Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2008, 07:37 PM

12,642 posts, read 15,616,189 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fopt65 View Post
The Democrats, led by Nancy Pelosi, have been the party that has continually blocked drilling in ANWR. THey have also prevented drilling in the Gulf of Mexico. All this contibutes to our need to import more and more oil, and helps to drive up the price.
Here's a novel idea - Demand the automakers give us more fuel efficient cars so we can Lower the price of fuel, you know less demand......

Old 05-07-2008, 07:43 PM

7,965 posts, read 9,180,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walidm View Post
Here's a novel idea - Demand the automakers give us more fuel efficient cars so we can Lower the price of fuel, you know less demand......
I believe they already have raised the required fuel standards, and the car makers are complaining that they are too high.
But more importantly,how does that change the enormous appetite for oil that China and India have? They are both starting to have propsperous middle classes developing. They want cars. Not econo boxes, but big American gas guzzling cars. Coupled with the huge population, that is where most of the demand is coming from. Demand that is outside of our control, yet directly affects the price we pay.

Old 05-07-2008, 07:50 PM

Quote:
I believe they already have raised the required fuel standards, and the car makers are complaining that they are too high.
But more importantly,how does that change the enormous appetite for oil that China and India have? They are both starting to have propsperous middle classes developing. They want cars. Not econo boxes, but big American gas guzzling cars. Coupled with the huge population, that is where most of the demand is coming from. Demand that is outside of our control, yet directly affects the price we pay.
It has been proven countless times that people will buy the best product for the lowest price. If we demand vehicles that were way more efficient, the automakers would supply them, or lose business to the one who will.

Think Honda/Toyota didn't pay attention to this philosophy? Consumers demanded a small vehicle that had above average reliability. They built it and took over.

Demand a car that gets 60mpg. Not just any car, 60% of new production. When Consumer Reports was asked recently about mpg. the response was the consumer must demand it from the automakers.

Old 05-07-2008, 07:52 PM

I can't argue with you that our cars need to become more efficient. I'm just saying that doing that in and of itself really won't make that drastic decrease in demand for oil if other countires are increasing their demand. We have to look at this globally.

Old 05-07-2008, 07:53 PM

5,012 posts, read 7,879,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walidm View Post
as long as it isn't mandated by the government, I'm all for increased fuel efficiency

free markets regulate themselves. if people want gas efficient cars, they are going to start buying them. increased demand of fuel efficient cars will be met with an increased supply in fuel efficient vehicles.

Old 05-07-2008, 08:04 PM

728 posts, read 1,678,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexianPatriot View Post
as long as it isn't mandated by the government, I'm all for increased fuel efficiency

free markets regulate themselves. if people want gas efficient cars, they are going to start buying them. increased demand of fuel efficient cars will be met with an increased supply in fuel efficient vehicles.
I have a feeling that the demand is about ready to explode this summer. We are looking at easily gas prices going between 4-5 dollars/gallon. We are one major middle-east crisis away from gas prices soaring to near 7-9 dollars per gallon. Wussy cars are not, I will drive a Prius anytime. At this point I can appreciate 40 miles to the gallon as opposed to our gas guzzling Trailblazer. I could care less what the car says about my masculinity..it's a car after all...

Old 05-07-2008, 08:04 PM

Quote:
I can't argue with you that our cars need to become more efficient. I'm just saying that doing that in and of itself really won't make that drastic decrease in demand for oil if other countires are increasing their demand. We have to look at this globally.

Look at it from this point of view...if the cost of gas is what it is today but I give a vehicle that gets 1,000mpg, would you be concerned with the cost of gas?

No. Because efficiency has lowered the cost of fuel and provided you with excess capital to spend elsewhere.

If other Countries didn't follow suit in the purchase of vehicles - 1st. you sell them all of your old vehicles as well as gas, and eventually when they demand the same standard, you sell them vehicles that meet 1,000mpg efficiency. We could make a mint replacing all of our current vehicles from the raw materials involved in scrapping our current vehicles for more efficient ones.

Old 05-07-2008, 08:13 PM

Hey, I'm all for it! I saw somewhere that Lotus is making an electric car that can go over 100mph (true we don't need it that fast, but would be happy being able to merge onto a highway without being killed) and gets a few hundred miles between charging. Right now its really expensive, but hopefully as technology becomes cheaper it will be realistic. I can dream can't I? VCRs started at $800 now can get them for $39, LOL

Old 05-07-2008, 08:19 PM

5,012 posts, read 7,879,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryant View Post
I have a feeling that the demand is about ready to explode this summer. We are looking at easily gas prices going between 4-5 dollars/gallon. We are one major middle-east crisis away from gas prices soaring to near 7-9 dollars per gallon. Wussy cars are not, I will drive a Prius anytime. At this point I can appreciate 40 miles to the gallon as opposed to our gas guzzling Trailblazer. I could care less what the car says about my masculinity..it's a car after all...
I'm with you on gas prices. People that seem to think the oil boom is based on speculation are idiots. Granted, there is probably some at play, from a macroeconomic standpoint, increasing global demand along with the falling dollar are the major contributers the price of oil. Throw in a major hurricane in the gulf, and we could easily see gas over $6.00 during August/September 2008.

I'll be on a motorcycle though before I ever jump into a prius. Survival of the fittest folks. Poor people will not be driving and perhaps American consumers will finally start living within their means (or they keep their standard of living by charging it to the plastic). Something is going to give. We are headed for a global economic collapse lead by America. As we fall, so will the world causing major unrest, famine, wars, poverty, and the return of Christ. I'm just glad I don't rely on the super market as a source for my food. Us bitter country folks will fall back to our farms and ranches with our guns and our religion, while the left wing ideologues will be out in the streets wishing they had we we've got.

Old 05-07-2008, 08:27 PM

728 posts, read 1,678,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexianPatriot View Post
I'm with you on gas prices. People that seem to think the oil boom is based on speculation are idiots. Granted, there is probably some at play, from a macroeconomic standpoint, increasing global demand along with the falling dollar are the major contributers the price of oil. Throw in a major hurricane in the gulf, and we could easily see gas over $6.00 during August/September 2008.

I'll be on a motorcycle though before I ever jump into a prius. Survival of the fittest folks. Poor people will not be driving and perhaps American consumers will finally start living within their means (or they keep their standard of living by charging it to the plastic). Something is going to give. We are headed for a global economic collapse lead by America. As we fall, so will the world causing major unrest, famine, wars, poverty, and the return of Christ. I'm just glad I don't rely on the super market as a source for my food. Us bitter country folks will fall back to our farms and ranches with our guns and our religion, while the left wing ideologues will be out in the streets wishing they had we we've got.
One thing is for sure..there are a lot of variables that could occur this summer that would send gas prices soaring through the roof, possibly triggering a major recession or worse. An incident with Iran, or as you said..a major hurricane in the gulf. I'm with you on not being as dependent on Wal mart and the like, but we have a ways to go before we can be self sufficient in the aftermath of a major calamity. We live in a rural area, but only on an acre plus..so it's basically a big garden for us and that's it. Maybe it's time to be on the look out for a small farm...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections