Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-29-2021, 07:16 AM

1,204 posts, read 1,217,309 times

Advertisements

I was just reading an old op-ed in the Baltimore Sun about Larry Hogan and this question popped in my head. It might have something to do with also reading a list of top 10 Republicans most likely to run and Hogan being on it.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2021, 10:46 AM

506 posts, read 476,799 times
I don't think Hogan will get the nomination, but I do think it's possible. The way it could happen is if the opposite of the 2016 primaries happens. Back then the establishment Republican vote split among numerous candidates while the populist vote largely unified around Trump. For 2024, if there are a bunch of Trump-style candidates running (including Trump himself, but especially if Donald decided not to run), and there was only one establishment favored candidate (like a Hogan), then the populist vote might get splintered enough to allow an establishment candidate to win. At this time I think that scenario is unlikely but not out of the realm of possibility.

But, honestly, the Republicans in 2024 probably won't need to nominate a moderate to win if Biden/Democrats are very unpopular by then. In 2008 they really had to get a moderate because by then Americans were tired of Republicans. In 2012 they needed a moderate because Obama was still relatively popular. By 2016, though, Obama and Democrats and Clinton were unpopular enough to make it possible for a more further right candidate to win. In 2024, if Democrats are still unpopular, then they'll be in the position that Republicans were in in 2008 and 2012, but I don't think there's any chance they'll go moderate. So, I think a Republican would be favored to win in 2024 no matter who it is.

Old 12-29-2021, 12:24 PM

84 posts, read 94,246 times
Tulsi Gabbard

Old 12-29-2021, 12:55 PM

25,952 posts, read 22,102,658 times
No one. Anyone leaning left is done, including many of the Democrats. Look at the news! Look at the prices on everything! Leaning left is done.

Old 12-29-2021, 04:59 PM

30,063 posts, read 18,658,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
No one. Anyone leaning left is done, including many of the Democrats. Look at the news! Look at the prices on everything! Leaning left is done.
Yes-

Running with the label of being "most on the left" in either political party would be as popular as The Bubonic Plague.

With the disasters of Biden and the left, every politician is going to be running from being labeled as "left leaning" , as the citizens have shown that they despise the current administration and all of its leftist policies.

NO DEMOCRAT would ever vote for a republican, even if they were "left leaning" and very few republicans would support them either. So there would be no advantage whatsoever to assume such a political stance. You would be alienated by your own party and shunned by the other party at the same time.

Old 12-29-2021, 05:19 PM

2,385 posts, read 2,339,791 times
If left you mean in terms of actual policy, Rubio or yes, even DJT. There also could be a wild card that currently isn't affiliated with the party.

Old 12-29-2021, 05:47 PM

30,628 posts, read 18,209,295 times
Either Donald Trump or Tulsi Gabbard.

Trump is not conservative. He just actually tried to keep his campaign promises, even in the face of the persistent leftist mob.

Old 12-29-2021, 07:11 PM

271 posts, read 294,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
NO DEMOCRAT would ever vote for a republican, even if they were "left leaning" and very few republicans would support them either.
I disagree, as shown by the Biden voters who voted for Youngkin in Virginia. A moderate Republican could pick up a significant fraction of centrist Democrats who are turned off by Donald Trump but don't like the radical woke left either. Especially if Biden is too old/sick/dead to run in 2024 and Harris is the nominee.

Old 12-29-2021, 07:59 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 20 days ago)

29,549 posts, read 16,535,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by secondbreakfast View Post
I disagree, as shown by the Biden voters who voted for Youngkin in Virginia. A moderate Republican could pick up a significant fraction of centrist Democrats who are turned off by Donald Trump but don't like the radical woke left either. Especially if Biden is too old/sick/dead to run in 2024 and Harris is the nominee.
This is a false narrative .

Youngkin got 300,000 less votes than Trump, Youngkin didnt even match Trumps numbers in Virginia Beach even though Youngkin won it and Trump lost it.

The only area in the entire state where Youngkin got better numbers than Trump was Rural western Virignia.

I mean, im sure there is some Biden Youngkin voter somewhere, but there is no data suggesting that his how Youngkin won.

Old 01-03-2022, 12:29 PM

30,063 posts, read 18,658,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by secondbreakfast View Post
Right............................. Romney and McCain were "leftist republicans". How many democrats voted for them?

The reason Youngkin won in Virginia was that the democrats had embraced far left CRT lunacy and scared the crap out of parents, who for once stood up to the far left liberals. Make no mistake of it, MOST of those same democrat parents will vote democrat in the next election cycle, even if Jesus Christ ran as the republican.

There is no way in hell that ANY democrat will support a republican; thus a republican who "leans left" in an attempt to attract democrat voters will not get any democrat or republican voters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections