Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2020, 09:02 AM

10,094 posts, read 14,501,662 times

Advertisements

What are your predictions for the Presidential Election 2020 popular vote?

Here are mine--

Donald Trump:

2016 popular vote: 62,984,828

2020 predicted popular vote: 64,550,000

Joe Biden:

2016 Hillary Clinton popular vote: 65,853,514

2020 predicted Joe Biden popular vote: 62,700,000

I think Trump's voter enthusiasm is through the roof, partially due to the Democrat's ANTIFA and BLM destructive riots, and the abolish/defund police proposals.

I think a lot of would-be Democrat voters are turned off this election, and won't vote, in part due to bad candidate in Biden, his worse VP candidate in Harris, and just frustration due to everything going on.

Chime in with predictions and opinion.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2020, 09:14 AM

5,937 posts, read 4,708,174 times
Given the environment we have today (which might change):

Biden: 70,700,000 million votes
Trump: 60,300,000 million votes

That would result in a Biden +8 victory which shortchanges him a little from his current +10.6 on RCP. It also factors in a few more independent/third party voters coming into the fold and voting for either Trump or Biden instead. I based this on data we have available to us now instead of "gut feeling." National polls have accurately predicted the Electoral College winner in 17 of the last 19 elections. Sometimes they are a few points off nationally (I shortchanged Biden in Trump's favor). However, given what information we have today, I think that's a fair prediction.

If polls tighten between now and November 3rd, the margin would shrink.

Old 10-12-2020, 09:19 AM

515 posts, read 254,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post

Here are mine--

Donald Trump:

Joe Biden:

I think Trump's voter enthusiasm is through the roof, partially due to the Democrat's ANTIFA and BLM destructive riots, and the abolish/defund police proposals.

I think a lot of would-be Democrat voters are turned off this election, and won't vote, in part due to bad candidate in Biden, his worse VP candidate in Harris, and just frustration due to everything going on.

with everything that's going on in the world I would be borderline shocked if the Dem's turnout was lower than in 2016. Trump will lose a lot of voters. Biden +8 or +9 and he'll be around the 315-320 range in EVs

Old 10-12-2020, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dspguy View Post
Given the environment we have today (which might change):

Biden: 70,700,000 million votes
Trump: 60,300,000 million votes

That would result in a Biden +8 victory which shortchanges him a little from his current +10.6 on RCP. It also factors in a few more independent/third party voters coming into the fold and voting for either Trump or Biden instead. I based this on data we have available to us now instead of "gut feeling." National polls have accurately predicted the Electoral College winner in 17 of the last 19 elections. Sometimes they are a few points off nationally (I shortchanged Biden in Trump's favor). However, given what information we have today, I think that's a fair prediction.

If polls tighten between now and November 3rd, the margin would shrink.
You think 5 million MORE people are voting for Joe Biden?

If Biden were a sharp, fresh, engaging Democrat candidate, I could see those numbers possibly being ballpark. But Biden is a DC swamp critter, low energy, dementia laced. Not a good candidate.

Law & order are on the minds of voters, and that is going to be a vote for Donald Trump, despite his less than stellar communication style and his own shortcomings.

Old 10-12-2020, 09:27 AM
bu2

24,116 posts, read 14,937,587 times
Quote:

Here are mine--

Donald Trump:

Joe Biden:

Donald Trump 67,500,000
Joe Biden 67,000,000

Increase will be due to increased population and a reduction in the 3rd party vote, not turnout. 3rd parties got over 5% of the vote last time. It will be down below 2%.

Last edited by bu2; 10-12-2020 at 09:37 AM..

Old 10-12-2020, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto Jeff View Post
I don't think there's any doubt that Biden will win the popular vote. The "voter enthusiasm" angle really is not going to affect anything, and Biden is doing better at this point than Hilary did and she won the popular vote last time.
Voter enthusiasm for Biden is low, while Trump's is high--

https://nypost.com/2020/10/10/how-tr...-surprise-win/

66% strongly support Trump, while 46% strongly support Biden:

https://www.pewresearch.org/politics...biden-matchup/

I don't think it looks good for Biden, personally.

Old 10-12-2020, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto Jeff View Post
Because nobody who's voting for Biden honestly -wants- to vote for Biden, but we'll do it anyways to get Trump out of office.
Ehh, I don't think the hate for Trump is as high as many folks think.

The problem Trump mostly has, is that the Democrat and left-owned media hate on him 24/7, and lots of low information Democrats believe it.

COVID was not Trump's fault, nor were the mostly Soros-sponsored and paid and orchestrated BLM and ANTIFA riots.

Law and order will be on most folk's minds this election. I think that is where Democrats lose.

Old 10-12-2020, 10:56 AM

5,937 posts, read 4,708,174 times
Quote:
You think 5 million MORE people are voting for Joe Biden?

If Biden were a sharp, fresh, engaging Democrat candidate, I could see those numbers possibly being ballpark. But Biden is a DC swamp critter, low energy, dementia laced. Not a good candidate.

Law & order are on the minds of voters, and that is going to be a vote for Donald Trump, despite his less than stellar communication style and his own shortcomings.
I think Trump loses voters to Biden. And I think more Americans turn out to vote. In 2008, 69M Americans voted to oust Republican leadership from our country after 8 years of a hot mess where Bush was mainly saved in 2004 by high patriotism after 9/11 and some lingering patriotism for his wars. It seems that we are leaning in that sort of direction once more.

Thinking that there'd be 1 million more voters for a Democrat after the last four years where anyone outside of the echo chamber that is CD P&OC and Fox News would likely realize Trump did not live up to his expectations... Our population has increased by 10% over the last 12 years. Thinking that Biden could gather just 1.5% of that increase doesn't seem like that big of a stretch.

And the dementia line of attack is dead. Biden showed he is more than capable of handling Trump. That gambit seems to have backfired on Trump.

Old 10-12-2020, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dspguy View Post
I think Trump loses voters to Biden. And I think more Americans turn out to vote. In 2008, 69M Americans voted to oust Republican leadership from our country after 8 years of a hot mess where Bush was mainly saved in 2004 by high patriotism after 9/11 and some lingering patriotism for his wars. It seems that we are leaning in that sort of direction once more.

Thinking that there'd be 1 million more voters for a Democrat after the last four years where anyone outside of the echo chamber that is CD P&OC and Fox News would likely realize Trump did not live up to his expectations... Our population has increased by 10% over the last 12 years. Thinking that Biden could gather just 1.5% of that increase doesn't seem like that big of a stretch.

And the dementia line of attack is dead. Biden showed he is more than capable of handling Trump. That gambit seems to have backfired on Trump.
Ehh, maybe, but I don't think so.

I think Democrats have a lighter turn out this year. Don't forget, Biden is a terrible candidate.

Dementia line is dead? I disagree--Biden has plenty of early dementia signs--it doesn't just disappear because of the debate. Biden has early dementia for sure, and should not be running for President.

Folks don't like Biden, and don't like Harris either.

Biden will get the coast vote (east/west) and Illinois. I think he'll struggle to hit 220 EVs.

Old 10-12-2020, 11:29 AM

5,207 posts, read 4,681,781 times
Quote:

Here are mine--

Donald Trump:

Joe Biden:

If Trump enthusiasm is through the roof because of the pandemic, 200,000+ American deaths and massive unemployment, think of the what the Republicans will have to do in 2024 to drum up the same level of enthusiasm. Maybe start an unwinnable war, reinstate the draft, pollute the environment faster? This year is a banner year in terms of American ineptitude. How will you top it in 4 years?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections