Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2021, 10:19 AM

20,873 posts, read 9,550,882 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMS02760 View Post
More votes have been reported. The results now show that Ossoff is ahead by just under 37,000 votes. Margin stands at .08%. Not certain how many more votes still outstanding. The military and overseas citizens ballots are likely still out there. I had seen a report that some 14,000 may have been requested by these groups but the expectation is that far less would actually be returned by the necessary due date. I would think the number of remaining ballots not yet counted is small and Perdue's share is probably not enough to get the margin within .05 that is required for a candidate to request a recount. Given the state just did several recounts and an audit of the presidential election with basically the same process two months ago and found little variance, it would seem safe to assume the Ossoff win by over 0.05% will stand.
I think you meant 0.8% and 0.5%.

Specifically, Ossoff's lead is now up to 0.82%:
https://results.decisiondeskhq.com/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2021, 10:36 AM

8,505 posts, read 4,567,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
I think you meant 0.8% and 0.5%.

Specifically, Ossoff's lead is now up to 0.82%:
https://results.decisiondeskhq.com/

You are correct. My error has been fixed.

Old 01-07-2021, 10:41 AM

3,930 posts, read 2,099,627 times
Georgia has elected TWO Democratic Senators and given Democrats control of the Senate. This could not have happened without Trump. So thanks to him you have made 2021 a better year for all of us Liberals

Old 01-07-2021, 12:18 PM

7,190 posts, read 6,831,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
Trump only supported it as a temper tantrum aimed at Mitch.
True. I didn't say that he did not have an ulterior motive.

Old 01-07-2021, 12:25 PM

7,190 posts, read 6,831,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mascoma View Post
He won't have to convince Manchin. The demoncrats are the party of oppression now. No way Manchin will stay with them.
Except Manchin has already said that he's not switching parties. Plus, he's fixing to be the most powerful senator. He (and undoubtedly WV) benefits by him staying where he is.

Old 01-09-2021, 02:44 PM

1,839 posts, read 678,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LM117 View Post
Except Manchin has already said that he's not switching parties. Plus, he's fixing to be the most powerful senator. He (and undoubtedly WV) benefits by him staying where he is.
Perhaps for these two years as a Senator, he will be influential, but he has also stated that he might want to run for governor in his state in 2022. But I agree, he won't be switching to become a Republican Senator right now.

Also by 2022, I believe if Dems have good candidates, they can pick up seats in Wisconsin, Pennsylvania and North Carolina, and maybe others, making his role or vote slightly less influential.

Old 01-09-2021, 06:00 PM

2,531 posts, read 1,866,746 times
Georgia is only "blue" cuz of adlanna. But hopefully with the senate mostly blue, we might could an opportunity for universal healthcare and legalizing pot. Negative effects will be giving illegals amnesty and trying to fix so called "systemic racism".

Old 01-09-2021, 09:03 PM

5,938 posts, read 4,701,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bureaucat View Post
As awful as Trump is, Republican Governors added to their party’s problems by appointing lightweights like Loeffler and McSally to the Senate.
Appointing the loser of the Senate race (McSally 2018) seemed very shortsighted. The voters rejected her once. It really seemed like a bad idea to appoint her to that seat when she would presumably run as the incumbent in 2020.

But whatever - four decades-long Republican-held Senate seats in 2 years? Yes, please.

Old 01-11-2021, 11:29 AM

5,280 posts, read 6,217,453 times
For craps and giggles I pulled current totals up over lunch- Ossoff is at a 1% lead. I cannot imagine more than a handful of contested or provisional votes are left to sort our so that is probably the final resting point. This assumes the processed the military & foreign votes on Friday.

With that said- it looks like turnout was about 90% of the general election level which strikes me as a strong showing. Perdue went from 49.7 to 49.5 and Ossoff increased from 47.9 to 50.5. A quick glance at a couple of articles might point to the reason- AA turnout supposedly went from 28 to 31. This was probably not so much an increase in black voters as much as more white voters stayed home. But it is huge in terms of breaking the trend of Dems underperforming in runoffs.

If the new Dem base number is 48- Biden went 49, Abrams 48 in '18, Ossof 47.9 in November- and Dems can start catching 2 point bounces in runoff elections, Georgia is officially a purple state.

Old 01-11-2021, 12:30 PM

5,581 posts, read 2,310,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpeatie View Post
... Georgia is officially a purple state.
Not so soon. The Republican controlled Georgia elections board and legislature is pushing to make huge changes to Mail-in Voting in Georgia, since they realize Democrats use mail-in voting at a higher rate than Republicans. Their goal is to reduce Dem turnout.

Changes proposed in Georgia for 2021 and forward:

1) Move from no excuse mail-in voting to mandating an excuse.
2) Move from signature verification for mail-in votes to mandating a copy of drivers license (or comparable) to be mailed in with the mail-in vote. This means voters need access to a copy machine in order to cast their mail-in vote.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections