Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2020, 07:16 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 9 days ago)

35,634 posts, read 17,975,706 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
1 Million Plus Sign up For Tickets To Trump's Tulsa Rally - That breaks all previous records for ANY US politician.

WHO says?

The same people who told us Trump had the YUGEST inauguration crowd in history?
I'm kind of wondering if the Trump campaign is having real regrets about planning this, and is trying to force Oklahoma's hand to put the kibosh on this rally for the sake of public health.

Then Trump can say we woulda had a million people, but we weren't allowed to gather.

I give that scenario about a 40% chance of happening.

BTW, there WAS a million people rally involving Trump, but it was the Women's March on Washington AGAINST Trump. So there's that.

Last edited by ClaraC; 06-16-2020 at 07:26 PM..

Old 06-16-2020, 07:17 PM

23,620 posts, read 12,543,921 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
edited to add: I redid the calculator, and put in 250 mile radius - about a 5 hour drive. I still wasn't at 20 million people. You're doing the calculator wrong.
Quote:
You can't get to 20 million even when you calculate people driving 83 MPH the entire 3 hours, and that includes through small towns, of which there are many.

The BIG point here is, there aren't 20 million people in a 3 hour driving radius - there are about 1/4 that number of people, and if there isn't more hotel traffic than a usual weekend, there aren't a million people coming.

Hopefully, for Tulsa's sake.
Using that calculator that WK posted, and 250 miles like you used, I got this...

250-Mile Radius Report for Tulsa, OK Metro Area
This region includes 256 counties: Baxter, AR; Benton, AR; Boone, AR; Carroll, AR; Clark, AR; Cleburne, AR; Conway, AR; Crawford, AR; Faulkner, AR; Franklin, AR; Fulton, AR; Garland, AR; Grant, AR; Hempstead, AR; Hot Spring, AR; Howard, AR... plus 240 more counties

Population in 2019:

Old 06-16-2020, 07:21 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 9 days ago)

Quote:
Originally Posted by berdee View Post
Using that calculator that WK posted, and 250 miles like you used, I got this...

250-Mile Radius Report for Tulsa, OK Metro Area
This region includes 256 counties: Baxter, AR; Benton, AR; Boone, AR; Carroll, AR; Clark, AR; Cleburne, AR; Conway, AR; Crawford, AR; Faulkner, AR; Franklin, AR; Fulton, AR; Garland, AR; Grant, AR; Hempstead, AR; Hot Spring, AR; Howard, AR... plus 240 more counties

Population in 2019:
Right. I think I said exactly that.

You don't cover 250 miles in three hours, Berdee. At all.

Waldo said 20 million people lived within a 3 hour driving radius of Tulsa.

Not true, as you discovered the same way I did.

Old 06-16-2020, 07:25 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,820,712 times
I wonder how many will fall ill to COVID caught at the rally.

Old 06-16-2020, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
I wonder how many will fall ill to COVID caught at the rally.
Then we'll have to suffer a round of accusations that Tulsa piped in the virus to sicken them all.

Old 06-16-2020, 07:28 PM

Quote:
I'm kind of wondering if the Trump campaign is having real regrets about planning this, and is trying to force Oklahoma's hand to put the kibosh on this rally for the sake of public health.

Then Trump can say we woulda had a million people, but we weren't allowed to gather.

I give that scenario about a 40% chance of happening.

BTW, there WAS a million people rally involving Trump, but it was the Women's March on Washington AGAINST Trump. So there's that.
No, that would be a Dem, and one of Stormy's lawyers.

"1 of 2 lawsuits to postpone President Trump’s rally in Tulsa over coronavirus concerns has been denied"
https://kfor.com/news/petition-filed...irus-concerns/

Stormy's lawyer lost. The Dem filed with the Oklahoma Supreme Court this morning, right in the midst of a 'defund the police' protest

Old 06-16-2020, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by berdee View Post
No, that would be a Dem, and one of Stormy's lawyers.

"1 of 2 lawsuits to postpone President Trump’s rally in Tulsa over coronavirus concerns has been denied"
https://kfor.com/news/petition-filed...irus-concerns/

Stormy's lawyer lost. The Dem filed with the Oklahoma Supreme Court this morning, right in the midst of a 'defund the police' protest
I'm just going by the Tulsa World OpEd yesterday.

They're in a tight place. Tulsa is overwhelmingly Republican, but they REALLY don't want this virus in their community more than it already is. They want to keep their citizens safe.

I don't know what I'd do if I were the mayor of Tulsa. What a stuck position.

And I say this with some personal skin in the game - I have a large segment of my family in Tulsa, and they are hold- their-nose Trump voters, and I'm sure they're feeling conflicted. Nobody wants a huge crowd to descend on their city right now, even those who agree with the premise of the gathering.

Old 06-16-2020, 07:35 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,059,937 times
Quote:

You don't cover 250 miles in three hours, Berdee. At all.

You obviously have never driven in car with me. Assuming no congestion and no stops that would be on the low side.

Old 06-16-2020, 07:44 PM

Quote:
I'm just going by the Tulsa World OpEd yesterday.

They're in a tight place. Tulsa is overwhelmingly Republican, but they REALLY don't want this virus in their community more than it already is. They want to keep their citizens safe.

I don't know what I'd do if I were the mayor of Tulsa. What a stuck position.

And I say this with some personal skin in the game - I have a large segment of my family in Tulsa, and they are hold- their-nose Trump voters, and I'm sure they're feeling conflicted. Nobody wants a huge crowd to descend on their city right now, even those who agree with the premise of the gathering.
I'm sure people all over the country didn't want protesters, looters and rioters either, not only because of the property damage, personal physical injuries and deaths it caused, but also because of the virus.

Everyone will be given masks, sanitizers and their temperatures will be taken at the doors.

Old 06-16-2020, 07:50 PM

16,560 posts, read 10,635,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Comes straight from this site. Don't you hate always being wrong about Trump?

Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site

(they really are desperate to somehow believe that Trump doesn't have support)
I have no idea how far someone will drive to attend a Trump rally. You could probably find someone who would drive clear across the country, but that's obviously an outlier. I made the assumption that the catchment area would be a 100 mile radius around Tulsa. This will work out to be about a two-hour drive (at the outer limit), when you factor in getting into the car, leaving your neighborhood, maybe stopping for a snack on the way, entering into the city of Tulsa, finding a place to park, etc. I would think that this would be a reasonable estimate for how far people would be willing to travel.

The population within this area is about 3.3 million, and it includes the Oklahoma City metro as well as Tulsa itself and the edge of the Fayetteville, AR metro. I have no idea what percentage of these folks would be willing to attend a Trump rally, though 1/3 (in order to get to a million) seems a bit high to me. But even if only a mere 1 out of every 100 people in this area decided to attend, it would still be about 33,000 people -- virtually none of whom would need a hotel room. I don't think that the President will have too much trouble filling a 20,000 seat arena.

Last edited by Yac; 06-23-2020 at 07:12 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.