Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-14-2019, 03:25 PM

23,867 posts, read 24,099,797 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bxlover View Post
Well I invite you to take a few weeks off from this board, a few weeks off from all political talk. No Hannity, No Fox, No nothing. I think you will feel better.
You're making a lot of assumptions there. All of them wrong, by the way.

I've been pretty much absent from this site for years. First assumption obliterated. BTW, if you'd simply put a little thought into what you replied to, you could have saved yourself the embarrassment on this point.

I don't have cable, or any TV service. (That means I'm not watching Fox, and I *never* cared for Hannity, even when I had cable). Second assumption obliterated.

And I feel FANTASTIC, by the way. Thanks oh so much for your concern, though.

ETA: Also, if you think there's any difference between Fox and any of the other "news" networks, perhaps you should take some extra time off, yourself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2019, 03:29 PM

4,587 posts, read 2,597,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
You're making a lot of assumptions there. All of them wrong, by the way.

I've been pretty much absent from this site for years. First assumption obliterated. BTW, if you'd simply put a little thought into what you replied to, you could have saved yourself the embarrassment on this point. But internet conversations like this are sad. I won't say anything further to you because I don't want to exacerbate things further. Fighting an other person even on a forum is not worth it. Not fighting over Trump and that is what he has done to the countey.

I don't have cable, or any TV service. (That means I'm not watching Fox, and I *never* cared for Hannity, even when I had cable). Second assumption obliterated.

And I feel FANTASTIC, by the way. Thanks oh so much for your concern, though.
I hope you do feel fantastic. If you did eye rolling would not be necessary nor telling me how fantastic you feel, nor all the above. I am inclined to think your being defensive. And that my initial appraisal is correct to be honest. But PM me. I think in the future we can move past this in a better way.

Old 10-14-2019, 03:31 PM

19,387 posts, read 6,499,560 times
Quote:
Indeed. I have a coworker who voted for Trump I told him it's not going to benefit you. He is a stingy guy, cares only about money. He confessed the new tax law cost him and his wife close to 8k. I think that got his attention. But he can't bring himself to admit he was flimflammed.
That's odd. Hands down, the stingiest people I know are liberals. They are very generous with other people's money, but I've known some millionnaire liberals who are unbelievably cheap with their own money. One couple - both are doctors, so I bet they make over $500,000 a year - actually bragged to me that they never give a penny to charity, and they were proud of it.

Old 10-14-2019, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
He really does live with his parents. His father is an evangelical minister. That poster is also afraid to come out to his parents. Yet he still lives in OK with them. As an adult, he is free to leave and go out on his own. He has been called out many times for his, to put it politely, his skewed views, yet he persists on repeating it over and over.
If he's over 23 or 24, still living at home and afraid to tell his parents he's gay, I hope he's in therapy. Seriously.

Old 10-14-2019, 03:34 PM

52,215 posts, read 52,642,422 times
Quote:
That is what it's all about giving a FU to people you dislike. But why must you dislike people who disagree with you. Not what's good for the country. If you want to discuss an individual policy held my a democratic candidate that is one thing. Valid points of contention exists. But like I have said earlier and your posts underscores, you evidence it above, Trump support comes from a base of anger, resentment, fear and depersonalization of enemies. That is your reason for voting for him and know you can't back out. But the damage to our nation is far worse then anything you mention above because with both parties in balance none of those things you mentioned will be passed. Plus his policies likely have not benefited you at all. Nothing he has promised to come to pass has benefited you if you are honest to yourself.
I was flippant about my FU comment. I'm not really that worked up. Like I posted I don't like the progressive left bent the dems are taking.

That is a logical and perfectly acceptable stance to take. As much as I'm against that far leftist approach, those people feel that way and that is fine for them. I have no dislike for them on a personal level.

That's part of the problem we have now, there's much less "agree to disagree" anymore. Now it's if you don't agree with me you are bad or evil or part of the problem.

Tribalism is going to far these days.

Old 10-14-2019, 03:36 PM

Here's the problem in a nutshell: The radical left has hijacked the Democratic Party, and it's going to cost them the election.

Old 10-14-2019, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
That's odd. Hands down, the stingiest people I know are liberals. They are very generous with other people's money, but I've known some millionnaire liberals who are unbelievably cheap with their own money. One couple - both are doctors, so I bet they make over $500,000 a year - actually bragged to me that they never give a penny to charity, and they were proud of it.
I don't know who has a majority of stingy people. But my coworker is the type who dividers two PLY toilet paper. He is a conservative. I just made the point that all he cares about is money and he lost in the equation. My co-worker once told me he won't go to Church cause he doesn't want to give money. So I am not generalizing about conservatives being cheap. Like you are doing with liberals by your example. I am a liberal and my family are but we have always tithed to Church and despite being humble were always tought to be generous. My parents were poor but adopted me as a baby. So perhaps I am most offended by cheap people. I find cheap people to be repugnant. Maybe you and I share that dislike, lol. I detest a lack of charity. I have known very many charitable liberals, I did an internship in College and helped fund raise and saw liberals and conservatives give cheerfully

Old 10-14-2019, 03:44 PM

52,215 posts, read 52,642,422 times
Quote:
Here's the problem in a nutshell: The radical left has hijacked the Democratic Party, and it's going to cost them the election.
That's what I've been saying for a few months now. Ever since the first dem debates. The country isn't that far left.

Not sure why the dems are leading with this stuff, shouldn't they be responding to what the people want. I'm sure if you asked 10 people randomly on the street if they are ok with decriminalizing illegal board crossing and giving away tax payer funded health care to people here illegally, I can't imagine many people would be ok with that. That is exactly what the dems are pushing policy wise.

How does flooding the country with poor uneducated people make us as a country better, oh yeah, right, cheaper house cleaners.

Old 10-14-2019, 03:46 PM

22,457 posts, read 11,981,552 times
Quote:
On one hand, liberals like yourself consider poorly educated Americans to be equivalent to "deplorables" (you drew that direct correlation), yet you defend poorly educated foreigners streaming in illegally to be worthy of defense and protection, claiming that they are decent people who just want to improve themselves. In summary, here is the liberal position.....

Poorly educated Americans: Deplorables!
Poorly educated illegal aliens: Decent people!

This exemplifies the problem with the leftist party and why Trump will be reflected.
I couldn't rep you again but...this^^^^is spot on!

Old 10-14-2019, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
I was flippant about my FU comment. I'm not really that worked up. Like I posted I don't like the progressive left bent the dems are taking.

That is a logical and perfectly acceptable stance to take. As much as I'm against that far leftist approach, those people feel that way and that is fine for them. I have no dislike for them on a personal level.

That's part of the problem we have now, there's much less "agree to disagree" anymore. Now it's if you don't agree with me you are bad or evil or part of the problem.

Tribalism is going to far these days.
Well spoken. As a Democrat I also want to point out that most of us are centrists. What your watching is primary politics. Once the general election begins it will be a more centrist position. What I want to point out is that from the inception of Trumps campaign he has solicited the support of people by using illegals as a boogeyman. That topics shuts down conversations. That is divide and conquer and has done what, make middle class people vote against their own interests. If you want to disuse particular points about illegals and health insurance well it could be discussed as an overall health policy. But anyway, have a great evening. Hope to speak to you soon,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections