabbard has adequate name ID, a big moment at one of the debates, and a swath of vocal libertarian proponents- I do not think lack of media attention would impact her if there were any path for her in a D primary. I suspect the problem is she is the preferred Dem nominee for folks who will not vote for a Democrat.

Williamson has been a best selling author for decades and is chummy with the almighty Oprah. Her problem is that her prominence in self-help and spirituality is not being treated as a clear path to the White House by most Dems.

Part of being elected President is figuring out how to command or commandeer media attention. If they are not achieving this in the early stage of a primary I do not see where they would be more successful in a general.
I can't get BOLD to work on my phone, but wanted to highlight the section where you said she's the candidate that people who wouldn't vote D want. That's not quite right. Partly right, but she's a candidate that attracts a second look from people like me who used to vote D but won't vote for a progressive who puts identity politics and ideas like 'abolish the electoral college' and reparations at the forefront of their platform. There are still concerns if have about her, but her call for ending regime-change wars would make me give her serious consideration. The Democrats need to sway people who won't vote D just because.

Old 08-22-2019, 12:10 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,532,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mightleavenyc View Post
It's over a year away.
The third debate is NOT a year away. IF a candidate doesn't have more than 1% support by now - it's time to follow the lead of Eric Swalwell and Gov Inslee and bow out.

No conspiracy.

Jesus. You folks see a conspiracy in every blowing leaf.

Old 08-22-2019, 12:42 PM

5,280 posts, read 6,214,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swilliamsny View Post
I can't get BOLD to work on my phone, but wanted to highlight the section where you said she's the candidate that people who wouldn't vote D want. That's not quite right. Partly right, but she's a candidate that attracts a second look from people like me who used to vote D but won't vote for a progressive who puts identity politics and ideas like 'abolish the electoral college' and reparations at the forefront of their platform. There are still concerns if have about her, but her call for ending regime-change wars would make me give her serious consideration. The Democrats need to sway people who won't vote D just because.
The Democrats would have also won the last election by earning about 200k more progressive votes in the three closest states. There are multiple paths. Including because they meet a party goal (such as gaining libertarian votes) as opposed to level of support would be rigging the debates in itself.

All the candidates are free to camp out in one of the early primary states, spend on TV or internet ads, or focus on a prime constituency. If they chose not to do that-or had no success- that will reflect an electability or campaign weakness that will show up in a general election as well. In my state Harris, Booker, Warren and others have come to specifically make inroads with AA voters. And at this point none have pierced Biden's armour with that particular demographic. I have seen or heard nothing of Williamson or Gabbard and we are one of the four early primary states where support can put you on the debate stage.

Old 08-22-2019, 12:54 PM

23,979 posts, read 15,086,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
The third debate is NOT a year away. IF a candidate doesn't have more than 1% support by now - it's time to follow the lead of Eric Swalwell and Gov Inslee and bow out.

No conspiracy.

Jesus. You folks see a conspiracy in every blowing leaf.

Old 08-26-2019, 12:52 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Tulsi is a possibility but a long shot and no one is holding her down: Marianne is a joke in more ways than one. So tell us just how you think the system is being rigged?

Old 08-26-2019, 02:32 PM

52,431 posts, read 26,636,151 times
I predicted the DNC would quickly move against Gabbard after she went after the old man. Seems that it is happening.

Old 08-26-2019, 02:54 PM

19,806 posts, read 9,367,244 times
It is rigged because of which polls the DNC will allow and which they won't, and most of the mainstream media is in the hands of the Democrats, and they don't want a moderate candidate. Perhaps the following the three-minute video will convince you, but either believe it or not -- that's up to you, of course.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E01nOVw4hpg

And here is another non-Fox News source:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PM-fcDehRM&t=40s

Last edited by katharsis; 08-26-2019 at 03:03 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections