Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2020, 04:10 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,059,937 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATX Wahine View Post
Hell, you need ID to legally buy weed from dispensaries.

I'm nearing the age of 50 and was required to produce ID for a lighter at Kmart... no idea why. Guess it must be store policy. In my 30's I was carded at Best Buy while buying the game Doom3. I believe in that case the pimply faced clerk was on a power trip and hoping I didn't have one so he could deny me the game.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2020, 04:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
Senator Harris has it right. This is America -- there is NO excuse for making people wait for more than 20 minutes to vote.

There was two counties affected by this out of 250 or whatever it is. The polling stations are managed by the counties and given they predominately black counties I doubt they would try and suppress the black vote. Appears to me they are trying to blame their own mistakes and deficiencies on voter suppression.

As side not voter ID can make the voting process much more efficient. The poll worker could have a monitor, scan your ID and they can see if the picture that pops up is you. With facial recognition you can take this even a step further and eliminate the poll worker. Using ID to vote opens many doors.

Old 06-13-2020, 08:34 PM

1,742 posts, read 959,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cg41386 View Post
It’s not patronizing, it’s just a sad fact in some states. It isn’t necessarily that they lack an ID, it’s what some states require that is the issue. Some states have also closed buildings where one could easily acquire a proper ID, making it much more difficult/inconvenient.
What you just said makes no sense. You say "it isn't necessarily that they lack an ID"....so are you saying they have an ID? And if they have an ID, what is the problem? "Some states have also closed buildings where one could easily acquire a proper ID"...???? What buildings? Who is closing them? First you say it isn't necessarily that they don't have ID, then you say, they might not have ID because "someone" is closing buildings.

I stand by my original statement: to imply or believe that minorities lack ID is at the very best patronizing and at the worst racist. Don't you think they are smart enough to obtain an ID? No one can function in this society with out a government issued ID. Can you name one legitimate study that says large numbers of minorities lack ID, or that minorities are somehow discriminated against when it comes to ID?

Old 06-13-2020, 08:41 PM

10,513 posts, read 5,167,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
As side not voter ID can make the voting process much more efficient. The poll worker could have a monitor, scan your ID and they can see if the picture that pops up is you. With facial recognition you can take this even a step further and eliminate the poll worker. Using ID to vote opens many doors.
Sure, I think voter ID is a great idea if it makes it faster for the poll workers and for the voter -- but make it optional. People with ID go thru the express line, people without ID go to another line, where they can cast a provisional ballot.

Every person has the right to vote whether they have ID or not. There is nothing in the Constitution that supports disenfranchising voters because they don't have ID.

Old 06-13-2020, 09:12 PM

9,049 posts, read 3,524,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post

It's not a matter of what I think. It is generally agreed that, yes, ID laws are intended to suppress votes in general, and it works against black people.
So you do believe that. Laughable.

Old 06-13-2020, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
Sure, I think voter ID is a great idea if it makes it faster for the poll workers and for the voter -- but make it optional.

That would not increase efficiency for poll workers because you need to build new system while maintaining the archaic system.

Quote:
people without ID go to another line, where they can cast a provisional ballot.
When you cast a provisional ballot there is something wrong, e.g. you forgot your ID where ID is required. This allows you to vote but you need rectify the situation in given time for it to count.

Quote:
There is nothing in the Constitution that supports disenfranchising voters because they don't have ID.
There is nothing in the Constitution saying I have to fill out ten page application, provide fingerprints, provide 65 forms of ID, wait months for processioning and pay a $450 non refundable fee for a gun permit that is almost always denied. Yet,this is the case in NYC.

While I would call that entirely unreasonable rights are never absolute. There is expectation that with those rights comes some responsibility. I can't yell fire in theater, I can't be pointing my gun at people without reason and I should also know my vote is secure and not infringed upon by fraud. It's not unreasonable to expect you identify yourself when voting. Nearly every nation on the planet does this, to prevent fraud.

Old 06-21-2020, 05:19 PM

9,329 posts, read 4,143,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
The program for the free ID is the voter ID law, every state that has this law will issue the ID for free.

My Grandmother stopped driving in her 50's but kept her license current until she was in her 70's. She switched to non license ID that she paid for every four years until she died near the age of 101. Under the voter ID law here in PA she would of received it free. For her and others that will be mostly low income people paying for a non license ID it is a pure benefit.
If I am understanding you correctly, you're wrong. There are non-driver IDs, but they are not usually free. That varies from state to state.

Old 06-21-2020, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post
If I am understanding you correctly, you're wrong. There are non-driver IDs, but they are not usually free. That varies from state to state.

No I am not wrong. Every state that requires ID to vote will issue the ID for free. The only limitations on that is if you have other acceptable ID or if they are issuing voting only ID it can't be used as regular ID. The voting only ID can have it's own benefits because it doesn't need to comply with federal real ID law, specifically the requirement for birth certificate.

Here in PA before the law was nixed you applied for regular non license ID, there was check box to certify you had no other form of identification to vote and the fee was waived. They were also issuing voting only ID's that did not have the birth certificate requirement but those ID's would only be good for voting. It's a shame our spineless governor seeking reelection decided to not pursue an appeal, the law here in PA could of served as model for the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections