Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2008, 04:43 PM

12,867 posts, read 14,959,854 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojo7 View Post
What I find funny is how everyone jumped all over Al Sharpton on this thread and posted articles on his overdue taxes. WHO GIVES A FLYING .... and some people totally missed the point here. The point was the hysterical analogy he made referring to Hillary not realizing it's over. Yah, Sharpton is a little wacky but he nailed this one right on the head. Here is the exact quote from the article.

As you know, I’ve been in the ministry of civil rights all my life, but had dealings with entertainers because of James Brown. The worst thing in the world is when an entertainer doesn’t know when the show is over. The audience is gone, the lights are down, you’re getting ready to cut the mics off and you are still on the stage singing. It’s over, it’s all right, it’s over. Come sing another day, but this show is over Senator Clinton.”
has anyone told sharpton that his show is over?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2008, 04:50 PM

437 posts, read 632,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purplecow1 View Post
I believe the poster was referring to the fact that Sharpton positions himself as an "advocate" of the black community and yet ends up being an embarrassment.
Al Sharpton is an advocate of the black community, whether he's an advocate in a way you'd like him to be or not. There's no question about that. As whether he's an embarrassment to the black race, all I can say on that is that if people are looking to Sharpton as a representative of the black race, those people don't like your race anyway. There are much better people to look to for representation than Al Sharpton. I don't dislike the man, but I think his time as a leader has passed. It's time to pass the torch and become a behind-the-scenes mentor.

I've always found it racist for anyone to suggest that Sharpton (or Jackson or anybody else) is THE black leader. There has never been THE black leader. Even Dr. King was not THE black leader, and anybody with a 4th rate schoolbook can tell you that. But if people are so tired of Sharpton, perhaps it's time for some younger people to step up and take the initiative. I don't recall anybody else suggesting a march for Sean Bell...

That being said, only a fool can't see why his taxes (which he's been fighting for years) is suddenly an issue.

Old 05-10-2008, 08:13 PM

3,414 posts, read 7,160,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeasisrael View Post
I should have refrained form the name calling...It's fun though. But how can you become self righteous all of a sudden when it was YOU who referred to Mr. Sharpton as "an idiot" you initiated the name calling! And your attempt to pull me into a discussion with your accusation below does indeed show a level of...well, never mind. I have responded and I do as well apologize for the name calling, I'm sorry I hurt your feelings. Where I come from that is part of the game. Adds a lil fire gets the juices flowing you know? Again I apologize. Now let me move on to Seattle.
I think you guys should go out on a date... The undercurrent is fiery...

Old 05-10-2008, 08:15 PM

5,160 posts, read 9,196,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laysayfair View Post
I think you guys should go out on a date... The undercurrent is fiery...
I feel bad for whoever dates him/her. Whoever doesn't agree with him/her is an idiot.

Old 05-10-2008, 08:48 PM

754 posts, read 1,452,224 times
Ok, this is an political forum which is why I clicked this link in the first place so not sure why Al Sharpton's role in the black community is the topic here. I have to disagree with the statement that Al is an advocate for the black community. While I don't do so strongly, I do disagree with it. Every since MLK was assasinated the media has been trying to see who our next "leader" will be. It's as if we as Black folks are mindless individuals who can not form an opinion on what to think about anything without a "leader" telling us what to do. I find that insulting, it's not done with any other group of people only us. It's like the long standing joke in the black community about this meeting we supposedly all attend. So when they (white people) ask a black person a question, they feel that that ONE individual can accurately speak for every black person in America. Now, for any other race it would be obvious that that's asinine or at least obviously ridiculous. But not for us. That's why they place the most controversial person in the spotlight because they're trying to see what we discussed in the meeting.

That being said, I respect the man. He sees an injustice and seeks to bring attention to it (thanks to being placed in that position by the media) and while he himself can't bring justice, he can get the conversation started that may eventually lead to change. That's to be respected. Regardless of color, it takes courage to take on the system and you don't have to be perfect to do it. So while not paying his taxes is bad its not a reflection on what's he's done so far. But I reject the notion of anyone being my leader. I lead myself and I am doing an ok job if I may say so myself

Getting back to the topic, it is time for Hillary to bow out. Every Republican candidate when reality set in backed out. But not Ms. Clinton, she is continuing to throw her money away to a useless cause. Her hope is that the superdelegates will go AGAINST the will of the people and support her anyway, just completely selfish. She doesn't care if her continuing this hurts the democratic party or not. It's all about her, that's enough to make me not like her. I voted for Obama not because I'm necessarily pro Obama I'm just EXTREMELY anti Hillary. GWB has proven tenfold that there needs to be a change in WA. She's just to similar to his ways and tactics for me to ever vote for her. But she's served as a very useful purpose for Obama. If he thinks she was bad, wait until the republicans go after him. I'm sure they'll find some Kindergarten teacher who has controversial views on something and then he'll have to defend himself against that.

Old 05-11-2008, 06:46 AM

1,142 posts, read 2,126,875 times
You have to admire Al Sharpton. He has taken on some controversial causes. On some of them he has been right on target. On others he was wrong and he looked foolish.

I enjoy seeing Al appear as an "expert" panelist on news shows. I doubt seriously that Al is an "expert" on anything but himself, Al Sharpton. Nevertheless Al always will state an opinion and try to defend it. Many times you can tell he is BSing by looking at his eyes.
At times he seems more interested in getting a laugh than making a point about the subject.

I like Al's "do". I'm not sure if he gets a "process" regularly or if his hair is naturally like that. Within the past few years Al's coffure has become more "slick" looking. he's pasting it down with some kind of heavy oil tonic or grease.

Al has never liked the Clintons. He sucked up to Bill while he was president but Bill didn't pay him much attention. Al is "all over" Obama trying to get an "in" with the Senator in case he wins. So far Obama isn't buying into Al's show.

Al did do Obama a favor. He got Jerimiah Wright to shut up.

Old 05-11-2008, 05:30 PM

1,142 posts, read 2,126,875 times
Sharpton badmouths Obama

Why Sharpton is badmouthing Obama :: CHICAGO SUN-TIMES :: (http://www.suntimes.com/news/anderson/301930,CST-EDT-MONROE18.article - broken link)

Sharpton tears into Obama

Sharpton tears into Obama :: CHICAGO SUN-TIMES :: Elections (http://www.suntimes.com/news/elections/294494,CST-NWS-obama13.article - broken link)

Old 05-11-2008, 05:48 PM

31,698 posts, read 41,169,770 times
As the Chicago article discusses. Sharpton is a whatever with no candidate seeking to have his support. Clinton and Obama have both kept their distance. What ever he is trying to broker for himself is doomed to failure. It is possible he is doing this as a backdoor way to help Obama so people don't continue to falsely connect them together.

Old 05-11-2008, 09:14 PM

9,725 posts, read 15,217,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeasisrael View Post
It's funny how you never hear any other groups speak of Rush Limbaugh, or Shaun Hannity, or any extremist as an embarrassment to white people, or an embarrassment to Italians.
Rush Limbaugh is an embarrassment to white people. However, as far as I know, he isn't Italian.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections